Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Manwon Lender

World Autism Awareness Day 2021: What you need to know

Manwon Lender

Autism affects an estimated 1 in 54 children annually, according to 2020 data released by the US Centers for Disease Prevention and Control. This number represents a 10% increase over 2014, when the estimate was 1 in 59.

In many ways, Kevin "Knox" Johnson III is just like most 8-year-olds.But the Baltimore boy is different from other kids in one major way: He is autistic, and his mother said he embraces that as a superpower. While the Johnson family celebrates autism every day, the party is particularly meaningful on April 2, annual World Autism Awareness Day.

"When you've met one autistic person, you've met one autistic person; that experience tells you nothing about autism as a whole," said Shore, who is autistic. "We need to be aware of, accept, and appreciate the incredible diversity that we find within the autism spectrum. What that suggests is that we need to get to know autistic people as individuals as opposed to a collection of characteristics." 

World Autism Awareness Day 2021: What you need to know (msn.com)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Piney

:whistle:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

acute
Posted (edited)

Most severely autistic people are hidden away behind closed doors. I'm talking about the ones you can't communicate with.

They are stuck in their own tiny world, and are not capable of having a conversation.

They can't cope with changes or unexpected interactions, and prefer every day to be the same, so they are kept in familiar surroundings most of the time.

It's a thing that many people are not aware of, because they've never seen it.

Edited by acute
  • Sad 1

Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, acute said:

Most severely autistic people are hidden away behind closed doors. I'm talking about the ones you can't communicate with.

They are stuck in their own tiny world, and are not capable of having a conversation.

They can't cope with changes or unexpected interactions, and prefer every day to be the same, so they are kept in familiar surroundings most of the time.

It's a thing that many people are not aware of, because they've never seen it.

That is very sad, no one deserves to be treated in that manner because no matter how disabling a medical condition can be. People like you describe are more alert and able to learn then they are given credit for. My wife has niece here in Korea who is on the spectrum at the level your describing, and thats how she is treated, it made me very Sad to see it:cry:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

acute

@Manwon Lender

Most people, when they hear "autism", think of Asperger's syndrome, and somehow being gifted.

They don't know about the severe end of the spectrum.

Some people with severe autism need to wear a Head Guard, because without it they will bang their head up the wall, or bite someone or themselves.

• Sad 1

Manwon Lender
2 minutes ago, acute said:

@Manwon Lender

Most people, when they hear "autism", think of Asperger's syndrome, and somehow being gifted.

They don't know about the severe end of the spectrum.

Some people with severe autism need to wear a Head Guard, because without it they will bang their head up the wall, or bite someone or themselves.

My wifes niece is not at the level of the Spectrum where she will accidential harm herself, but she is just above it. When ever we visit I always sit by her, at first she became very excited, but over the last few years when we visit that doesnt occur anymore. So she does have a perception of here surroundings and she has the ability to recognize others. I think if more time was taken and spent with her she could become much more functional that she currently is.:yes:

• Like 1

acute
Posted (edited)

Most people don't know how severe the severe end of the spectrum is.

Edited by acute
  • Sad 1