Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teargas Fired at Anti-Bush Protest

fearfulone

Belgian Police Fire Teargas at Anti-Bush Protesters

59 minutes ago Politics - Reuters

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Belgian police fired teargas at hundreds of demonstrators protesting the visit of President Bush (news - web sites) to European Union (news - web sites) headquarters on Tuesday.

Teargas rounds were fired from a police truck after a petrol bomb landed among police in riot gear, a Reuters witness said.

A female police officer was injured and skirmishes broke out between the leftist protesters and police, who used trucks to push back the crowd from near the EU Council building where Bush was meeting EU leaders.

The demonstration had begun peacefully but turned violent when firecrackers and flares were thrown at the police. The street was left littered with broken glass.

Two previous protests against Bush's visit Sunday and Monday passed off peacefully with relatively small crowds.

Source

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• bathory

• Celumnaz

• Walken

It seems like Bush is not going to make it back from Europe... unsure.gif

Edited by Athenian

For god's sakes, its their country and the foreigner is the one who's treated like he owns the place.

so you mean that the police weren't justified in using teargas to disperse a violent crowd?

Two previous protests against Bush's visit Sunday and Monday passed off peacefully with relatively small crowds.

^ how to demonstrate

Teargas rounds were fired from a police truck after a petrol bomb landed among police in riot gear, a Reuters witness said.

^ not how to demonstrate

I agree with bathory.

Bush is traveling Europe, and being welcomed by the leaders of Europe, for a variety of issues, all of which are an attempt to improve relations across the Atlantic.

These kinds of demonstrations causes the rest of the world to look down on the demonstrators.

There is nothing wrong with peacful demonstration, its gets the point across and people will listen, when it becomes violent, people wont pay attention and will disregard all demonstartors for this behaviour.

The use of teargas was justified and the demonstrators who became violent should be ashaned of themselves because they have now made all the demonstrators look bad.

These kinds of demonstrations causes the rest of the world to look down on the demonstrators.

No, just cause America and Austrailia (the two countries who didn't sign up to Kyoto) do doesn't mean everyone else does. In Europe many will support these individuals standing up for there democratic right of speech even if while Bush is around it seems to be banned. Just because one or two demonstrations turn violent does not mean all anti-Bush demonstrators should be condemed.

Edit: Actually just ignore that Homer, I notice you used the 'these kinds' to already differenciate anti-Bush protests and violent ones.

Edited by Talon S.

I think it was warranted. They were throwing petrol bombs and all.

Correction. A few people at one or two demos were. Anyway, it wouldn't have happened if Bush didn't bring it on himself.

. A few people at one or two demos were.

and thats why the police dispersed the group with nonlethal means

Anyway, it wouldn't have happened if Bush didn't bring it on himself.

he brought it upon himself? and the logical outcome is protestors throwing a petrol bomb at police? bahaha

There is absolutely no justification for what the way in which the behaved.

No, just cause America and Austrailia (the two countries who didn't sign up to Kyoto) do doesn't mean everyone else does.

so you mean the rest of the world loves violent protest? did you even read what homer wrote?

In Europe many will support these individuals standing up for there democratic right of speech even if while Bush is around it seems to be banned.

wow you just love to make sh** up, subject is about teargas being fired at ONE anti-bush protest which turned violent, the article even mentions that they had several peaceful protests the days before.

Just because one or two demonstrations turn violent does not mean all anti-Bush demonstrators should be condemed.

noones condemning the anti-bush demonstrators as a whole, we are condemning the retards who were throwing objects (including a petrol bomb) at police. Reading every single post it everyone is incredibly supportive of peaceful protesting, i don't know where you are pulling this notion that someone is saying that all the demonstrators were bad.

Edited by bathory

he brought it upon himself? and the logical outcome is protestors throwing a petrol bomb at police? bahaha

There is absolutely no justification for what the way in which the behaved.

And the fact that he's he leader of the country right now polluting the world more than any other has no meaning?

And the fact that he's he leader of the country right now polluting the world more than any other has no meaning?

I still fail to see how this justifies a group of protestors lobbing a petrol bomb at their own police.

There is no justification for this kind of action at all and no amount of twisting it will work,just accept it ,that is the wrong way to get your point accross

I still fail to see how this justifies a group of protestors lobbing a petrol bomb at their own police.

Oh, I'm not justifying attacking the police, they probably hate Bush too, get doing a job. I'm just saying that there are reasons why people are this angry, and instead of complaining about protestors, move thought should be given as to why the US President is hated this much.

There is no justification for this kind of action at all and no amount of twisting it will work,just accept it ,that is the wrong way to get your point accross

You ignore that in history civil disobedence has always been used by good to get its message across. Both Civil Rights movements and the Sufferogettes used violence on occassion.

You ignore that in history civil disobedence has always been used by good to get its message across. Both Civil Rights movements and the Sufferogettes used violence on occassion.

498369[/snapback]

This thread was not about getting stuck into bush ,it is about how stupid or not the protesters were or were not

Civil disobediance ,ie breaking the law,

I remember people ,and they know who they are wanting to dismember ,kill,torture because some one broke the law on another thread

Would they want to do the same to these protesters ...they have what ever way you look at it ,broke the law

Anyway, it wouldn't have happened if Bush didn't bring it on himself.

I'm just saying that there are reasons why people are this angry, and instead of complaining about protestors, move thought should be given as to why the US President is hated this much.

sounds bleeding heartish imo. I agree with everyone else... there are ways to protest and ways not to protest. Everyone has a choice, a couple idiots made a choice to do something idiotic, I don't care why they did it. I don't feel the need to understand the murderer, the hijacker, the tyrant... they make their own choices to do those things. There are only two things you can control, the way you interpret, and what you do.

Well thankfully all those people fighting or female and black equality didn't agree with you.

Well thankfully all those people fighting or female and black equality didn't agree with you.

oh really? care to name any important acts of violence that demonstrators enacted that helped them?

Not particularly, although protests Vietnam was ended by protests, some violent. And the Boston tea party was Civil Disobedience. A lot of Eastern-bloc regimes collapsed under civil disobedience. The Soviet Union fell apart through Civil Disobedience when the troops refused to fire on the rioters. In Ukraine only a month ago the protesters forced a recount.

Obviously there are cases were it fails, like in China where at the T Square where many of the protesters were all killed. The Hungarian uprising of 1956 against the Stalinists by the pro-Democratic Communists was crushed.

If you look up a history book, you'll find them easily enough.

does that make terrorists common protestors? I just can't picture Ghandi throwing a gas bomb. Revolutionary, Protestor, Terrorist, Insurgent, Freedom-Fighter, Rebel, Mercenary, Hero, Villian, weeee gas bomb, Anarchist, Militant... I prefer destructive inconsiderate rebellious idiotic sheep in these guys' case.

I lived in Brussels for a few months too, these individuals are loons and jerks.

Yes, yes, yes, whatever. The Soviet secret police probably said the same think about the protestors against their regime. Luckily, they didn't listen to you and just accept they living in a dictatorship. And luckily the suffrogettes didn't listen to you either, and say 'to the hell with the vote, we'll just accept being second-class citizens'. And so on, so forth.

True, but it always did more damage than it helped.

The sufferagetes would've got there message across regardless of whether they threw bricks through the windows of people uninvolved or not.

Not really, civil disobedence gets noticed. Writting to a local MP or whatever doesn't.

Yes, yes, yes, whatever. The Soviet secret police probably said the same think about the protestors against their regime. Luckily, they didn't listen to you and just accept they living in a dictatorship. And luckily the suffrogettes didn't listen to you either, and say 'to the hell with the vote, we'll just accept being second-class citizens'. And so on, so forth.

wow, I didn't realize people in Belgium were so oppressed these days.