Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Artificial Intelligence is billions of years old

Eldorado

26 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Okay, I have one better, but with a different approach.

Quantum computing is only possible if the superposition is real!

In 2019 NASA and Google performed the world's first quantum computation:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/ames/quantum-supremacy

That's proof of concept.

That's fine as long as you are defining superposition as the potential for the particle to manifest itself in one of two states, as you did in post #98

Just now, SeekTruth said:

That's fine as long as you are defining superposition as the potential for the particle to manifest itself in one of two states, as you did in post #98

I see no problem in that definition.

Just remember Wigner's friend. The same particle manifested twice, in two different states.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 7:14 AM, Eldorado said:

While the scientific community debates Harvard astrophysicist Avi Loeb’s bold conjecture that our solar system has been visited by an advanced extraterrestrial civilization, philosopher Susan Schneider, who holds the Baruch Blumberg Chair, Library of Congress and NASA,  preemptively upped the ante, suggesting that artificial intelligence exists out in the Universe, and it’s billions of years old.

“I do not believe that most advanced alien civilizations will be biological,” says Susan Schneider of the University of Connecticut and the Institute for Advanced Studies at Princeton.

”The most sophisticated civilizations will be postbiological, forms of artificial intelligence or alien superintelligence.”

Schneider is one of the few thinkers—outside the realm of science fiction— that have considered the notion that artificial intelligence is already out there, and has been for eons.

Full article at the Daily Galaxy

I think the chances of biomechanical hybrids are more likely.  Most species will not willingly forego their biological reproduction, even though they may amend themselves technologically after they reach maturity.  Also, as humans are pretty attached to habits like eating and sleeping, despite the fact that potentially we could do away with them, is it really so far fetched to suppose that aliens might have similar social rituals and appetites that they won't want to forego?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zep73 said:

The same particle manifested twice, in two different states.

But at the same time?

Edited by SeekTruth
Edit: I'll be back to this after I've read that article you shared.

2 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

But at the same time?

Under the right circumstances, yes.
If two observers look at the same particle, at the same time, and don't talk or share information, there is a 50% chance that they'll see two different spins at the same time.

That's why some have concluded that objective reality does not exist.

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

I think the chances of biomechanical hybrids are more likely.  Most species will not willingly forego their biological reproduction, even though they may amend themselves technologically after they reach maturity.  Also, as humans are pretty attached to habits like eating and sleeping, despite the fact that potentially we could do away with them, is it really so far fetched to suppose that aliens might have similar social rituals and appetites that they won't want to forego?

Vat grown brains run through simulations then placed within a mechanical body after certain amount of time.

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Idk, gen grevious left a lot to be desired, coff coff,

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Most species will not willingly forego their biological reproduction, even though they may amend themselves technologically after they reach maturity

Most species? what species are you referring to?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zep73 said:

If two observers look at the same particle, at the same time, and don't talk or share information, there is a 50% chance that they'll see two different spins at the same time.

Zep, thanks for your continued willingness to explain. Discussions like this really help me to learn and to gain different perspectives. I appreciate the non-confrontational and humble approach, in juxtaposition with the pompous attitude of some here.

From the article:

"Something called quantum superposition allows a single qubit – a unit of data in a quantum computer – to exist as various quantities at the same time."

Can you further expound on what exactly is meant by qubits existing as various quantities at the same time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeekTruth said:

From the article:

"Something called quantum superposition allows a single qubit – a unit of data in a quantum computer – to exist as various quantities at the same time."

Can you further expound on what exactly is meant by qubits existing as various quantities at the same time?

Although processing is a logical and automatic process, it is rather complicated to explain. I think a video does a better job than I could, if you don't mind.

Basic processing explained: (You can skip this, if you are familiar with it)

Spoiler

Quantum computers:

Edited by zep73
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, zep73 said:

Although processing is a logical and automatic process, it is rather complicated to explain. I think a video does a better job than I could, if you don't mind.

Basic processing explained: (You can skip this, if you are familiar with it)

No!!  No!!! No!!!!!!!!!!!

Please....I don't want to know what Chipsets are...please don't make me watch anymore...I promise I'll be nice...please...Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Haha 2

On 4/13/2021 at 12:17 AM, SeekTruth said:

In that case, I reject the notion.

Thanks for telling us - you've saved us a huge amount of research funding.  We'll shut down quantum research immediately.

Next you should advise us on what to do about relativity, as that too includes a number of what you no doubt perceive as 'contradictions'.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Thanks for telling us - you've saved us a huge amount of research funding.  We'll shut down quantum research immediately.

Next you should advise us on what to do about relativity, as that too includes a number of what you no doubt perceive as 'contradictions'.

426398596_haveyoualways.jpg.b53f6cf34fcbd2d417405c1d61b9a9a9.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Quantum research is a worthwhile pursuit. Quantum Research is a worthless pursuit. Both propositions are true. Both propositions are false.  Any questions?

Anything goes when the law of non-contradiction doesn't apply. Capisce?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2021 at 6:06 AM, Dejarma said:

Most species? what species are you referring to?

Well us for starters, but think about it more closely... Natural selection invariably seems to make sexual reproduction pleasurable in the vast bulk of the species on earth too, so likely I speak for them also. 

On 4/13/2021 at 5:36 AM, the13bats said:

Idk, gen grevious left a lot to be desired, coff coff,

I was thinking more in terms of a species whose natural processes are supported and improved by nanotech than one who had substantial robotic components, but hey, say what you like about Grevious, he was a pretty scary lightsaber duelist, and a standout villain in an otherwise very mediocre franchise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 4/12/2021 at 2:02 PM, zep73 said:

Hey zep.

Remembered you mentioning Wigner and this video came out today.

Sabine is my favorite explainer of physics stuff. Along with Science Asylum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Hey zep.

Remembered you mentioning Wigner and this video came out today.

Sabine is my favorite explainer of physics stuff. Along with Science Asylum.

Hey onlooker.

Yes she's describing the math. It's the 'shut up and calculate approach' to quantum oddities.

• Like 1

@zep73

I get that's she's describing the math. But correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what most of quantum physics is about? The math to describe what is being observed?

I'm in no way, shape or form an expert in QM, but I try to follow as best I can. Not sure of your expertise in the field, but maybe you can help me.

This may not be the right thread for this so I'm going to try to find the appropriate one.