Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA Observatory Tracking Rare Solar Event

CASTOR

"The planet Mercury will pass in front of the sun on Wednesday, May 7 in an unusual event called a transit. NASA's Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) spacecraft offers excellent, safe views of the rare occurrence to anyone with an Internet connection."

If you want to read all about it go here.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/...30505084808.htm

this will be very cool. try to watch it. i will be out there watching with bells on. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

CASTOR

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpaceyKC

• CASTOR

• albaqwerty

• j6p

Top Posters In This Topic

Great site CASTOR! Thanks for the alert, I love to see

images like this.

(btw, what does UT stand for?) huh.gif

SpaceyKC, im not sure where the UT is at. if you could explain that, i will, with my best effort, try to explain.

CASTOR

Oops, sorry CASTOR blush.gif

I went to the website you posted and it had another website (with NASA

that showed the trajectory of Mercury at certain times and these times had

the letters UT after them). I was wondering what time to check the

website on Wednesday. smile.gif

I clicked on to the real time page (the Nasa one) and media player showed the fascinating travel of Mercury across the face of the sun. Nice and safe too!!

Thanks for the link Castor, very interesting. Did you get to see it?

KC .... I have no idea about UT, EDT and so on... the only one I can translate is EST!

Many thanks Alba and LB ~ I did get to see it safely too.

I just get curious about abbreviations so casually placed, like

everyone will automatically know what they mean. huh.gif

I didnt get to see it! mad.gifsad.gif it was raining like goats and chickens. i was a bit upset. ohmy.gif oh well, i may get to see it next year. where did you guess see it on the net? i would like to go there and check it out. wub.gif please tell me. rolleyes.gifcool.gifwub.gif im cool, im hip, im with it. tucka, tucka, tucka, tucka...

ok, im done.

CASTOR

Cool site Coster smile.gif

Well since I am from Kuwait .. and I was supposed to it but i did not .. it was writen in the news paper that morning .. but tooo bad sad.gif ... I did not have sun galasses or any thing to protect my eyes to get to see it sad.gif ... oh well .. they say that it will come back a gain in about 8 years blink.gif .... so i hape that i will still be alive ... well I will be about 27 .. so i might get to see it .. wish me luck ... rolleyes.gif

Thanks again Coster tongue.gif

I hope you like this picture ... it is Mercury on 8th of May ... you can see this kind of stuff on this cool web site that I found...

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/

Please see it it is really good... rolleyes.gif

aww Castor, that's not fair!

I clicked on your link then followed the links thru to get to Soho Hotshots which showed the transit of Mercury.....

Castor I feel for you . We have had perfect atmospheric conditions for the Aurora Australis for 2 night's straight , but it's beencloudy and crappy and well I was disapointed . smile.gif