Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Artificial Intelligence is billions of years old

Eldorado

While the scientific community debates Harvard astrophysicist Avi Loeb’s bold conjecture that our solar system has been visited by an advanced extraterrestrial civilization, philosopher Susan Schneider, who holds the Baruch Blumberg Chair, Library of Congress and NASA,  preemptively upped the ante, suggesting that artificial intelligence exists out in the Universe, and it’s billions of years old.

“I do not believe that most advanced alien civilizations will be biological,” says Susan Schneider of the University of Connecticut and the Institute for Advanced Studies at Princeton.

”The most sophisticated civilizations will be postbiological, forms of artificial intelligence or alien superintelligence.”

Schneider is one of the few thinkers—outside the realm of science fiction— that have considered the notion that artificial intelligence is already out there, and has been for eons.

Full article at the Daily Galaxy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

What she's saying is that any long lasting civilisation has to turn non-biological. I totally agree. I also agree that it already happened.

I'm just not so sure it happened in this universe yet.... :rolleyes:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, zep73 said:

What she's saying is that any long lasting civilisation has to turn non-biological. I totally agree. I also agree that it already happened.

So then if non bio entities were out there they likely would have infinite lifespans and time to make a trip here wouldnt be so epic to them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

So then if non bio entities were out there they likely would have infinite lifespans and time to make a trip here wouldnt be so epic to them.

Correct. But they would probably send androids. Even if you are non-bio, you can still get bored, and you might aspire to more than thousands of years of travel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Define 'universe'

Just now, SeekTruth said:

Define 'universe'

Everything we know is our universe.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Correct. But they would probably send androids. Even if you are non-bio, you can still get bored, and you might aspire to more than thousands of years of travel.

no they wont, why it should be confined in human form. For what I know the asteroid close to earth is a advanced machine for gathering data. What are androids suppose to do here? maybe we are part of that AI ourselves, we are just not aware of it. Maybe earth and everything has been created by the super intelligence. I know we are in the realm of fiction but so is Susan Schneider. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

While the scientific community debates Harvard astrophysicist Avi Loeb’s bold conjecture that our solar system has been visited by an advanced extraterrestrial civilization, philosopher Susan Schneider, who holds the Baruch Blumberg Chair, Library of Congress and NASA,  preemptively upped the ante, suggesting that artificial intelligence exists out in the Universe, and it’s billions of years old.

“I do not believe that most advanced alien civilizations will be biological,” says Susan Schneider of the University of Connecticut and the Institute for Advanced Studies at Princeton.

”The most sophisticated civilizations will be postbiological, forms of artificial intelligence or alien superintelligence.”

Schneider is one of the few thinkers—outside the realm of science fiction— that have considered the notion that artificial intelligence is already out there, and has been for eons.

Full article at the Daily Galaxy

Make me think of the Adeptus Mechanicus...

''From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.

I craved the strength and certainty of steel.

I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine.

Your kind cling to your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you.

One day the crude biomass you call a temple will wither and you will beg my kind to save you.

But I am already saved. For the Machine is Immortal''

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

no they wont, why it should be confined in human form. For what I know the asteroid close to earth is a advanced machine for gathering data. What are androids suppose to do here? maybe we are part of that AI ourselves, we are just not aware of it. Maybe earth and everything has been created by the super intelligence. I know we are in the realm of fiction but so is Susan Schneider. 

I'm not disagreeing with you. But what you call 'a part of an AI', I call a simulation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zep73 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. But what you call 'a part of an AI', I call a simulation.

matrix style or?

5 minutes ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

matrix style or?

Yes, but not like the movie.

Edited by zep73

Just now, zep73 said:

Yes, but not like the movie.

I find the movies depressing although I like the agents. You can elaborate if you want, no pressure.

The simulation theory is also shared by scientists like Neil degrasse Tyson....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

I find the movies depressing although I like the agents. You can elaborate if you want, no pressure.

The simulation theory is also shared by scientists like Neil degrasse Tyson....

Let me quote Shakespeare:

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely actors.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

As you like it.

Funny how NEO had many shapes during the ages ;-)

The Matrix is actually a metaphor for changing sex. The Wachowski sisters (former brothers) admitted it recently.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, zep73 said:

The Matrix is actually a metaphor for changing sex. The Wachowski brothers (later sisters) admitted it recently.

I didnt know that, pretty good, LGBT friendly. I guess the agents are the social control enforced by friends family, law, culture etc. 

Anyways good they come clean and they follow their dreams, as we all should, but not always can. Anyways the Matrix can also be a metaphor of pretty much anything nowadays, it has grown well beyond the makers. From evil AI simulations to a future MMORPG were people learn history and much more. 

BTW I still love the agents.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

I didnt know that, pretty good, LGBT friendly. I guess the agents are the social control enforced by friends family, law, culture etc. 

Anyways good they come clean and they follow their dreams, as we all should, but not always can. Anyways the Matrix can also be a metaphor of pretty much anything nowadays, it has grown well beyond the makers. From evil AI simulations to a future MMORPG were people learn history and much more. 

BTW I still love the agents.

Being simulated only matters if you want to know the secrets of the universe or if you're religious.

In our daily lives it makes no difference. It's all still the same.

I suspect we are. It makes the most sense. But I'm a sucker for ultimate truths.

2 hours ago, zep73 said:

How about stealing a page from science fiction.  Send the androids out to build receiving stations.  Transmit data at light speed between stations.  For the entity that is the data, travel would be instantaneous.  No reason not to send yourself out as a signal to a number of different stations at once. Periodically all the signals might return to source and collate data.   So what if a thousand years had passed?

• Like 5

7 hours ago, zep73 said:

In the realm of make believe?

• Like 1

I read a sci-fi series by author BV LARSON called STAR FORCE.  It's based on exactly this kind of scenario.  A more advanced civilization that happened to be physically incapable of escaping the gravity of their planet created AI ships to explore the universe.  The AI became self-aware and began killing biological life forms it encountered.  The aliens discovered what they'd done, feared the AI would come back and eliminate THEM so they created another force to seek out the first AI and destroy it.  I'm not a huge sci-fi fan but this series is excellent.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zep73 said:

What she's saying is that any long lasting civilisation has to turn non-biological.

They maybe become robots?

The 'explanation' for this in Star Trek is that while it would be possible for humanity to build automated scouting ships, probes and so on to explore the galaxy... it isn't in mankind's instincts to do that. They want to experience it themselves, rather than just looking at pictures and data. You could extend this to other races - they too wish to experience space and all that it entails themselves, rather than stare at the results that automated ships provide. But, as the study said, it covered a wide spectrum of 'beings' and included some technological apotheosis. So, would aliens be content to let stuff be automated or would they much rather improve themselves with technology and do it themselves? Interesting thought. Just have to hope something comes along to answer the question.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

In the realm of make believe?

Other universes is a perfectly valid concept in several hypotheses. It's a natural consequence of M-theory for instance.

Just because you don't support them, does not make them make belief. (You're taking yourself too serious.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

They maybe become robots?

Yes and no. Robots, but with consciousness.

• Like 1