Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Flatwoods Monster can still be heard hissing

Eldorado

....it was just before dark on a day in September of 1952 and a few kids were enjoying their time outside. Edward May, Freddie May, Neil Nunley and Tommy Hyer, all young residents of the town of Flatwoods, were playing on the lawn of the Flatwoods Elementary School. Suddenly, a bright light streaked across the sky overhead and appeared to crash into a hillside on G. Bailey Fisher’s farm.

The boys ran to see what it was they saw in the sky. The May home was on their way, so they stopped to tell their mother, Kathleen May, what they had seen. Kathleen called on National Guardsman Eugene Lemon and the family dog, Richie, to accompany her and the boys to the crash site.

Upon reaching the crash site, they smelled the air, which they complained of having a “metallic” smell. They kept hearing high-pitched noises come from the other side of the woods, which piqued their interest. The boys then encountered an horrific sight.

Full story at the WV Gazette: Link

The Flatwoods Monster: Wikipedia

After hearing enough about the Mothman I don't discount this one either. 

It does appear at least one adult witness is trying to be serious Kathleen May. 

First I've heard of the Flatwoods Monster, so let's get a baseline reading:

Papameter Reading

Unknown Creature  60%     Hoax   20%        Misidentification of Normal Creature (like Owl) 20%

Factor: The story tells of the kids being nauseous and sick the next day. That reminded me of claims of the Mothman vibrating at an unearthly vibrational rates that people can't handle.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Thanks 1

Well, this is so outrageous that it is either totally true or totally BS. Here is what - to me, shows this story to be fabrication
"Some people say that around the anniversary of the event, you can hear hissing or smell a metallic smell near the forest of the edges of Flatwoods."

So this entity crashes into earth and comes back to celebrate it every year - every one of human years. Uh huh. Urban legend.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Well, this is so outrageous that it is either totally true or totally BS. Here is what - to me, shows this story to be fabrication
"Some people say that around the anniversary of the event, you can hear hissing or smell a metallic smell near the forest of the edges of Flatwoods."

So this entity crashes into earth and comes back to celebrate it every year - every one of human years. Uh huh. Urban legend.

Yeah but that questionable  later legend doesn’t disqualify or have any bearing on the initial story.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Yeah but that questionable  later legend doesn’t disqualify or have any bearing on the initial story.

Yes and no, Papa.

It has a bearing on the type of people in the community and opens up the possibility that it is a local spoof that many were involved in. 

Hmm.... annual hissing and aromas. 
Children getting sick after long(ish) exposure to said aromas. 
some sort of leaking natural gas?

16 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Wouldn't you think that someone - like a local science teacher, would capture some of this gas with the aroma, to see what it is?

So far, what I see is a lot of Urban Legend, but not sure about the original incident, of course.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
typo
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 5:53 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Sure, the area was know for the smell of brimstone,

I believe the kids saw a fireball meteor and the group that went to hunt had aliens on their mind,

Flatwoods wasn't a monster, it was a alien robot. Or, at least it has more in common with a robot then a flesh n blood monster.

flatwoods_monster_feature.thumb.jpg.139b38d92fbd1daa831f5273c3cb9ee3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2021 at 8:03 AM, DieChecker said:

Flatwoods wasn't a monster, it was a alien robot. Or, at least it has more in common with a robot then a flesh n blood monster.

flatwoods_monster_feature.thumb.jpg.139b38d92fbd1daa831f5273c3cb9ee3.jpg

Yeah, if i believed thats what they saw, im talking the orginal case not bandwagoneers who claimed to have seen it later.

If one goes back to the orginal reports from that group they didnt agree what it really looked like, some said it had arms some said no arms etc those are pretty big differences,

I believe the group saw the fireball go down got excited, infected the others they saw the flashing aircraft beacon smelled gases known to the area and i hate saying it startled a large angry owl, when it swooped at them hissing they had a natural reaction to panic

And im not sure they didnt know just what it was and ran with a hoax

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1