Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

South African variant can 'break through' Pfizer vaccine, Israeli study says

Grim Reaper 6

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - The coronavirus variant discovered in South Africa can "break through" Pfizer/BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine to some extent, a real-world data study in Israel found, though its prevalence in the country is low and the research has not been peer reviewed. 

But among patients who had received two doses of the vaccine, the variant's prevalence rate was eight times higher than those unvaccinated - 5.4% versus 0.7%. 

This suggests the vaccine is less effective against the South African variant, compared with the original coronavirus and a variant first identified in Britain that has come to comprise nearly all COVID-19 cases in Israel, the researchers said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/south-african-variant-can-break-through-pfizer-vaccine-israeli-study-says/ar-BB1fw6QG

• Like 1

There have also been studies recently showing that they are effective against the variants, including the South African one. 

so it's up still up in the air 

• Like 1

Watch out for the Bavarian Nordic vaccine, developed in Denmark, and coming by the end of the year (if approved). It's a game changer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

There have also been studies recently showing that they are effective against the variants, including the South African one. 

so it's up still up in the air 

I don't disagree with you at all, but what concerns me is that according to Israel this mutation is not common like many other countries. So they have been unable to test large numbers of People, even with that said the percentage of those infected after vaccination is still high. But, it's is important to know those who did become infected had mild cases of the Virus, however when tested they still tested positive for the Virus.

Thanks for posting my friend

But among patients who had received two doses of the vaccine, the variant's prevalence rate was eight times higher than those unvaccinated - 5.4 per cent versus 0.7 per cent. This suggests the vaccine is less effective against the South African variant, compared with the original coronavirus and a variant first identified in Britain that has come to comprise nearly all COVID-19 cases in Israel, the researchers said. 

The study, released on Saturday (Apr 10), compared almost 400 people who had tested positive for COVID-19, 14 days or more after they received one or two doses of the vaccine, against the same number of unvaccinated patients with the disease. It matched age and gender, among other characteristics.

58 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I don't disagree with you at all, but what concerns me is that according to Israel this mutation is not common like many other countries. So they have been unable to test large numbers of People, even with that said the percentage of those infected after vaccination is still high. But, it's is important to know those who did become infected had mild cases of the Virus, however when tested they still tested positive for the Virus.

Thanks for posting my friend

But among patients who had received two doses of the vaccine, the variant's prevalence rate was eight times higher than those unvaccinated - 5.4 per cent versus 0.7 per cent. This suggests the vaccine is less effective against the South African variant, compared with the original coronavirus and a variant first identified in Britain that has come to comprise nearly all COVID-19 cases in Israel, the researchers said. 

The study, released on Saturday (Apr 10), compared almost 400 people who had tested positive for COVID-19, 14 days or more after they received one or two doses of the vaccine, against the same number of unvaccinated patients with the disease. It matched age and gender, among other characteristics.

I'm not too worried. 

In my other thread the study tested vaccinated people's T cells against variants in the lab, like the South African one, and they were effective.

And Pfiizers internal data from South Africa and so far shown effectiveness. 

"In South Africa, where the B.1.351 lineage is prevalent and 800 participants were enrolled, nine cases of COVID-19 were observed, all in the placebo group, indicating vaccine efficacy of 100%," the company said.

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/01/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-efficacy-six-months-bn/index.html?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16172829360829&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From %1%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2021%2F04%2F01%2Fhealth%2Fpfizer-covid-vaccine-efficacy-six-months-bn%2Findex.html

Edited by spartan max2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm not too worried. 

In my other thread the study tested vaccinated people's T cells against variants in the lab, like the South African one, and they were effective.

And Pfiizers internal data from South Africa and so far shown effectiveness. 

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/01/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-efficacy-six-months-bn/index.html?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16172829360829&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From %1%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2021%2F04%2F01%2Fhealth%2Fpfizer-covid-vaccine-efficacy-six-months-bn%2Findex.html

I am not worried either, I am getting the Johnson & Johnson Pill. But, I also must say that Israel is a responsible country, and for them to make a claim like that there could be something to it.

Peace

46 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am not worried either, I am getting the Johnson & Johnson Pill. But, I also must say that Israel is a responsible country, and for them to make a claim like that there could be something to it.

Peace

This might sound nitpicky, but just want to point out the the study is not from the Israeli government. It's from a university that is on Israel.  Tel Aviv. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

This might sound nitpicky, but just want to point out the the study is not from the Israeli government. It's from a university that is on Israel.  Tel Aviv. 

No that's fine, and you may be right, or should I said I hope your my friend only time will tell. But, many epidemiologists and virologists are voicing their own fears about this very subject. Fact is the longer it takes to reach Herd Immunity through vaccine worldwide the longer and more rapidly this Virus will mutate.

Oh and by the way, Herd Immunity is 70+ percent of the entire worlds population and we are not in any way close yet. 

Here is a recent thread I started that you did not post to, maybe you have not seen it.