Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
rashore

10 Mysteries of Ancient Civilizations

Recommended Posts

rashore
Quote

Archaeology has uncovered many secrets from the ancient world. But the Earth has a bad habit of eroding the past, making it difficult to piece together the stories of our ancestors. In the last couple of centuries, we've discovered Roman artifacts in the Americas, found ancient Greek cities in what was once thought to be the backwater of Ancient Greece, puzzled over the success of the Incan economy, and have long searched for the core of history's first true empire. 

These mysteries prove that humanity needs to keep digging to uncover the truth, lest we repeat our past mistakes. 

Here are 10 mysteries of ancient civilizations. 

https://www.toptenz.net/10-mysteries-of-ancient-civilizations.php

 

  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
jaylemurph
Posted (edited)

Whew. That entry on Sumerian is /rough/. More errors than sentences -- and it can't even keep straight whether Akkadian is pre- or post-Sumerian. (It's post.)

Man, Rashore, when it comes to starting new threads, quantity is /not/ better than quality. Maybe put starting new ones here on a hiatus til you can verify at least 50% of the information passed along in them isn't bulldroppings.

--Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Whew. That entry on Sumerian is /rough/. More errors than sentences -- and it can't even keep straight whether Akkadian is pre- or post-Sumerian. (It's post.)

Man, Rashore, when it comes to starting new threads, quantity is /not/ better than quality. Maybe put starting new ones here on a hiatus til you can verify at least 50% of the information passed along in them isn't bulldroppings.

--Jaylemurph

Yes I totally agree with you, have a mostly functional photographic memory, that portion and others are very inaccurate and confusing. I have studied the Sumerian culture and  the written texts associated with it and when you consider that the Sumerians invented Cuneiform and that it is the earliest written form of language known so far the article is confusing and in my opinion kind of worthless. 

So actually there is nothing mysterious about it, in fact the only thing mysterious is where the authors got their information from!:yes:

Peace 

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harte
10 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yes I totally agree with you, have a mostly functional photographic memory, that portion and others are very inaccurate and confusing. I have studied the Sumerian culture and  the written texts associated with it and when you consider that the Sumerians invented Cuneiform and that it is the earliest written form of language known so far the article is confusing and in my opinion kind of worthless. 

So actually there is nothing mysterious about it, in fact the only thing mysterious is where the authors got their information from!:yes:

Peace 

At least the authors don't mention the Anunnaki.

Harte

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hanslune
3 hours ago, Harte said:

At least the authors don't mention the Anunnaki.

Harte

Hey, that word is only used in SERIOUS articles.....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Abramelin

From the OP:

"Roman artifacts in the Americas".

What Roman artifacts?

Some Roman artifacts found by a European archeologist, and brought to the Americas, and lost at sea?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps

The page from link in the OP got covered over by a "please subscribe to us" trap. :hmm:

oh well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore
19 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

The page from link in the OP got covered over by a "please subscribe to us" trap. :hmm:

oh well

That's unfortunate. Here's the list for you. 

10. The Romans may have discovered the New World

9. Ancient Roman mystery cults

8. The lost city of Paititi

7. The economy of the Incas

6. The lost city of Tenea

5. The mystery of Teotihuacan

4. The mystery of the origin of the Sumerian Language

3. The fall of the Akkadian Empire

2. The lost ruins of Vlochos

1. The city of Akkad

Sounds like so far from responses that numbers 10 and 4 are either debunked, or not a mystery really worth discussing.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenemet

#1 is wrong and #7 is also wrong.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore
27 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

#1 is wrong and #7 is also wrong.  

 

How are they wrong? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nobu
On 4/9/2021 at 12:42 PM, rashore said:

I like the Rockwall Texas “wall”.

I get that geologists believe it’s natural, but I find it crazy that the name of rockwall came from the Indians in the region. I also find it strange that we do not see more of this natural phenomena in other areas.

I just like it. Good story from old americana.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
rashore
7 hours ago, Nobu said:

I like the Rockwall Texas “wall”.

I get that geologists believe it’s natural, but I find it crazy that the name of rockwall came from the Indians in the region. I also find it strange that we do not see more of this natural phenomena in other areas.

I just like it. Good story from old americana.

 

Had to go look that up... you mean this? https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/07/17/the-rock-wall-of-rockwall-texas/

It looks interesting, but I for sure would need to learn more before forming an opinion about it. Thanks for adding it into the topic :tu:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenemet
12 hours ago, Nobu said:

I like the Rockwall Texas “wall”.

I get that geologists believe it’s natural, but I find it crazy that the name of rockwall came from the Indians in the region. I also find it strange that we do not see more of this natural phenomena in other areas.

I just like it. Good story from old americana.

 

I live thereabouts.  Native Americans didn't call the place "rock wall" (the tribes in the area didn't make walls, y'know.)  

There are many other similar formations around the world, often with their own local legends.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenemet
22 hours ago, rashore said:

How are they wrong? 

The economy of the Incas (there's literally hundreds of papers on this) http://www.discover-peru.org/inca-economy-society/ -- however, #1 does turn out to be "unknown"... so I was wrong about its location being known (beyond a rather general location)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore
11 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

The economy of the Incas (there's literally hundreds of papers on this) http://www.discover-peru.org/inca-economy-society/ -- however, #1 does turn out to be "unknown"... so I was wrong about its location being known (beyond a rather general location)

Thanks for the site... It's one I've used before, when I was starting to brush up some SA cooking skills and doing Peru. Gosh I love Peruvian cooking, still on a quest to find good aji amarillo seed so I can grow my own and quit buying paste. No other pepper subs right for sauces and cau-cau stew. That was a while back, and didn't even think about it till you provided the link above. Good to remind me of it, it can primer me up on some of the Inca stuff. 

And #1 might still be interesting for future conversations. 

Ok, #10, 7, 4 and 1 done. Leaves #9 ,8 ,6 ,5 ,3 , and 2. I do know a bit about #9, that falls a lot more into the myths and legends and sometimes religion sort of lore wheelhouse I'm more familiar with, so I'd post a topic about that sort of thing in those sections and not here. #5 I'm pretty sure is really a mystery, and one that comes up sometimes in this section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore

A few days later and I I want to tackle more mysteries here. Been noting and starting to train my search algorithms better. 

Thanks so far with explaining the list, it will help me post better in the future :tu:

Whats left is..

8. The lost city of Paititi: Inca city of gold, the lost world. Is this related to El Dorado in some way? A case of translocating folklore?

6. The lost city of Tenea.

2. The lost ruins of Vlochos

3. The fall of the Akkadian Empire and 1. The city of Akkad

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hanslune

8. Legend and wishful thinking. However, Such a city built by the Inca or someone else and may have existed and is probably not been found because of the local (jungle) and being built of wood instead of stone

6. Tenea doesn't appear to be lost

2. Yep a town is there but the name remains uncertain (AFAIR)

3. This is more a historical question and guess work over why Akkad had fallen. The city itself remains unlocated which is not unusual given the number of un dug and badly dug sites in that region (thousands).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore

OK! So at the end of the list, seems like only Teotihuacan and Akkad are really mysterious. Origin of Sumarian language and real name of Vlochos are kind of mysterious. The rest aren't all that mysterious, some pretty mundane explanations for most of it. 

I might try to tinker around and see if this whole golden city stuff is translocating lore or not, but that's not for this section of UM, like the Roman cults thing isn't really for this section either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.