Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

iPhone still works after year spent in lake

UM-Bot

Heads up.....

No smartphone is waterproof, not even your iPhone. And no, your AirPods are not waterproof, either.

Waterproof implies that a device is completely indestructible by water. That would mean you could go snorkeling with your iPhone for hours and it would be just fine. As it stands, no smartphone is waterproof.  But some are water-resistant.

Which ones?.....full monty at https://www.makeuseof.com/what-iphones-are-waterproof/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Heads up.....

No smartphone is waterproof, not even your iPhone. And no, your AirPods are not waterproof, either.

Waterproof implies that a device is completely indestructible by water. That would mean you could go snorkeling with your iPhone for hours and it would be just fine. As it stands, no smartphone is waterproof.  But some are water-resistant.

Which ones?.....full monty at https://www.makeuseof.com/what-iphones-are-waterproof/

From the article:

... when his phone - which he had been keeping around his neck in a special waterproof bag

(...)

"I can only say that the waterproof case for the phone is really great!" he wrote. "There is no water in it! I'm so happy to have recovered my phone after having lost it for so long."

• Like 1

"I can only say that the waterproof case for the phone is really great!" he wrote. "There is no water in it!

I think the clue is in the "waterproof case". Otherwise it would just be a 'case'.

As Eldo says, the phones themselves aren't waterproof. They're classed as 'water resistant' which is another thing entirely.

I've dropped my Samsung's in the bath a couple of times but quickly retrieved them and they've dried out fine.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, toast said:

From the article:

I know.  I was merely giving a heads-up, not being critical.

• Like 3

My uncle dropped is phone in an icefishing hole. Another fisherman got it one week later on is fish hook, dryed it up and phone him at home with it, it was a flip phone, 15 years ago. Probably the cold oxygen deprived freshwater saved it from oxidation.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2

Thread title misleading. 

Should read ‘iPhone still works after year spent in waterproof bag’.

• Like 4

They used to be. Its really annoying how consumerism drives them the make frailer and frailer products. Remember razors? One time i got stuck in a snowbank on a mountain and lost one in the snow while digging my tires out. When I came back up the mountain a few weeks later to move more of my stuff i looked over and there laying on the freshly plowed and clear road was my phone. It worked perfect.

For comparison my son tossed my android in an empty bathtub one day. Somehow a lone remaining droplet in the tub managed to splash up inside and it never worked again.
Really annoyed the fact that people profit off mass producing fragile garbage in order to continually sell more garbage. This has got have be taking a huge environmental toll. Its not that hard to make all phones already come with decent covering lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was amazed after the first 5 words.

Guess there was no latest version being released that year.