Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Starlink lights streak over N. Texas

Eldorado

“What was that?” That’s the question some people in North Texas have as they witnessed a strange streak of lights in the night sky Wednesday.

CBS 11 viewers in areas throughout North Texas such as Arlington, Frisco, Euless and Roanoke sent in video of the reported lights.

CBS Local

Have all these satellite launches ruined the ufo-spotting hobby?

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

Timothy
2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Of course not. Satellites in orbit can not and will not ruin blurry photo opportunities and anecdotes at low altitude! :alien:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hyperionxvii

Starlink, yes! Internet equality for all! I really do mean that. 

Eldorado
2 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Of course not. Satellites in orbit can not and will not ruin blurry photo opportunities and anecdotes at low altitude! :alien:

They're spoiling astronomy.

"Satellite mega-constellations risk ruining astronomy forever"  MIT

• Like 1

Hyperionxvii

If you not believe in astronomist privilege, you have to say 'GO STARLINK!' Internet rights for everyone, woot woot! 

Hyperionxvii
2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

“What was that?” That’s the question some people in North Texas have as they witnessed a strange streak of lights in the night sky Wednesday.

CBS 11 viewers in areas throughout North Texas such as Arlington, Frisco, Euless and Roanoke sent in video of the reported lights.

CBS Local

Just the other day, John Brennan spotted Elon Musk sitting right beside Bigfoot in one them UFOs. Both Musk and Bigfoot have now been added to the domestic terrorist list. 

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Thanks 1

ChrLzs
On 4/9/2021 at 9:53 AM, Eldorado said:

They're spoiling astronomy.

"Satellite mega-constellations risk ruining astronomy forever"  MIT

This may seem strange coming from me, but I think they are whiners...  OK, I don't do a huge amount of astrophotography, but I do some..  and there seems to be something glaringly obvious (forgive the pun) that is missing from most of these discussions.

From the article...

According to Donahue, an ideal goal would be to reduce the brightness of these satellites by a factor of 100.

Mmmhmm.  Yes.  Thing is the problem only exists for a fairly short time each night.

They just need to wait about an hour...  These sats are only lit up when the Sun shines on them, which is generally in the 1-2 hours after dusk. and before dawn.

So, are they mildly annoying? - yes, but really only for deep space astronomers chasing particular targets - it may become difficult or reduce their available dates/times for observations.

For everyone else, they just wait out that initial hour or so of visibility, and enjoy the little light show in the meantime. 

• Like 2

Nobu
On 4/8/2021 at 6:53 PM, Hyperionxvii said:

Starlink, yes! Internet equality for all! I really do mean that. 

Internet equality will topple governments... just wait for the revolutions. They will be televised.

Manwon Lender
On 4/9/2021 at 6:23 AM, Eldorado said:

CBS Local

Here is much better enlarged view.