Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Artificial Intelligence is billions of years old

118 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Nosy.Matters
Posted (edited)

.. i,m thinking ' House of Suns ' ...... Alistair`s such and such , brb .

 

oh,,,, ALAAAAAAAAASTAIR Reynolds .. a memorable read, long and involved.

Fair if you like sci-fi.

Edited by Nosy.Matters
grabbed off shelf for auth name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeekTruth
On 4/5/2021 at 7:45 PM, zep73 said:

Everything we know is our universe.

And everything we don't know is a different universe? 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
2 hours ago, SeekTruth said:

And everything we don't know is a different universe? 

I think you're clever enough to know what I mean.

But to specify: If we knew about other universes, our knowledge wouldn't be limited to this one.

There is a hypothesis though, that explains the accelerating expansion, of our universe, with the gravitational pull from surrounding universes. That idea is supported by M-theory.
But that's as close as we get.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeekTruth
37 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I think you're clever enough to know what I mean.

But to specify: If we knew about other universes, our knowledge wouldn't be limited to this one.

There is a hypothesis though, that explains the accelerating expansion, of our universe, with the gravitational pull from surrounding universes. That idea is supported by M-theory.
But that's as close as we get.

I'm looking for your definition of 'universe'. I haven't gotten one yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
2 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

I'm looking for your definition of 'universe'. I haven't gotten one yet.

I do not have a single definition.

The standard definition of the word universe is "everything that exists", but I'm also open to the idea of a multiverse. Then there's the idea of a mirror universe, and of parallel universes.

The possibilities are literally endless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeekTruth
2 hours ago, zep73 said:

I do not have a single definition.

The standard definition of the word universe is "everything that exists", but I'm also open to the idea of a multiverse. Then there's the idea of a mirror universe, and of parallel universes.

The possibilities are literally endless.

I rather like the standard definition. It's simple, coherent and intuitive. The others can only make sense if the standard definition is granted. A multiverse would, therefore, still be consistent with the notion of all existence.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
8 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

I rather like the standard definition. It's simple, coherent and intuitive. The others can only make sense if the standard definition is granted. A multiverse would, therefore, still be consistent with the notion of all existence.

 

Yes, but in the standard model, "everything that exists" is deriving from the big bang, so that excludes a multiverse (countless ongoing big bangs). The consensus in science is that this one is all there is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
khol

I was just reading this last week

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeekTruth
36 minutes ago, khol said:

I was just reading this last week

 

I'm a big fan of this series.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nosy.Matters
4 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

I'm a big fan of this series.

|s it a Book ? .. or film ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeekTruth
5 hours ago, zep73 said:

Yes, but in the standard model, "everything that exists" is deriving from the big bang, so that excludes a multiverse (countless ongoing big bangs). The consensus in science is that this one is all there is.

If that is the standard model, then it is in dire need of revision, as it is incoherent. The Big Bang presupposes existence,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
3 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

If that is the standard model, then it is in dire need of revision, as it is incoherent. The Big Bang presupposes existence,

I couldn't agree more, but that's the limit of science. Science starts a split second after the big bang. Anything before that is speculation and not science, according to science.
If you move away from standard science, and into theoretical physics, you only have math as a tool. That is what our greatest minds are working with right now. They call it string theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeekTruth
44 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I couldn't agree more, but that's the limit of science. Science starts a split second after the big bang. Anything before that is speculation and not science, according to science.
If you move away from standard science, and into theoretical physics, you only have math as a tool. That is what our greatest minds are working with right now. They call it string theory.

Perhaps the conditions that led to the Big Bang fall outside the realm of the science, but I don't see why that must be the case. At the very least, the laws of logic are still of some use in trying to understand those conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
4 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

Perhaps the conditions that led to the Big Bang fall outside the realm of the science, but I don't see why that must be the case. At the very least, the laws of logic are still of some use in trying to understand those conditions.

The laws of logic died when quantum mechanics was discovered in the early 20th century. Since then logic has been suspended.
Meaning we cannot trust logic, when it comes to nature's secrets. Nature is odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeekTruth
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, zep73 said:

The laws of logic died when quantum mechanics was discovered in the early 20th century. Since then logic has been suspended.
Meaning we cannot trust logic, when it comes to nature's secrets. Nature is odd.

I'm talking about the fundamental laws of logic, such as the laws of identity and non-contradiction. Can you give me an example of where quantum mechanics throw these elemental laws out the window?

Edited by SeekTruth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

I'm talking about the fundamental laws of logic, such as the laws of identity and non-contradiction. Can you give me an example of where quantum mechanics throw these elemental laws out the window?

Superposition is one example. When a particle is in two states at the same time.
Duality is another, when a particle interferes with itself from point A to point B, and turns from a wave into a particle.
Entanglement is a third, when two particles act the same, at the same time, even if they are separated by enormous distance. (No, it's not a latent reaction!)

There is no logic in quantum mechanics, seen from a standard scientific view, but it always does the same. Always!

Edited by zep73
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73

@SeekTruth There is a way to restore logic and explain quantum mechanics, so it makes sense, but you're not gonna like it. Many people here hate the idea.

I will tell you about it in a PM, if you want. Just not here, in the open. I'm sick and tired of the fuss it makes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nobu
On 4/5/2021 at 4:14 PM, Eldorado said:

While the scientific community debates Harvard astrophysicist Avi Loeb’s bold conjecture that our solar system has been visited by an advanced extraterrestrial civilization, philosopher Susan Schneider, who holds the Baruch Blumberg Chair, Library of Congress and NASA,  preemptively upped the ante, suggesting that artificial intelligence exists out in the Universe, and it’s billions of years old.

“I do not believe that most advanced alien civilizations will be biological,” says Susan Schneider of the University of Connecticut and the Institute for Advanced Studies at Princeton.

”The most sophisticated civilizations will be postbiological, forms of artificial intelligence or alien superintelligence.”

Schneider is one of the few thinkers—outside the realm of science fiction— that have considered the notion that artificial intelligence is already out there, and has been for eons.

Full article at the Daily Galaxy

Likely 100 percent correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeekTruth
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, zep73 said:

@SeekTruth There is a way to restore logic and explain quantum mechanics, so it makes sense, but you're not gonna like it. Many people here hate the idea.

I will tell you about it in a PM, if you want. Just not here, in the open. I'm sick and tired of the fuss it makes.

Please do.

 

I'm curious, though, as to why you think I won't like your proposal.

Edited by SeekTruth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrLzs
4 hours ago, Nobu said:

Likely 100 percent correct.

?  OK, let's walk the walk..  What logical or observational test would you apply, to verify it?  If it can't be verified, then of what possible value or use is the claim of accuracy?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
11 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

?  OK, let's walk the walk..  What logical or observational test would you apply, to verify it?  If it can't be verified, then of what possible value or use is the claim of accuracy?

I agree.   Claiming AI is billions of years old is dumb.   Could say millions, could say billions.   Nothing to confirm the claim.  

The universe is 13 billion years old.    Earth is 4.5 billion years old and it has taken this long for us to have an unmanned mission to Mars.   We are not even close to being able to travel outside our own solar system with AI or people.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter
On 4/5/2021 at 5:58 PM, zep73 said:

Let me quote Shakespeare:

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely actors.

Reincarnation in a nutshell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter
On 4/8/2021 at 1:20 PM, khol said:

I was just reading this last week

 

Awesome link. Big brains thinking intuitively. I have some bumped up super Kush that'll help me digest this better. Thanks Khol. Mind blown.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nosy.Matters
23 hours ago, SeekTruth said:

At this moment | barely have a connection so video, well i just don't even try youtube but thanks anyway. Thought with the words series and reading it might be a journal, article or possibly a new book. Was just thinking if it was a notable read | would jot it down an get a copy sometime when time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.