Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Poeple stink at fact-checking

Grim Reaper 6

Psychologists like me call this phenomenon the Moses Illusion. It’s just one example of how people are very bad at picking up on factual errors in the world around them. Even when people know the correct information, they often fail to notice errors and will even go on to use that incorrect information in other situations. Research from cognitive psychology shows that people are naturally poor fact-checkers and it is very difficult for us to compare things we read or hear to what we already know about a topic. In what’s been called an era of “fake news,” this reality has important implications for how people consume journalism, social media and other public information.

Why you stink at fact-checking (msn.com)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Always reminds me of terminator 2 where the psychologist sees for his own eyes what he saw when the terminator walks through the bars, but denies it forever.:lol:

• Like 1

Psychologists like me call this phenomenon the Moses Illusion. It’s just one example of how people are very bad at picking up on factual errors in the world around them.

So was you around when moses was around to confirm Moses ever existed?  or is the story just that a story?   People claim jesus is coming back, yet how??  Only zombies come back from the DEAD!! or, is the bible telling a story about somethink else?  Sun sounds like son.  :o

On 4/5/2021 at 5:05 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Psychologists like me call this phenomenon the Moses Illusion. It’s just one example of how people are very bad at picking up on factual errors in the world around them. Even when people know the correct information, they often fail to notice errors and will even go on to use that incorrect information in other situations. Research from cognitive psychology shows that people are naturally poor fact-checkers and it is very difficult for us to compare things we read or hear to what we already know about a topic. In what’s been called an era of “fake news,” this reality has important implications for how people consume journalism, social media and other public information.

Why you stink at fact-checking (msn.com)

An excellent article - thanks for the find.  Recommended it to several people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kenemet said:

An excellent article - thanks for the find.  Recommended it to several people.

Thank you very much, I hoped some members may find this interesting.:tu:

• Like 2

People are always in favor of the answer desired and are loath to give it up, once given.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

People are always in favor of the answer desired and are loath to give it up, once given.

More over...people these days are just kind of stupid. 

Welcome home Jesus! 

~

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, joc said:

More over...people these days are just kind of stupid. 

These days? Exactly in what Age were they wiser?

4 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

These days? Exactly in what Age were they wiser?

I just remember something called Common Sense...because it was just stuff that everyone kind of knew.  That is all gone.  There is no more Common Sense.  It's been overgrown with stupid.  Like when we were kids.  Overall the population seemed to have more of a clue...but then again...that would be from the perspective of 'a kid' so you might have a point.  I do remember looking at my father in laws 8th grade math book.  It was incredibly non-understandable to me.  

2 hours ago, joc said:

I just remember something called Common Sense...because it was just stuff that everyone kind of knew.  That is all gone.  There is no more Common Sense.  It's been overgrown with stupid.  Like when we were kids.  Overall the population seemed to have more of a clue...but then again...that would be from the perspective of 'a kid' so you might have a point.  I do remember looking at my father in laws 8th grade math book.  It was incredibly non-understandable to me.  

I don't see, looking back on history, an era where people are anymore or any less foolish than they are today. The difference, I think, is one's perception of the world at different stages of one's life. When we were younger, we were blissfully unaware of much of the world, indeed, much of the country. Twenty-four hour news channels and  the web changed all that and now the distant and faraway are shoved in our faces, constantly. One get no respite save for cutting oneself off from the MSM and web surfing judiciously. Also, we have transitioned from a conservative agrarian civilization to more liberal urban civilization which, perhaps, is the author of your distress. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I don't see, looking back on history, an era where people are anymore or any less foolish than they are today. The difference, I think, is one's perception of the world at different stages of one's life. When we were younger, we were blissfully unaware of much of the world, indeed, much of the country. Twenty-four hour news channels and  the web changed all that and now the distant and faraway are shoved in our faces, constantly. One get no respite save for cutting oneself off from the MSM and web surfing judiciously. Also, we have transitioned from a conservative agrarian civilization to more liberal urban civilization which, perhaps, is the author of your distress. 

I think more than the Liberal Urban Civilization it is the 24 hour news networks...and the 'no respite' from it.  Which is why I have cut myself off from it.  The news story is the news story...but a lot of people spend literally hours of their lives analyzing said story.  I think many of us have never really ever acquired the ability to actually think for ourselves and so we are prey to a propagandist media.  It is that 'dumbing down' ...not so much the educational system...but the glomming on to the media narrative that has actually created the liberal urban civilization.   A population of Media Zombies and Internet Idiots is pretty much what I am talking about.   It doesn't really cause me distress though.  It is what it is.  But yes, the 'good ole days' are an age perception...memories that might or might not and probably mostly not, reflect the reality of the day.

Overall I have to agree with you.   People don't change.  We as a species have always been a bit 'tilted'.

12 minutes ago, joc said:

I think more than the Liberal Urban Civilization it is the 24 hour news networks...and the 'no respite' from it.  Which is why I have cut myself off from it.  The news story is the news story...but a lot of people spend literally hours of their lives analyzing said story.  I think many of us have never really ever acquired the ability to actually think for ourselves and so we are prey to a propagandist media.  It is that 'dumbing down' ...not so much the educational system...but the glomming on to the media narrative that has actually created the liberal urban civilization.   A population of Media Zombies and Internet Idiots is pretty much what I am talking about.   It doesn't really cause me distress though.  It is what it is.  But yes, the 'good ole days' are an age perception...memories that might or might not and probably mostly not, reflect the reality of the day.

Overall I have to agree with you.   People don't change.  We as a species have always been a bit 'tilted'.

"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and admirable! In action, how like an angel! In apprehension, how like a God! The beauty of the world, the paragon of animals, and yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me, nor woman neither, 'though by your smiling you seem to say so."   HAMLET

• Like 1

Why do you stink at spelling, its people not poeple 

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2021 at 10:28 PM, MissJatti said:

I dont know, I think maybe I just stink in general!!!:lol:

On 4/26/2021 at 6:28 AM, MissJatti said:

Fact checked...

• Haha 1