Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Manwon Lender

Why humans have sharp front teeth ( Canines)

Manwon Lender

We share our sharp canine teeth with lions, hippos, and other mammals. But believe it or not, they have nothing to do with tearing into meat. Instead, our ancestors originally used them to fight for mating rights, and they shrunk over time as we stopped using our teeth as weapons.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/animals/why-humans-have-sharp-front-teeth/vi-BB1fkrJg

• Thanks 1

Hankenhunter
2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

We share our sharp canine teeth with lions, hippos, and other mammals. But believe it or not, they have nothing to do with tearing into meat. Instead, our ancestors originally used them to fight for mating rights, and they shrunk over time as we stopped using our teeth as weapons.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/animals/why-humans-have-sharp-front-teeth/vi-BB1fkrJg

Makes sense.As the population increased there would have been much more females available. Thus easing the need to compete to procreate. Scary teeth not needed anymore. Also, there was probably a lot of stealing of women from others groups necessitating the need for sharp canines. Again, with population increases, the need to steal women was negated, and the eye teeth continued growing smaller. Perfectly cromulent explanation.:tu: Learned something new today.

I must be a throw back, cause my canines were overly big. Were. I got old.  But, I never bit anyone over my wife, so there's that.:D

• Like 1