Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prince Philip has died, at age 99.

Tiggs

A sad day for our Nation.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sad news. Could be awkward for Harry right now.

• Like 6

Touching last moments as Queenie heckled him , " Hurry up you Drama Merchant  . Am feeling peckish . Don't you know " . And Philip suddenly sitting bolt upright and gasping , " For God , St George and England .See you soon Liz " . Shut his eyes and the train moved out of the station . 

"Not likely you  silly old fool " ,  muttered  Her Royal Self   as she swept out, up and away  .

• Confused 1

From one Yank across the pond (one who's like 80 millionth in line to the throne :)), my deepest condolences to the Queen, family, nation, and world. :(

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Oh no. My sympathies to the Queen and his family. And to the British people. 

• Like 3

Rest in peace, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

(born Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark)

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, acute said:

Rest in peace, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

(born Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark)

R.I.P. Philippos Andreou of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glücksburg, Prince of Greece and Denmark, aka Philip Mountbatten, Duke of Edinburgh.

My sympathies to his family and the British people. 

The glories of our blood and state
Are shadows, not substantial things;
There is no armour against Fate;
Death lays his icy hand on kings:
Sceptre and Crown
Must tumble down,
And in the dust be equal made
With the poor crookèd scythe and spade.

(Death the Leveller, James Shirley)

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 5

Just keep in mind that about 90% of the British people will not give a toss about this. He was a sour, unfeeling bloke who didn't appreciate the privileged position he occupied. A freeloader.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Sad news. Could be awkward for Harry right now.

Not just Harry, how do you conduct an independence campaign/ election when the Queens husband has just died.

There will be many in Scotland who will now be reminded of the union and the place within UK of the Scots. 

"Nicola Sturgeon has paid tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh following his death at the age of 99.

The First Minister said Prince Philip had "deep and longstanding ties to Scotland" and that a book of condolence will open to allow people to pay their respects."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/prince-philip-nicola-sturgeon-statement-23883926

IT will be interesting to see how many queue to pay their respects. I would imagine there will be quite a few. 

I would say this is the worst time for SNP to be trying to win votes. 

Timing of the funeral will be interesting.;) 

• Like 3

If he had lived for another year he would have got a telegram from the queen :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

If he had lived for another year he would have got a telegram from the queen :lol:

She would have given him it at the breakfast table and saved herself a few quid!

This has me wondering about Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.  Did the Queen send the Queen a telegram that day?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sad news, but he was almost 100.  Imagine the history he witnessed from the 1920's - 2020's.  A time capsule of British and European history.  Met him twice at work during two opening ceremonies.  Really nice guy who was never afraid to speak his mind.  RIP.

11 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

If he had lived for another year he would have got a telegram from the queen

I wonder if she uses postage stamps or does she take a selfie and stick it on the envelope.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The First Minister said Prince Philip had "deep and longstanding ties to Scotland" and that a book of condolence will open to allow people to pay their respects."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/prince-philip-nicola-sturgeon-statement-23883926

IT will be interesting to see how many queue to pay their respects. I would imagine there will be quite a few. 

It's an online book of condolences.

Prince Philip will NOT have state funeral as flags to be flown at half-mast across UK

Prince Philip will not have a state funeral, instead he will lie in state at Windsor Castle.

It has been announced the Duke of Edinburgh will lie at rest in the Queen's residence ahead of his funeral in St George's Chapel.

It has not been announced when the funeral will take place.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/prince-philip-not-state-funeral-23884951

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Just keep in mind that about 90% of the British people will not give a toss about this. He was a sour, unfeeling bloke who didn't appreciate the privileged position he occupied. A freeloader.

I suggest you know nothing about the Duke of Edinburgh if you think this.  He did so much more than the average person realises.  He just got on with it and never blew his own trumpet.  Do a bit of reading up on him.  Will show he was far from a freeloader.  Technically he was more royal than the queen being descended from European royalty on both of his parents sides, the queen just on her fathers (whether you approve of royalty/monarchy or not, it is a fact), so he was born into ‘privilege’ as you call it, and had to stand back when his wife became Queen, to spend his life supporting her for almost 70 years since she became the monarch, always taking second place.  For that alone he invites respect.

Shame on you for such miserly, small minded comments, about a man you have likely never met, at the news of his death.  Whatever, he was a husband, father, grandfather, great grandfather, uncle etc.  You know nothing about what he meant to his family or the country as a whole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Folks, leave commentary at respects please. If you can't be respectful, then don't post it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Prince Philip was my favourite Royal - RIP

Funny, controversial, puts his foot in it, but well liked and respected by most people in the country.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ted hughes said:

When they met, Phillip was an 18 year old naval cadet, and Liz was a smitten 13 year old. We don't talk about this anymore....

They had met in 1934 at his cousin's wedding.

Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark was marrying Prince George, the Duke of Kent — Elizabeth's uncle.

Elizabeth was eight years old. At 13, Philip was already a teenager.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-09/prince-philip-the-duke-of-edinburgh-dies-obituary/11866000

• Like 2

If the topic is just for sycophants, shouldn't that be made clear in the OP? I thought the aim of UM was to give a voice to all opinions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

If the topic is just for sycophants, shouldn't that be made clear in the OP? I thought the aim of UM was to give a voice to all opinions. 

Dude, how out of taste would it be you turning up at a funeral to bad mouth the dead person?

You might not have liked him but please show some respect. Save the negativity for another time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I would not have posted if I had known this was a book of condolences. I thought it was a discussion thread. I agree with ouija ouija, this should be made clear in the title.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Cookie Monster said:

Dude, how out of taste would it be you turning up at a funeral to bad mouth the dead person?

You might not have liked him but please show some respect. Save the negativity for another time.

Grow up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1