Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US considering joining boycott of 2022 Beijing olympics, State Department says

spartan max2

WASHINGTON – The United States and its allies are considering a joint boycott of the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, the State Department said Tuesday.

“It [a joint boycott] is something that we certainly wish to discuss,” State spokesman Ned Price told reporters when asked about the Biden administration’s plans ahead of the international games.

“A coordinated approach will not only be in our interest but also in the interest of our allies and partners,” he added.

Price said the United States has not yet made a decision but was concerned about China’s egregious human rights abuses. The Olympic Games are due to take place between Feb. 4 and Feb. 20.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/06/us-considering-joining-boycott-of-2022-beijing-olympics.html

Due to human rights abuses such as the millions in "reeducation camps".

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The sad thing about this is the athletes who trained so hard and may never get another shot like this at their sport.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, susieice said:

The sad thing about this is the athletes who trained so hard and may never get another shot like this at their sport.

They could be invited to go somewhere else. An alternative winter games in Europe, US or Canada.

Based on the weather here today they could come to the UK. :santa:

• Like 3

Oh the Snowflake Olympics.  I initially thought we were discussing real sports, in which people are actually interested.

Anyway, best of luck with this action being as successful as the 1980 boycott of Moscow.  At least then Iran and USA agreed.

Edited by Golden Duck

1 hour ago, susieice said:

Not quite as sad as people in concentration camps being forcibly sterilized in order to more swiftly change demographics.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Oh the Snowflake Olympics.  I initially thought we were discussing real sports, in which people are actually interested.

Anyway, best of luck with this action being as successful as the 1980 boycott of Moscow.  At least then Iran and USA agreed.

I actually watch more of the winter olympics than the regular :lol: haha

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I actually watch more of the winter olympics than the regular :lol: haha

Same

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Me too

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Not quite as sad as people in concentration camps being forcibly sterilized in order to more swiftly change demographics.

I know but it isn't the athletes' fault. Beijing put in a bid probably years ago and won it. Weren't they going to boycott the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing too, but then didn't?

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

I know but it isn't the athletes' fault. Beijing put in a bid probably years ago and won it. Weren't they going to boycott the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing too, but then didn't?

I'd honestly be suprised if they followed through boycotting this one. But it's interesting to see them talking about it.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I'd honestly be suprised if they followed through boycotting this one. But it's interesting to see them talking about it.

Its a threat that can be hung over China. 

China is looking forward to showing how marvelous they are on the world stage, they probably take this threat more seriously than nations not buying 5G telecoms from their businesses. Or many other complaints they receive about antisocial behavior. 

• Like 4

lol, Biden administration is doubling down on virtue signaling , what else is new,  however i think it is a good move, we should stay out , not to get most of the rest of the world angry, and  declining their women's teams compete with our men on women teams,   

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

U.S. State Department backs away from the idea of a Beijing Olympics boycott

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/06/us-considering-joining-boycott-of-2022-beijing-olympics.html

Well that lasted long lol

Our position on the 2022 Olympics has not changed. We have not discussed and are not discussing any joint boycott with allies and partners,” a senior State Department official wrote in an emailed statement to CNBC.

• Like 1

What's the point of boycotting the Olympics, if we're still going to buy and import their stuff? Make a "statement" like it's going to do any good? Just another kneejerk Liberal ploy to avoid doing anything concrete and upset the lucrative China Trade applecart. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Ask yourself, "what would JC do?"  Jimmy Carter, that is.

What'd he do?