Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We know where the 7 wonders of the ancient world are—except for one

rashore

Around 225 B.C. a Greek engineer, Philo, produced a list of seven temata—“things to be seen”—that are better known today as the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World: the Pyramids at Giza; the Statue of Zeus at Olympia; the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus; the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus; the Colossus of Rhodes; the Pharos of Alexandria; and, most mysterious of all, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

Many revisions of Philo’s list followed, and other sites were added and removed according to the tastes of the times. But the Philo seven have become canonical, a snapshot of the monuments whose size and engineering prowess awed the classical mind. Only the Pyramids at Giza(built in the mid-third millennium B.C.) remains intact today. Although five of the others have disappeared, or are in ruins, enough documentary and archaeological evidence is available to confirm that they once stood proud, and are not the product of hearsay or legend.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/history-and-civilisation/2020/07/we-know-where-the-7-wonders-of-the-ancient-world-are-except-for

• Like 6

If only there was some subtle hint as to where the Hanging Gardens of /Babylon/ might have been. 

But no. That knowledge is lost forever, yet another victim of clickbait. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

If only there was some subtle hint as to where the Hanging Gardens of /Babylon/ might have been. 

But no. That knowledge is lost forever, yet another victim of clickbait. 

—Jaylemurph 

I'm pretty sure it was NOT in Gobekli Tepe.

• Haha 4

I'm gonna go with a s SWAG:  Babylon...or maybe Ninevah

The_street_map_of_ancient_Babylon.jpg

xz31gve1cx1z.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&au

The hanging gardens of "Babylon" is somewhat misleading.   Hanging gardens refers to Stonehenge (the hanging stones) which were originally built to grow hops on.   

Obviously the Egyptians, having gotten drunk on good ol' British ale, and maybe over-enamoured by our lusty serving girls, got a little confused .....  But the Hanging hop Gardens where the Babes are found is still to be seen today :tu:

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Nineveh. I didn't think it was that off the wall since it was a National Geographic article. I thought it was an interesting notion I'm not familiar with, and thought maybe some other folks didn't know about as well... and as well, some knowledgable folks on the topic that can add on and discuss it and teach about it. 

Is Nineveh a viable lead or no? Why? 

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

Nineveh. I didn't think it was that off the wall since it was a National Geographic article. I thought it was an interesting notion I'm not familiar with, and thought maybe some other folks didn't know about as well... and as well, some knowledgable folks on the topic that can add on and discuss it and teach about it. 

Is Nineveh a viable lead or no? Why? 

It is thought the Hanging garden may have been there  despite the name

Abstract

The Babylonians and Assyrians planted gardens in cities, palace courtyards, and temples, in which trees with fragrance and edible fruits were prominent for re-creating their concept of Paradise. The famous Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the Seven Wonders of late antiquity, have finally been identified as the palace garden of the Assyrian king Sennacherib, constructed not at Babylon but at Nineveh, which was also known as 'old Babylon', around 700 B.C. Sennacherib invented the Archimedean screw, using cast copper or bronze, for watering the gardens. A sculpture now in the British Museum shows a part of the gardens in the reign of Sennacherib's grandson, when the trees had matured.

At this JSTOR site: I read it 25-30 years ago so pardon my lack of details.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1587050?seq=1

Garden History
Vol. 21, No. 1 (Summer, 1993), pp. 1-13 (13 pages)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Matthew Reilly in his Jack West books says it’s underground. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanslune said:

So this cites the Bible as an historical source (twice)?

—Jaylemurph

18 hours ago, rashore said:

It looks to me, from maps showing the rough borders of the Assyrian Empire, and the latter Babylonian Empire, that both cover much the same territory. Thus if the Gardens were in Nineveh, they would have been "of Babylon", since they were within the Empire.

I could also imagine a traveler going to Nineveh during the time of the Babylonian Empire, and asking where they were, and being told "Babylon". With the intent of meaning the nation, not the city.

A misunderstand that perhaps got picked up and made permenant.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rashore said:

The Mystery of the Hanging Garden of Babylon: An Elusive World Wonder Traced

...Dalley asserts that the reason why no traces of the Hanging Gardens have ever been found in Babylon is because they were never built there in the first place. Dalley, who has spent the better part of two decades researching the Hanging Gardens and studying ancient cuneiform texts, believes they were constructed 300 miles to the north of Babylon in Nineveh, the capital of the rival Assyrian empire. She asserts the Assyrian king Sennacherib, not Nebuchadnezzar II, built the marvel in the early seventh century B.C., a century earlier than scholars had previously thought.

Hanging Gardens Existed, but not in Babylon

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

It looks to me, from maps showing the rough borders of the Assyrian Empire, and the latter Babylonian Empire, that both cover much the same territory. Thus if the Gardens were in Nineveh, they would have been "of Babylon", since they were within the Empire.

I could also imagine a traveler going to Nineveh during the time of the Babylonian Empire, and asking where they were, and being told "Babylon". With the intent of meaning the nation, not the city.

A misunderstand that perhaps got picked up and made permenant.

Yes, I failed to mention that it is possible 'Babylon' meant the larger political entity and not the specific city.

• Like 5

No, the sideburns.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

The Nineveh theory seems to have a lot going for it. It's a shame that we likely won't ever get definitive proof one way or another considering the damage done to the site.

The Hanging Gardens: gardens where people were hanged.

But that's because of its name in English.

What was the original name?

Maybe that could give us a clue.

On 6/2/2021 at 12:57 PM, Abramelin said:

The Hanging Gardens: gardens where people were hanged.

But that's because of its name in English.

What was the original name?

Maybe that could give us a clue.

Yes, that article that @rashore posted did say there is some disagreement to the meaning of the word "hanging".
It could be used like "the killing fields of Cambodia" - which were fields where people were killed/left stacked up.
Or it could mean that the Gardens were suspended in air, and hence, the Gardens themselves were considered "hanging"

I opt for the latter. 

• Haha 1