Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Pet Tortoise on the Run After Escaping Kansas Home

Grim Reaper 6

One Kansas family is asking their neighbors to keep an eye out for a "giant tan, brown hump" after their 10-year-old pet tortoise, Madmartigan, escaped their Wichita backyard sometime between Monday morning and Monday afternoon. 

So far, the family has printed out flyers, posted on social media, and contacted Wichita Animal Control, but Madmartigan, who weighs 60 to 70 pounds and measures 18 inches beak to tail, continues to elude them. Tortoises have a reputation for sluggishness, Bahri said, but they can actually cover a lot of ground in a short period of time.

"She is a roaming animal, so she can actually get a lot further than you would think, and tortoises are actually a lot faster than you expect, a lot faster, actually, which was a surprising thing to learn," Bahri said

Giant Pet Tortoise on the Run After Escaping Kansas Home (msn.com)

• Thanks 2

Hopefully we get an update if she gets reunited. 

I was entertained by the image caption though, probably more than I should have been...

Edited by Saru
Image removed due to copyright
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

Hopefully we get an update if she gets reunited. 

I was entertained by the image caption though, probably more than I should have been...

Yea know, they seh weighs 60 or 70 pounds, and is 18 inches long. Thats baby for this species, but thats still a big Turtle man, I dont care what they say, and I realize they are slow moving but, how could the thing escape without being seen. I am afraid that someone stole the Turtle, and if that is the case its really sad, I also hope that somehow they find her.:tu:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 inches isn't too big for this turtle to escape and get to some wooded area where detection would be hard.  The radius of where it could be is growing every hour.