Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prince Charles not wanted as King

Eldorado

Young Brits want Prince Harry to be the next monarch of the United Kingdom after the Queen, a new poll suggests.

A survey conducted between March 31 and April 1 by Deltapoll included 1,590 respondents representative of the adult British population.

This survey found that a higher proportion of younger British wanted Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, to succeed Queen Elizabeth over his father Charles, Prince of Wales, and older brother Prince William, Duke of Cambridge.

The respondents included three demographic groups: Members of Generation Z, aged between 18 to 24, millennials aged between 24 and 40, and baby boomers aged between 57 and 75.

Full monty at Monsters & Critics

UK Independent at MSN

Yahoo

(Overall numbers suggested that British people want William over Charles; 47% versus 27%)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Or . . . . . . when Liz pops her clogs, that would be the perfect time to abolish the monarchy altogether . . . . forever. :)

• Like 8

Line of succession

1. Charles, the Prince of Wales
2. Prince William, Duke of Cambridge
3. Prince George of Cambridge
4. Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
5. Prince Louis of Cambridge
6. Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex

Harry will go even further down the line when Prince William's children have kids of their own.

Royal Family Tree

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Line of succession

1. Charles, the Prince of Wales
2. Prince William, Duke of Cambridge
3. Prince George of Cambridge
4. Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
5. Prince Louis of Cambridge
6. Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex

Harry will go even further down the line when Prince William's children have kids of their own.

Royal Family Tree

How come Charlotte is in front if Louis while Edward is in front of Anne?

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

How come Charlotte is in front if Louis while Edward is in front of Anne?

The Succession to the Crown Act (2013) amended the provisions of the Bill of Rights and the Act of Settlement to end the system of male primogeniture, under which a younger son can displace an elder daughter in the line of succession. The Act applies to those born after 28 October 2011. The Act also ended the provisions by which those who marry Roman Catholics are disqualified from the line of succession. The changes came into force in all sixteen Realms in March 2015.

https://www.royal.uk/succession

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think if William does become the next King then he will scope down all of the grand royal traditions of the past and live a more humble lifestyle similar to European royalty and that Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace would become public museums and no longer places of royal residence.  We may look back at the Queen's reign and remember with fond memories the grandeur, pomp and ceremony of seeing the big Royal weddings on the Mall, and Trooping the Colour.  Hard to imagine that it will still be a tradition kept in the distant future.  I guess it depends on what future generations will want and if they regard us as old dinosaurs clinging to the past with nostalgia for the days we had a Royal Queen.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2021 at 8:04 AM, TigerBright19 said:

I think if William does become the next King then he will scope down all of the grand royal traditions of the past and live a more humble lifestyle similar to European royalty and that Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace would become public museums and no longer places of royal residence.  We may look back at the Queen's reign and remember with fond memories the grandeur, pomp and ceremony of seeing the big Royal weddings on the Mall, and Trooping the Colour.  Hard to imagine that it will still be a tradition kept in the distant future.  I guess it depends on what future generations will want and if they regard us as old dinosaurs clinging to the past with nostalgia for the days we had a Royal Queen.

You’re having a laugh, no one raised to expect the throne would ever give up a single benefit of that willingly (Even King Edward it is rumoured only abdicated because the very scary people who work for the Ministry of Intelligence suggested that he’d live longer that way. You couldn’t have an actual Nazi Supporter on the Throne). 
Trooping of the Colours is a massive tourist hit, and if “they attract tourists” is the only rationale people can come up with to justify their existence, the Trooping will obviously stay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You’re having a laugh, no one raised to expect the throne would ever give up a single benefit of that willingly (Even King Edward it is rumoured only abdicated because the very scary people who work work for the Ministry of Intelligence suggested that he’d live longer that way.

That... seems unlikely.

Not least because the UK has never had a 'Ministry of Intelligence'.

17 minutes ago, Setton said:

That... seems unlikely.

Or so they would have you believe.  No one had heard of the Kingsmen until the 2014 documentary about them.

• Haha 6

39 minutes ago, Setton said:

That... seems unlikely.

What does the I stand for in MI5 etc? I thought that was “Intelligence”.

ETA: it does stand for Intelligence, but the M stands for Military, not Ministry.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2021 at 11:04 PM, TigerBright19 said:

I think if William does become the next King then he will scope down all of the grand royal traditions of the past and live a more humble lifestyle similar to European royalty and that Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace would become public museums and no longer places of royal residence.

Looks like Charles is planning to do that.

Prince Charles wants royal palaces to go from 'private spaces to public places' when he is king - report | UK News | Sky News

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 1

"Young Brits want Prince Harry to be the next monarch of the United Kingdom"     To be honest, they'd probably be just as happy with Justin Beiber.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 4/7/2021 at 5:36 PM, Eldorado said:

Young Brits want Prince Harry to be the next monarch of the United Kingdom after the Queen, a new poll suggests.

A survey conducted between March 31 and April 1 by Deltapoll included 1,590 respondents representative of the adult British population.

This survey found that a higher proportion of younger British wanted Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, to succeed Queen Elizabeth over his father Charles, Prince of Wales, and older brother Prince William, Duke of Cambridge.

The respondents included three demographic groups: Members of Generation Z, aged between 18 to 24, millennials aged between 24 and 40, and baby boomers aged between 57 and 75.

Full monty at Monsters & Critics

UK Independent at MSN

Yahoo

(Overall numbers suggested that British people want William over Charles; 47% versus 27%)

Charles at various times has suffered from low popularity ratings.

But he is the legal heir to the throne and therefore it doesnt matter if people like or disapprove of him. On top of that he isn`t king yet and we might well discover when he is that he makes a decent monarch. 

• Like 1

Oo! that's a good idea! :tsu: Open up all the castles for the plebs to gawp at all the wealth in them . . . . . . . and pay for the privilege of doing so! The royals make even more money. :hmm:

(I do think the galleries etc should be open to the public, but entry should be free.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

"Young Brits want Prince Harry to be the next monarch of the United Kingdom"     To be honest, they'd probably be just as happy with Justin Beiber.

Since we get to choose the next monarch,i would like to throw my hat into the ring...so vote for me.:tu:

Although I've noticed they sometimes pick a relative,nepatism ? 

Maybe the game is rigged after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

But then we'll have to have Me-again Markle as Queen.....no thanks.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

But then we'll have to have Me-again Markle as Queen.....no thanks.

She won’t be Queen, as a divorcée (like Camilla) she’d be Royal Consort. Only Katherine qualifies as Queen. 

Would you consider an American former president looking for work as a head of state for the position?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Oo! that's a good idea! :tsu: Open up all the castles for the plebs to gawp at all the wealth in them . . . . . . . and pay for the privilege of doing so! The royals make even more money. :hmm:

The Royals don't get a penny from the tickets sold. Their money comes from the Sovereign Grant, given by Parliament.

Money from ticket sales goes towards the upkeep of those historic buildings, reducing the cost to the taxpayer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tatetopa said:Would you consider an American former president looking for work as a head of state for the position?

Couldn’t be worse than the shower of inbreds we’ve got now.

• Like 1

clearly the respondents are taking the michael out of the poll. they'd choose Henry over Charles and William. :w00t:

10 hours ago, Setton said:

The Royals don't get a penny from the tickets sold. Their money comes from the Sovereign Grant, given by Parliament.

Money from ticket sales goes towards the upkeep of those historic buildings, reducing the cost to the taxpayer.

You're not telling me that Charlie-boy won't be pushing his crappy Duchy shortbread in Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe! :lol:     

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

You're not telling me that Charlie-boy won't be pushing his crappy Duchy shortbread in Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe! :lol:     

Lovely that shortbread all organic. I'll have two packs. 

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2021 at 9:26 PM, ouija ouija said:

Or . . . . . . when Liz pops her clogs, that would be the perfect time to abolish the monarchy altogether . . . . forever. :)

What difference would it make, though?

They would make sure they kept the money and jewels, the palaces, the mansions, the land, the dynasty, and the influence.

(The land would include the Duchy of Cornwall, the Duchy of Lancaster, and the entire British coastline)

• Like 2