Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How worried should you be about coronavirus variants? A virologist explains his concerns

Grim Reaper 6

Paulo Verardi, Associate Professor of Virology and Vaccinology, University of Connecticut.  We humans are in a race to become immune against this cagey virus, whose ability to mutate and adapt seems to be a step ahead of our capacity to gain herd immunity. Because of the variants that are emerging, it could be a race to the wire. Currently there are five variants of concern circulating in the U.S.: the B.1.1.7, which originated in the U.K.; the B.1.351., of South African origin; the P.1., first seen in Brazil; and the B.1.427 and B.1.429, both originating in California. These mutations have resulted in several new SARS-CoV-2 variants, leading to outbreak clusters, and in some cases, global spread.

They are broadly classified as variants of interest, concern or high consequence. Each of these variants has a number of mutations, and some of these are key mutations in critical regions of the viral genome. Because the spike protein is required for the virus to attach to human cells, it carries a number of these key mutations. In addition, antibodies that neutralize the virus typically bind to the spike protein, thus making the spike sequence or protein a key component of COVID-19 vaccines.

How worried should you be about coronavirus variants? A virologist explains his concerns (msn.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sigh. I've had enough beer today. My dad passed away yesterday, sorry about that... I'm having my own version of a Wake. 

I should probably stop posting on the internet for another day or so.

• Sad 7

6 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Sigh. I've had enough beer today. My dad passed away yesterday, sorry about that... I'm having my own version of a Wake. 

I lost my dad 2014 miss him daily im sorry to hear of your loss , toss down another pull for me. And perhaps get some rest, if you can.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

I lost my dad 2014 miss him daily im sorry to hear of your loss , toss down another pull for me. And perhaps get some rest, if you can.

Thanks, bro. He would have been 92 in June. I really expected the guy to live to be 100. He was still driving his car only a couple of years ago. I mean not across the county or anything, but to the local market. I wasn't expecting it at all. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

My condolences on the death of your father, I am very very sorry to hear this. I wish you and your family the best in this difficult time.

Peace Bro

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Manwon Lender said:

My condolences on the death of your father, I am very very sorry to hear this. I wish you and your family the best in this difficult time.

Peace Bro

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Thanks, bro. He would have been 92 in June. I really expected the guy to live to be 100. He was still driving his car only a couple of years ago. I mean not across the county or anything, but to the local market. I wasn't expecting it at all. 

My dad made it to 89 that last year maybe 18 months was hard, he had a triple bypass and valve so i knew it was coming the step family wouldnt accept it, 

My dad gave up driving i guess by about 87 he had raced stuff in his life do he had one speed, floored, it was terrifying riding with him

i would call him daily talk for hours, seems like yesterday, take care of yourself best you can, its very hard.

• Like 1

So hey, i guess in the next day or two im getting my covid vax, now will the micro chip hurt much? And will i turn gay in stages or just go full limp wrist instantly?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

My friend you are certainly welcome, I have also been there ecept I was in the Middle East when it happened and i could not make it home before he was buried!!!:(

My dad had a stroke in his 70's , very distubing when i went to see him after and he couldn't recognize me. Like i said in the other thread , if the variants were a problem , why not stop travel again from those countries? Now it's probably too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, the13bats said:

So hey, i guess in the next day or two im getting my covid vax, now will the micro chip hurt much? And will i turn gay in stages or just go full limp wrist instantly?

Man I will not even go there!!!!!!!!:)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, the13bats said:

LOL. My wife gets her 2nd one on Sunday. I haven't taken mine and I apparently work with all these other science deniers, because I was in a meeting with 3 other people a couple of days ago and they all say they're waiting. 

One of my fav memes as of late is the one where there's 2 lab rats in their cages talking. And the ones says 'Have you had your Covid vaccine yet?'. And the other says 'No, they're still experimenting on the humans'. 

There might be some side effects. I only know 2 people who have taken it. Both, Moderna. One, my co-worker's wife who threw up for 2-3 days, and my wife who passed out or fainted 10 seconds after the injection. Neither of them have had any further side effects. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Man I will not even go there!!!!!!!!:)

Also, I hear it only turns the frogs gay. You're not French are you? 

• Haha 1

Tina my wife passes out from needles does your wife or was it vax related, now you are scaring that mental part of me, lol.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

My friend you are certainly welcome, I have also been there ecept I was in the Middle East when it happened and i could not make it home before he was buried!!!:(

Sorry, I'm feeling you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Best i can figure im limey mick injun, only enough injun for people like piney to laugh at me for even mentioning it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Best i can figure im limey mick injun, only enough injun for people like piney to laugh at me for even mentioning it.

I'm def half limey and half Welsh. But I still cannot figure out why I'm supposed to own a goat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, razman said:

My dad had a stroke in his 70's , very distubing when i went to see him after and he couldn't recognize me. Like i said in the other thread , if the variants were a problem , why not stop travel again from those countries? Now it's probably too late.

Also sorry to hear about your experience with the death of your father. In truth I know people will disagree, but do to the way things were handled since the beginning of this Pandemic by the previous administration, there is no way to stop what is happening from occurring. The only thing President Biden could do is to implement quarantine procedures for anyone entering the US unvaccinated for a minimum of 14 days, like other countries have been doing since April of 2020. I think this may actually occur, other countries have already started to require this if a person doesnt have proof of vaccination. Like the article says the mutations are the most serious threat we face now with COVID 19, because at the rate they are occurring they could bypass the complete protection of our current vaccines.

In addtion they are not going to stop until the World reaches Herd immunity and that means that 70% plus of the world population needs to be vaccinated and it is no where close to that. The longer this Virus go's unchecked as it is going now, the mutations will be created, and you never know if they will be much worst, or if they will not even have an effect. One thing to keep in mind with these mutations, some of them actually make the Virus less deadly and less infectious, so mutations all are not a bad thing. 

But the Question is, is it really to late. Well that all depends on the worlds and our leadership along with the choices they are making right now and nothing more.:yes:

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Ich bin Deutscher und komme aus einer Einwandererfamilie. Ich bin also der erste Amerikaner in meiner Familiengeschichte.:)

My mother and father were given immigration visas in the early 1950's, because of work my father did for the US Government in Germany. When my mom and dad arrived in the US he continued to work for the US Government. I was born in 1959, which made me the first American Citizen in my families history.:) 

• Like 1

Just now, Manwon Lender said:

Ich bin Deutscher und komme aus einer Einwandererfamilie. Ich bin also der erste Amerikaner in meiner Familiengeschichte.:)

My mother and father were given immigration visas in the early 1950's, because of work my father did for the US Government in Germany. When my mom and dad arrived in the US he continued to work for the US Government. I was born in 1959, which made me the first American Citizen in my families history.:) 

OMG. Another of those 59 babies, other than me? Where where your parents from? My daughter-in-law is currently living in Berlin. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hyperionxvii said:

OMG. Another of those 59 babies, other than me? Where where your parents from? My daughter-in-law is currently living in Berlin. 

My parents came from Flensburg, its kind of an infamous place because it was where the last Nazi Government was formed after Hitlers suicide and it is where Nazi Germany surrendered in in 1945. My dad was an Acedemic who worked in the German Special Weapons section of the German defense industry. He surrendered to the Americans, and was debriefed and asked to work for them, and the rest is history. Thats how I became the first American born Citizen in my families history.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Condolences... 

~

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Yeah I have had 2 friends die from the Coronavirus. But yeah its all fake and every person who disagrees with you is just a liar right?

I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolences to you. I lost my brother on Valentine's Day. Complications from the virus. I doubt the stint on the ventilator helped either. So sorry.:no::cry:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Giving you a big man hug. Make that two. Very sorry for your loss. I'm still grieving also. This sucks big time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

I'm def half limey and half Welsh. But I still cannot figure out why I'm supposed to own a goat. 

Must be a Terry Pratchett thing.