Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California city pays its homeless to clean up encampments

Grim Reaper 6

A city in California is paying its homeless population in gift cards to grocery stores for cleaning up their encampments. Elk Grove launched the program funded by The Cares Act and the U.S. Department of Housing And Urban Development to address complaints of trash in the city and to form better relationships with the homeless population, CBS Sacramento reportedOfficers give the homeless trash bags and stop by every two weeks to pick them up. A homeless person can earn up to a $20 grocery store gift card if they have their trash bag filled up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-city-pays-its-homeless-to-clean-up-encampments/ar-BB1fvTKv

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Interesting tactic. I'm curious to see how the results will be.

• Like 4

Been seeing hoards of safety vested people out picking up trash today in my small city. Would have bought them all coffee if I had the money. I picked trash instead. Still felt good. Chicken soup for the soul.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Interesting tactic. I'm curious to see how the results will be.

My city started a project a couple of weeks ago for the homeless to pick up garbage around the city. I'm interested to see how that turns out. The city has provided trash cans for homeless camps already.

Since I was a kid I have always kept garbage bags in the car when I go on hikes in the country, the national parks and along the rivers and streams.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Rewarded for clearing up their own mess?

The rest of us have to pay for that service. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

My city started a project a couple of weeks ago for the homeless to pick up garbage around the city. I'm interested to see how that turns out. The city has provided trash cans for homeless camps already.

Since I was a kid I have always kept garbage bags in the car when I go on hikes in the country, the national parks and along the rivers and streams.

Cleaning up litter around town is great, but surely cleaning their own encampments should be done without the need of rewards.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

Cleaning up litter around town is great, but surely cleaning their own encampments should be done without the need of rewards.

You'd think...

It proves to me whether the people who live there truly want to be in a better situation or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

You would think. But they don't for some reason.

Which leads to only 3 options (that I can think of) in terms of keeping the city clean.

Paying city employees salaries or hourly to do it.

Using the gift cards.

Or using the police to disband the camps.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

You would think. But they don't for some reason.

Which leads to only 3 options (that I can think of) in terms of keeping the city clean.

Paying city employees salaries or hourly to do it.

Using the gift cards.

Has educating them been tried? Life is easier and cosier if you and your environment are clean.

Have threats been tried?  You'll be moved on if you don't clean up after yourself. (moving individuals not the whole camp)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Has educating them been tried? Life is easier and cosier if you and your environment are clean.

Have threats been tried?  You'll be moved on if you don't clean up after yourself. (moving individuals not the whole camp)

Not sure for either.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

The police do that periodically. They just move and cause problems for other people. One camp just moved to about a half mile from our house in a heavily wooded area. The people in the neighborhood have called the police more in the past six months than the last six years. They are always known by name by the police.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

What most people seem to forget is that more than 3/4 of Americas homeless are suffering from some form of mental illness, and many of those people are Veterans who came home with PTSD and other mental disorders. For an advanced country like the United States, mental illness isn't a problem that is really paid attention to and that's why the homeless slip through the cracks. I doubt you understand this, so your comments are not offensive to me, but the Americans posting to this thread I think they either also don't understand this or they feel justified to look down on these poor souls.

I suffer from PTSD, and I was treated for in the late 1990s and I can say  with experience that it can be a very debilitating condition. While I was receiving treatment at the VA Hospital at America Lake, I asked take charge of a group program for military members with PTSD. As a result of this .I learned what I have shared above, and I started an outreach program to help identify Veterans that are homeless. Myself and a few others would go out to all the locations where the homeless were living and try to identify Veterans. Because, I could at least get those people help, and get them off the street if they wanted to leave.

The veterans Administration supplies all types of bennifits to help those people. Next time you see a homeless person realize that most likely they don't want to live like that, they are not lazy, and in almost all cases they have no way out, especially the mentally ill.

This topic really isn't about making yourself feel better because you feel superior, it's about ways to help people not keep them where they are. Please pay no attention to my comments if they do not apply to you, but if they do take a moment and think about what I have said here today. 

J

iMO

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

What most people seem to forget is that more than 3/4 of Americas homeless are suffering from some form of mental illness, and many of those people are Veterans who came home with PTSD and other mental disorders

If they're suffering from mental health issues they should be getting the care they need, not discarded to sleep rough on the streets, you sanctimonious clown.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

If they're suffering from mental health issues they should be getting the care they need, not discarded to sleep rough on the streets, you sanctimonious prig.

The veterans do get help if they want it, we use to get them checked into the VA Hospital in Seattle. Once treated the VA will find them a place to stay, get them a job, and provide all they need for a fresh start. However, the rest of the Homeless who are mentally ill our government does nothing to help them, they are just forgotten. If they become an issue do to a mental break down, where they are a danger to themselves of others, they are taken into custody by the Police, then taken to Hospital and placed on a 72 hour mental hold. Given medication, given an appointment with a social worker and realesed, which doesnt really do a dam thing them.. In the past, the US had a large number of State and Federal Insitutions, however, to do to a lack of funding they started to close their doors in the 1970s. Today, their is no place to put these people where they can recieve the help they desperately need, we are talking about inpatient care until they are able to care for themselves.

As far as being a Sanctimonious prig, well I could careless what you think if that makes you feel justified fine by me!!!!!!!:lol:

I clearly said the following: 

Please pay no attention to my comments if they do not apply to you, but if they do take a moment and think about what I have said here today. 

The comments below were ment for you directly Eldorado, I know your not an American so like I said, I doubt you understand what is going on with this issue.

I doubt you understand this, so your comments are not offensive to me, but the Americans posting to this thread I think they either also don't understand this or they feel justified to look down on these poor souls.

If that bother you tough, this thread is things that help people who need it not to complain and demean those who need help!!:(

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Haha 1

So says the mass-murdering buddhist.

Away and raffle yourself, Mr True Blue American Patriot (who chooses not to live in the US of A but has plenty to say about it)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Away and raffle yourself, Mr True Blue American Patriot (who chooses not to live in the US of A but has plenty to say about it)

Jealous are you are, well it will get you no where Egosourous!!!!!!:D

It is nice to beable to live where I choose. Own a home here in Korea, and still own a home and property in Tacoma, Washington, paid more than 14,000 in taxes to the IRS, which is about average every year. Thanks for recognizing the fact that I am patriotic, because nothing could be more true, I retired from Militray after 23 years, and then I retired from working as a Government Contactor in 2019, Korea was my base of operations that I would leave from for destinations in the Middle East. 

So yea with all that said, I certainly have the right to speak about everything that go's on in America, I have more than earned the right to do so. As far as being a mass-murder Buddhist thats actually hilarious :lol: and it proves you are trying to provoke me, but you see your the one who is upset for whatever reason or at the behest of another thats afraid to speak.:D

So carry on there big Daddy, push those buttons until your fingers hurt and then smell them!!!!!!!:P

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Easy and  hypocritical  for him to spectate from another planet and cherry pick . 

But I have yet to meet a Snowflake who really inhabits this planet other than physically .

Keep one or two on ice if possible . They will make big money as curiosities sooner than they can conceive .

Or , if wealthy , employ one as a menial and encourage them to talk . Endlessly funny .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Luiza22 said:

Easy and  hypocritical  for him to spectate from another planet and cherry pick . 

But I have yet to meet a Snowflake who really inhabits this planet other than physically .

Keep one or two on ice if possible . They will make big money as curiosities sooner than they can conceive .

Or , if wealthy , employ one as a menial and encourage them to talk . Endlessly funny .

It is nice to be able to live where I choose. Own a home here in Korea, and still own a home and property in Tacoma, Washington, paid more than 14,000 in taxes to the IRS, which is about average every year. Thanks for recognizing the fact that I am patriotic, because nothing could be more true, I retired from Militray after 23 years, and then I retired from working as a Government Contactor in 2019, Korea was my base of operations where  I would leave from for destinations in the Middle East. 

Sounds like you looking for job?:lol: Sorry but I never employ trolls, if you somehow eat after midnight you guys reproduce like rabbits, .I can't be responsible for that!!:lol:

Or , if wealthy , employ one as a menial and encourage them to talk:P

No need to be so desperate to justify your existence . I can also   mix with the poor in spirit and pocket  , if I  have no alternative .

In the mean time  ,  concentrate on regaining  your mental balance and health so that you can come over and  see  Snowflake Land  before it disappears forever . Just in time to see Sleepy move off stage , be it  dead from a sudden heart attack or even flown down to Gitmo to face a tribunal . 

Isn't life such a joy and mystery !!!   Or , Nal yeos meog-eola , as we say in down town Seoul .

• Haha 1

I volunteered at a homeless shelter with over 2000 people and a lot, not all suffer from some type of addiction or mental illness and have given up hope.  PDST runs rampant with many homeless as they live in constant fear. Some want help but some just want to get by. This is a band aid solution. Steady work a safe place and a sense worth, is what's needed..   Slow foriegn aid aka bribes to nations that dont need it. One can't help others if they can't help themselves. I know a bit hypocritical but the truth hurts sometimes, and ya some people just don't want help period.  

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

This topic really isn't about making yourself feel better because you feel superior, it's about ways to help people not keep them where they are

I don't think anyone on this thread said they want to keep homeless people homeless?

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luiza22 said:

No need to be so desperate to justify your existence . I can also   mix with the poor in spirit and pocket  , if I  have no alternative .

In the mean time  ,  concentrate on regaining  your mental balance and health so that you can come over and  see  Snowflake Land  before it disappears forever . Just in time to see Sleepy move off stage , be it  dead from a sudden heart attack or even flown down to Gitmo to face a tribunal . 

Isn't life such a joy and mystery!!   Or , Nal yeos meog-eola , as we say in down town Seoul .

Your very very strange, like a Bird without Wings. The bolded above is not Korean, but keep making this up if it makes you feel better.:wacko:

인생은 그런 기쁨과 신비가 아닙니다

insaeng-eun geuleon gippeumgwa sinbiga anibnida

Actually many profit from the homeless so there are a few that want the problem to persist. The shelter I worked at was rampant with drugs theft bribery rape prostitution hired thugs you name it. The shelter was ment to be a womens prison but being downtown in an affluent city they tried to make the best of it by turning it into a shelter. Much much worse than a prison as no gaurds no real trained staff and a come and go as you please. Weapons were a big propblem. At least once or twice a week I would see dead bodies hauled out. Non profits do not exist, The name is to lull you into donating and very little of the so called donations trickle down. Sad but true. Now put the government in charge and oh oh wait the government pays the so called non profits to show how philanthropy works and makes you feel like they are helping when they are perpetuating the problem for themselves and the corrupt that run so called non profits. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't think anyone on this thread said they want to keep homeless people homeless?

That really what my comments were based upon some of the comments made in the thread that were made in a demeaning manner towards the homeless. Read the post I am going to post below, that post shows my comments and my intent.

Please pay no attention to my comments if they do not apply to you, but if they do take a moment and think about what I have said here today. 

Take Care my friend