Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Pakistani PM links rape to how women dress

39 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

Outrage after Pakistan’s Imran Khan links rape to how women dress

Khan faces backlash for saying the increase in rapes indicated ‘consequences in any society where vulgarity is on the rise’.

al Jazeera

The prime minister said women in Pakistan should remove "temptation" because "not everyone has willpower".

He said women should observe purdah - a term referring to women wearing modest clothes around men or segregation between sexes.

BBC

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
15 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Outrage after Pakistan’s Imran Khan links rape to how women dress

Khan faces backlash for saying the increase in rapes indicated ‘consequences in any society where vulgarity is on the rise’.

al Jazeera

The prime minister said women in Pakistan should remove "temptation" because "not everyone has willpower".

He said women should observe purdah - a term referring to women wearing modest clothes around men or segregation between sexes.

BBC

How about men just learn to control themselves? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
1 minute ago, HSlim said:

How about men just learn to control themselves? 

And how about the Judiciary and the Police protecting all members of the public the way they're supposed to.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
Just now, Eldorado said:

And how about the Judiciary and the Police protecting all members of the public the way they're supposed to.

This is why it's dangerous to allow any government to be ruled on the basis of any religion. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword

Blaming the victim in cases of rape seems to be a common theme in Muslim countries.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Blaming the victim in cases of rape seems to be a common theme in Muslim countries.  

Hate to tell you, but it's fairly common in Christian countries too.  

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
2 minutes ago, HSlim said:

Hate to tell you, but it's fairly common in Christian countries too.  

Example?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
Posted (edited)

Examples of Rape Culture

  • Blaming the victim (“She asked for it!”)
  • Trivializing sexual assault (“Boys will be boys!”)
  • Sexually explicit jokes
  • Tolerance of sexual harassment
  • Inflating false rape report statistics
  • Publicly scrutinizing a victim’s dress, mental state, motives, and history
  • Gratuitous gendered violence in movies and television
  • Defining “manhood” as dominant and sexually aggressive
  • Defining “womanhood” as submissive and sexually passive
  • Pressure on men to “score”
  • Pressure on women to not appear “cold”
  • Assuming only promiscuous women get raped
  • Assuming that men don’t get raped or that only “weak” men get raped
  • Refusing to take rape accusations seriously

https://inside.southernct.edu/sexual-misconduct/facts

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Example?

Well, looks like ElDorado beat me to it.   

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado

Boys will be boys.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Example?

I'd recommend looking up Senator Todd Akin, Richard Mourdock, Tom Smith,  Roger Rivard, John Koster,  and Joe Walsh (not the Eagle).  That's only a small list of American politicians who have either suggested that the victim is somehow accountable or demand that the victim be made to follow through with a pregnancy that resulted from rape.  

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, HSlim said:

Well, looks like ElDorado beat me to it.   

 

 

9 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Boys will be boys.

And this is a christian school?

See, the reason why I feel it's okay to criticize this when it involves Muslim cultures is because their teachings have women as less than men.  In a system following sharia the word of a woman is worth half that of a man so if a woman comes forward with a claim of rape and the man says he didn't do it he is innocent.  If a married woman is raped she is also found guilty of adultery the punishment for which is stoning.  To suppose that these two cultures approach an official stance on this subject is anything like comparable is the height of dishonesty. 

Edited by OverSword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
3 minutes ago, HSlim said:

I'd recommend looking up Senator Todd Akin, Richard Mourdock, Tom Smith,  Roger Rivard, John Koster,  and Joe Walsh (not the Eagle).  That's only a small list of American politicians who have either suggested that the victim is somehow accountable or demand that the victim be made to follow through with a pregnancy that resulted from rape.  

And these individuals represent a culture?  No.  That's why I didn't mention anyone specifically but mentioned countries.  You'll find that in the country the people you mentioned belong to their views are regarded as abhorrent. The overall culture, which is what I clearly referred to, and the laws are counter to your claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
1 minute ago, OverSword said:

 

And this is a christian school?

See, the reason why I feel it's okay to criticize this when it involves Muslim cultures is because their teachings have women as less than men.  In a system following sharia the word of a woman is worth half that of a man so if a woman comes forward with a claim of rape and the man says he didn't do it he is innocent.  If a married woman is raped she is also found guilty of adultery the punishment for which is stoning.  To suppose that these two cultures approach and official stance on this subject is anything like comparable is the height of dishonesty. 

But again, we're back to why I say that absolutely no religion should ever have political power.  I'm fine with people believing in whatever god they believe in.  I'm not ok with them demanding that others comply with those beliefs. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
Just now, OverSword said:

 

And this is a christian school?

See, the reason why I feel it's okay to criticize this when it involves Muslim cultures is because their teachings have women as less than men.  In a system following sharia the word of a woman is worth half that of a man so if a woman comes forward with a claim of rape and the man says he didn't do it he is innocent.  If a married woman is raped she is also found guilty of adultery the punishment for which is stoning.  To suppose that these two cultures approach and official stance on this subject is anything like comparable is the height of dishonesty. 

It's not just one school.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56566442

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/03/uk/uk-schools-rape-culture/index.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats

I wonder if that prime miniser would be so quick to blame the women and their clothes if he did a bit of time in gen pop in his nice orange jumpsuit, oh well men just cant control themselves, shining example of people who think women are not equals to men.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
Just now, OverSword said:

And these individuals represent a culture?  No.  That's why I didn't mention anyone specifically but mentioned countries.  You'll find that in the country the people you mentioned belong to their views are regarded as abhorrent. The overall culture, which is what I clearly referred to, and the laws are counter to your claim.

That's not what the comment was about.  You mentioned Islamic countries, and I stated that it's common in Christian based countries, like the USA, as well.  Unfortunately, the people I mentioned hold/held seats of power in our government.  Every single one of them is/was a congress member or a treasurer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
Just now, OverSword said:

And what do you suppose the demographic at those schools leans toward?  

What exactly are you suggesting? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And what do you suppose the demographic at those schools leans toward?  

Pampered brat British boys.

But those brats can come from anywhere.

Rape culture is as American as apple pie

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/21/culture-american-apple-pie-week-in-patriarchy

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
1 minute ago, HSlim said:

That's not what the comment was about.  You mentioned Islamic countries, and I stated that it's common in Christian based countries, like the USA, as well.  Unfortunately, the people I mentioned hold/held seats of power in our government.  Every single one of them is/was a congress member or a treasurer.  

And I say it is absolutely not common or accepted.  The amount of rapists in prison proves my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
1 minute ago, HSlim said:

What exactly are you suggesting? 

Exactly what you think probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
Just now, OverSword said:

Exactly what you think probably.

I was actually trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.  Shame on me, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And I say it is absolutely not common or accepted.  The amount of rapists in prison proves my point.

The amount of rapists in positions of power says otherwise. The number of unreported rape cases says otherwise.  You've proven nothing.

Edited by HSlim
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
2 minutes ago, HSlim said:

I was actually trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.  Shame on me, right? 

Why?  Because that's not a recurring theme in England?  It sadly is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.