Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More than a third of Americans don't buy a home because of this

Grim Reaper 6

• More than a third (38%) of Americans have decided against buying a home because of a superstition. Men are more likely than women — 51% versus 27%, respectively — to skip out on a home purchase for superstitious reasons.
  • Nearly 4 in 10 (39%) homebuyers refuse to live next to a cemetery. Another 32% would skip out on buying a home with an unlucky street number, and 30% wouldn’t buy a house if the previous owners experienced a tragedy, such as death.
  • Almost half (47%) of homebuyers would ignore their budget for a “lucky” house. On average, survey respondents are willing to go at least $38,000 above their target home price.

More than a third of Americans don't buy a home because of this (msn.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Our old place i was in 46 years i do believe the windows husband died in the den,

This joint we moved to had a big story of being all haunted the realtor would jokingly say the seller thinks this the seller claims that, so i jokingly asked well then if it doesnt have 999 happy haunts can i sue, we all laugh i cut in being wry but i was being serious,

We are not next to a cemetery, damnit, but share the block only with a hugh church and across the street is a mortuary but they have yet to throw out anything cool,

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Our old place i was in 46 years i do believe the windows husband died in the den,

This joint we moved to had a big story of being all haunted the realtor would jokingly say the seller thinks this the seller claims that, so i jokingly asked well then if it doesnt have 999 happy haunts can i sue, we all laugh i cut in being wry but i was being serious,

We are not next to a cemetery, damnit, but share the block only with a hugh church and across the street is a mortuary but they have yet to throw out anything cool,

Yea Bats, but not everyone is like us. Superstition does rule many people lives in one or the other, in reality we are the minority who would love to live in a real haunted House!

Jus think you could invite Papageorge over and he could teach you how to use his Papameter, now wouldn't that be a greatr way to spend an evening!!!:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I think it would depend on the feel of the place for me. My father's great aunt Louise was a psychic, and  Aunt Louise,Grandma and my dad would have a particular dream when anyone in the family would die. He sometimes, around Halloween would tell  some family ghost stories brought over from Germany and Latvia(grandma's family were Baltic germans) My mother never told us any ghost stories from her side in Hungary, mainly because she, Uncle Irving and Aunt Margaret were orphaned when children..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yea Bats, but not everyone is like us. Superstition does rule many people lives in one or the other, in reality we are the minority who would love to live in a real haunted House!

Jus think you could invite Papageorge over and he could teach you how to use his Papameter, now wouldn't that be a greatr way to spend an evening!!!:D

An evening with papaG he could channel the dead kid erik and a ghost of a Peruvian alien mummy hoax we could drink corn beer and listen to Tennessee Ernie Ford records, that would be a hoot.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, HollyDolly said:

I think it would depend on the feel of the place for me. My father's great aunt Louise was a psychic, and  Aunt Louise,Grandma and my dad would have a particular dream when anyone in the family would die. He sometimes, around Halloween would tell  some family ghost stories brought over from Germany and Latvia(grandma's family were Baltic germans) My mother never told us any ghost stories from her side in Hungary, mainly because she, Uncle Irving and Aunt Margaret were orphaned when children..

Of course around halloween, do they trick or treat in Germany?

9 minutes ago, the13bats said:

An evening with papaG he could channel the dead kid erik and a ghost of a Peruvian alien mummy hoax we could drink corn beer and listen to Tennessee Ernie Ford records, that would be a hoot.

that sounds like a very interesting evening, especially the Corn Beer and Alein mummies really seem to fit together!!!!:w00t::D

Peacse my Brother

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I are in the market to buy a new home between now and Jan-Feb. And we've looked at so many of them. At least on Zillow.

But we're always seeing these super cool Victorian homes and they're sooo freaking big. I'm in love with the idea of lots of sq footage. But I always tell her, that one's haunted. Old wall paper: haunted. An old fireplace that's been boarded up: A ghost lives back there, haunted. A dark winding stairway: Haunted. Lots of stuff in those homes, haunted, haunted, haunted! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

that sounds like a very interesting evening, especially the Corn Beer and Alein mummies really seem to fit together!!!!:w00t::D

Peacse my Brother

Perhaps tina the llama will stop by.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Perhaps tina the llama will stop by.

Wait... corn beer and alien mummies... I just cannot keep up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Wait... corn beer and alien mummies... I just cannot keep up...

Corn beer and "Peruvian" alien mummies.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Corn beer and "Peruvian" alien mummies.

Yeah, I got the corn beer part. You mean Chicha.  I understand that it's made when the women chew the corn and spit it back out. And it results in gray frothy looking beverage. Yummy, cannot wait to try that. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ted hughes said:

Don't about three quarters of Americans believe in God? How Many Americans Believe in God? (gallup.com)

That is belief in the supernatural, is it not?

I'm not sure it is the same. I think there may be people who believe in God who don't believe in the supernatural. When I typed it I wondered. I don't believe in either God or supernatural so I cant judge.

4 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

I'm building my own home, so screw you ghost, I'll haunt myself.

That's something I've always wanted to do but never will. Will you be hands on a lot, or employing builders?

7 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Yeah, I got the corn beer part. You mean Chicha.  I understand that it's made when the women chew the corn and spit it back out. And it results in gray frothy looking beverage. Yummy, cannot wait to try that. 

Tiswin is what I learned to call it. .

You just course grind good flour corn. Throw it in water and add lots of sugar and let sit for a month while stirring it daily. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, the13bats said:

Corn Beer? Never had it, want to try it now! I'll bring the Papameter for a good time. Who knows where those probes will be found the next morning??

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

The only one there that would cause me thought is the cemetery. I do believe in spirits and paranormal forces and not for superstitious reasons but because of real evidence.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Xeno-Fish said:

I'm building my own home, so screw you ghost, I'll haunt myself.

Which you go a great job at.

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The only one there that would cause me thought is the cemetery. I do believe in spirits and paranormal forces and not for superstitious reasons but because of real evidence.

Post that real evidence...oh thats right, sorry.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Post that real evidence...oh thats right, sorry.

Take any case even here on UM involving cemeteries where my trusty meter ran warm!

Edited by papageorge1

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Take any case even here on UM involving cemeteries where my trusty meter ran warm!

PapaG your meter is make believe, ive slept in a cemetery a few times the only things i saw was raccoon, a possum or two and a grounds keeper making sure i wasnt a vandal.

• Thanks 1

Just now, the13bats said:

PapaG your meter is make believe, ive slept in a cemetery a few times the only things i saw was raccoon, a possum or two and a grounds keeper making sure i wasnt a vandal.

I suppose you think that settles and invalidates everyone else's experiences????

Wait? You've slept in a cemetery a few times??? OK, bats I think I can believe that.

• Thanks 1