Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A postcard written by the Titanic's wireless operator could sell for up to $15,000

Grim Reaper 6

A postcard written by a crew member of the RMS Titanic just weeks before it sank is up for auction and could fetch $15,000.  Jack Phillips, the vessel's senior wireless operator, wrote the postcard in March 1912 to his sister, Elsie, while at port in Belfast, Ireland, where the Titanic was built. Construction was completed at the end of March, and it left the dock on April 2, 1912. The correspondence, written on a 5.5 inch by 3.5 inch postcard, features an image of the Titanic during its construction and is postmarked in Belfast.

A postcard written by the Titanic's wireless operator could sell for up to $15,000 (msn.com)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Captain: We're in trouble.

Passenger: How far are we from land?

Captain: Two miles.

Passenger: Which direction?

Captain: Down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kinda curious as to how many artifacts from the wreck have been dredged up from the wreck site to be sold privately? A quick Google search says that it's an ongoing problem, but won't name names. The post card however, is a legit salable antique. The15 grand would be a good investment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

Captain: We're in trouble.

Passenger: How far are we from land?

Captain: Two miles.

Passenger: Which direction?

Captain: Down.

Consider that stolen. Morbid humor, is the best humor. Especially when you're a self avowed reincarnationists. Still laughing.:lol: Thanks. *Giggles*

Edited by Hankenhunter

13 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Kinda curious as to how many artifacts from the wreck have been dredged up from the wreck site to be sold privately? A quick Google search says that it's an ongoing problem, but won't name names. The post card however, is a legit salable antique. The15 grand would be a good investment.

Removing artifacts from that wreck is disgrace full the dam thing is a grave yard. Thinking about this I can certainly understand why indigenous people think that removing artifacts and such other items found that are tied to their past is also criminal and like grave robbing.:(

• Like 2

Idk, seems the post card would/should belong to the guys descendents, are they the ones selling it?

Every time metal detecting especially on the beach and we find a piece of jewerly zero way to find an owner and it always makes me a little sad.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Removing artifacts from that wreck is disgrace full the dam thing is a grave yard. Thinking about this I can certainly understand why indigenous people think that removing artifacts and such other items found that are tied to their past is also criminal and like grave robbing.:(

Was the postcard looted from the wreck? I doubt it, it would have rotted. I expect the wireless op just sent it before the voyage.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

Was the postcard looted from the wreck? I doubt it, it would have rotted. I expect the wireless op just sent it before the voyage.

No Sir, it was mailed before the ship sailed from Belfast Ireland, so yea your right.:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Idk, seems the post card would/should belong to the guys descendents, are they the ones selling it?

Every time metal detecting especially on the beach and we find a piece of jewerly zero way to find an owner and it always makes me a little sad.

I donate all my finds, cash included if I can't find the owner. Getting something for free, then selling it, cheapens it. Many other detectorists feel the same way. There is greed, and the need to "strike it rich" but the reality is far below. It's more the urge to find, and see that drives us. I had a hoot today pulling railroad spikes from an old rail bed converted to a horse trail. To many horses were getting hurt. There's a couple of Australian guys on you tube who post their phone numbers on lifeguard towers, and will find whatever they lost for them for free. Sand,  deeper water, or land.The money they make on the vids pays for the overhead from the huge number of calls they get. Including diving equipment. If someone insists to reward then, they donate it. Cool, and funny Aussies.

Btw, glad to hear you're one of us. More ethics like yours is needed. Kudos.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1