Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bluish White flashes of light on the side of a Mountain where Korean graves are located.

Grim Reaper 6

I have never posted to this section, and let me say up front I am a skeptic when it comes to Ghosts. Most know I am an American Expatriate living in South Korea. I live on the 17th floor of an apartment building ( In Korea people buy Apartments like most would by a home ) That has a small patio I sit on at night while Star gazing. Our home is located on the side of a Mountain. Last summer I went out exploring on the mountain, and I found that a large area had been used as a burial site. This is normal in Korea, and almost all Mountains have graves on them. Some of the graves on this mountain are 7 or 8 hundred years old, the way you can tell how old the graves are is because if they have a marker or head stone which many don't the old graves have Chinese characters carved into them. 

Anyway, while Star Gazing towards and over the mountain I have seen flashes of Bluish White light on many occasions since we moved into our new home. The bursts of light occur like a flash going off on a camera, but that is not what is going on here. First of all Koreans are very Superstitious, so no Korea would be on the mountain around the graves at night, it go's against their fear of disturbing the dead. They also believe that every mountain has a spirit that in habits it, and protects the mountain along with those buried there. Now, like I said I don't believe in Ghosts, but I also can't explain what I have seen, the reason I am posting this now is because it just happened again. Like always the light is exactly the same as the previous times I saw it. Except it appears not to occur in the exact same location each time and like normal there are 3 or 4 bursts and it all stops. There is no rime or reason to this, there is no regular time this occurs, like I have said I have no explanation for it.

If anyone has any suggestions about what this could be, please post your thoughts, any information is welcome Supernatural or not. :yes:

Thank you very much!

Manwon

• Like 4

I am sure people can come up with physical theories on things that can cause flashes of light but if you are saying it is associated with graveyards that would be difficult for science to explain. Well what do native Korean believers (priests) in the spirit world have to say about this?

A paranormal possibility would be energy from ancestor spirits.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Oh course We do have swamp gas, lol :whistle:

But i would think it it has to do with the known phenomenon of shifting earth crust and as you know things like quartz when crushed etc lets off flashes, it could also be static of some type as i saw light like that coming into my house one night.

Nope, i dont lean paranormal on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The suggestion that bats came up with seems plausible.

I don't know anything about geology,but its as good a theory as anything i can think of.

Do you have a video camera with a decent zoom ?

It might be hard to catch if they only flash for a few seconds,but you might get lucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I am sure people can come up with physical theories on things that can cause flashes of light but if you are saying it is associated with graveyards that would be difficult for science to explain. Well what do native Korean believers (priests) in the spirit world have to say about this?

A paranormal possibility would be energy from ancestor spirits.

The next time I go to Temple, I will ask the Monk that is helping me understand and learn about Buddhism. This is a topic we have never discussed, but I will bring it up and reply when I have the answer.

Thanks for your reply.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Oh course We do have swamp gas, lol :whistle:

But i would think it it has to do with the known phenomenon of shifting earth crust and as you know things like quartz when crushed etc lets off flashes, it could also be static of some type as i saw light like that coming into my house one night.

Nope, i dont lean paranormal on it.

Bats thanks for your reply, and you know I don't learn paranormal either. I wil do a Internet search based upon your suggestion, Swamp gas, I don't think so because it occurring on the incline of a Mountain side. However it is not just straight up and down in the area it's occurring in there are semi-flat areas. As far as being due to shifting Earth crust, that's possible but most of these mountains are volcanic based, next time I go walking in that area I will look and see if quarts is prevalent in the stone matrix. 

Now static discharge is something I have not considered, I will have to do some online searching to see if that's common in Lorea on mountain sides, that may be the answer.

Thanks my brother.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

The suggestion that bats came up with seems plausible.

I don't know anything about geology,but its as good a theory as anything i can think of.

Do you have a video camera with a decent zoom ?

It might be hard to catch if they only flash for a few seconds,but you might get lucky.

Yes I do have a camera with a zoom, but it happens very fast and there is no pattern to it as when it will occur. I also like Bats idea concerning static discharge of some kind, that's something I never considered. PapaGeorge, also suggest that I should speak with a Monk to see if they are familiar with the phenomenon, and .I am also going to do that. 

Thanks

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Grave robbers.

I don't think that is possible because of what I have written in the OP.

First of all Koreans are very Superstitious, so no Korea would be on the mountain around the graves at night, it go's against their fear of disturbing the dead. They also believe that every mountain has a spirit that in habits it, and protects the mountain along with those buried there. Now, like I said I don't believe in Ghosts, but I also can't explain what I have seen.

thanks

8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I have never posted to this section, and let me say up front I am a skeptic when it comes to Ghosts. Most know I am an American Expatriate living in South Korea. I live on the 17th floor of an apartment building ( In Korea people buy Apartments like most would by a home ) That has a small patio I sit on at night while Star gazing. Our home is located on the side of a Mountain. Last summer I went out exploring on the mountain, and I found that a large area had been used as a burial site. This is normal in Korea, and almost all Mountains have graves on them. Some of the graves on this mountain are 7 or 8 hundred years old, the way you can tell how old the graves are is because if they have a marker or head stone which many don't the old graves have Chinese characters carved into them. 

Anyway, while Star Gazing towards and over the mountain I have seen flashes of Bluish White light on many occasions since we moved into our new home. The bursts of light occur like a flash going off on a camera, but that is not what is going on here. First of all Koreans are very Superstitious, so no Korea would be on the mountain around the graves at night, it go's against their fear of disturbing the dead. They also believe that every mountain has a spirit that in habits it, and protects the mountain along with those buried there. Now, like I said I don't believe in Ghosts, but I also can't explain what I have seen, the reason I am posting this now is because it just happened again. Like always the light is exactly the same as the previous times I saw it. Except it appears not to occur in the exact same location each time and like normal there are 3 or 4 bursts and it all stops. There is no rime or reason to this, there is no regular time this occurs, like I have said I have no explanation for it.

If anyone has any suggestions about what this could be, please post your thoughts, any information is welcome Supernatural or not. :yes:

Thank you very much!

Manwon

Grave robbers? Non-Korean grave robbers? Could there be anything valuable to dig up? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Grave robbers? Non-Korean grave robbers? Could there be anything valuable to dig up? 

The area we live in has a population of maybe 15 or 20 thousand it's located in the countryside. I have never seen another Caucasian in this area during the 4 1/2 years we have lived here out here I am the White Boy:lol: As far as valuables in the graves, I can only speculate, but like .I said some of the graves are 700+ years old or older because those with markers have Chinese writing on them if they are really old.

Thanks My brother

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I don't think that is possible because of what I have written in the OP.

First of all Koreans are very Superstitious, so no Korea would be on the mountain around the graves at night, it go's against their fear of disturbing the dead. They also believe that every mountain has a spirit that in habits it, and protects the mountain along with those buried there. Now, like I said I don't believe in Ghosts, but I also can't explain what I have seen.

thanks

That's a generalization I wouldn't bet on. Just because some are superstitious doesn't mean all are. So grave robbers are a possibility. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Bats thanks for your reply, and you know I don't learn paranormal either. I wil do a Internet search based upon your suggestion, Swamp gas, I don't think so because it occurring on the incline of a Mountain side. However it is not just straight up and down in the area it's occurring in there are semi-flat areas. As far as being due to shifting Earth crust, that's possible but most of these mountains are volcanic based, next time I go walking in that area I will look and see if quarts is prevalent in the stone matrix. 

Now static discharge is something I have not considered, I will have to do some online searching to see if that's common in Lorea on mountain sides, that may be the answer.

Thanks my brother.

"Swamp gas" was mostly a joke.

tectonic shifts,

piezoelectric, you know what makes the spark on electronic lighters, i believe isnt limited to quartz but can be built up in ceramic and even bone etc.

You know there are lots of tales of ghosts lights and i do not believe all are headlights, fire flies or made up i also do not believe they are paranormal,  but some lights look otherwordly, i was sure it was a ghost or ET first firefly i ever saw.

Ive told this before on here, once at night i went to open the padlock on my garage door and there was a very bright very quick flash of bluish white light right in front of me, i felt no shock, it gave the feel of lightening in the sky but was just right there.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Ill just say it doesn't really fit with neighborhoodlums, as a bunch of weird flashing lights would attract attention and anyone up to mischief wouldnt desire that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Ill just say it doesn't really fit with neighborhoodlums, as a bunch of weird flashing lights would attract attention and anyone up to mischief wouldnt desire that.

If your gonna go grave robbing,you don't take lights,you go when theres decent moonlight.speaking from a logical point...not experience.

I think first investigation should be checking out the geological and mineral composition of the local area.

Maybe check youtube to see if anybody has filmed a similar event.

I've a feeling asking the monk will take the explanation down a spiritual route.but you may as well cover all angles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

That's a generalization I wouldn't bet on. Just because some are superstitious doesn't mean all are. So grave robbers are a possibility. 

Anything is possible, however I have lived here for a total of 10 years and hiking on these mountains is something I love to do, and I have done it all over Korea. In all that time I have never seen evidence of grave robbing anywhere during that time. I have seen human bones that were naturally washed out by run off from the monsoon season though. But, one thing you don't understand is the Asian mindset and it isn't like our mindset in anyway. Yes I have heard of robbers digging in archeological sites, but never in a grave site like I am talking about. Korea is covered by mountains all the flat land is used for agricultural, so for thousands of years the dead were either cremated or buried upon mountains. Korean graves are signified by a small mound with a burn that go's half way around it, now as time go's by erosion takes that all away, so there are graves most likely on top of graves that are thousand of years older and unless they have a marker in many cases you would not know they are even there.

As far as superstition these people still going to shamins  to see if is is ok to move or if they are marrying the right person. Shamins are all over Korea, and superstition is so common place I would be surprised if there are any here who do not believe in it in some form or another. 

JIMO

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

If your gonna go grave robbing,you don't take lights,you go when theres decent moonlight.speaking from a logical point...not experience.

I think first investigation should be checking out the geological and mineral composition of the local area.

Maybe check youtube to see if anybody has filmed a similar event.

I've a feeling asking the monk will take the explanation down a spiritual route.but you may as well cover all angles.

For the most part i agree with not asking the monk, indigenous people especially religious ilk do not have the same defined lines of demarcation between real and spirit world.

You might get a more modern monk who thinks outside the box of the monks snswer to papaG.

However, you get an out of box thinking monk and might wrap the whole thing up right there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, the13bats said:

"Swamp gas" was mostly a joke.

tectonic shifts,

piezoelectric, you know what makes the spark on electronic lighters, i believe isnt limited to quartz but can be built up in ceramic and even bone etc.

You know there are lots of tales of ghosts lights and i do not believe all are headlights, fire flies or made up i also do not believe they are paranormal,  but some lights look otherwordly, i was sure it was a ghost or ET first firefly i ever saw.

Ive told this before on here, once at night i went to open the padlock on my garage door and there was a very bright very quick flash of bluish white light right in front of me, i felt no shock, it gave the feel of lightening in the sky but was just right there.

I think something along the lines you are describing may be the answer. I am leaning toward static discharge, but your right Piezoelectric discharge is also possible.

Thanks Bats

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, the13bats said:

For the most part i agree with not asking the monk, indigenous people especially religious ilk do not have the same defined lines of demarcation between real and spirit world.

You might get a more modern monk who thinks outside the box of the monks snswer to papaG.

However, you get an out of box thinking monk and might wrap the whole thing up right there.

Korean Monks are not only Spiritual they also study the of nature science, as part of their beliefs. Being a Buddhist is trying to understand life, both human and natural so from what I have learned concerning them is that they are open minded and unlike organized religions they don't equate everything that happens around they as supernatural. In a previous post I mentioned tha Shamins are very common in Korea, but Buddhist Monks do not practice that belief, there is a very deep separation between Shamins and Monks.

Peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are they anything like this @Manwon Lender ?

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Positive as always, I like you Xeno but changing the conversation and offering your ideas in way that only fits them isn't always a great way to carry on a conversation.:lol:

See the bolded above. 

3 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

Are they anything like this @Manwon Lender ?

No, those lights last two long and they are white looking ar least to me. The lights I have been seeing are like a camera flash, Bluish White, and for the instant you can see them they are also very bright. If I had to compare them to something it would be like a lightening flash, except it is occurring on clear nights with no clouds, because I have seen them while Star Gazing.

Man, thanks for the help I appreciate it my friend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well thats all ive got.im swayed toward minerals in the ground.

As you say the monks are into nature,it might be worth asking them about it.

It could be a natural phenomenon the have known about for years.

Good luck on your quest.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

Well thats all ive got.im swayed toward minerals in the ground.

As you say the monks are into nature,it might be worth asking them about it.

It could be a natural phenomenon the have known about for years.

Good luck on your quest.

Hey thanks for your time and your participation I appreciate the help you have given me, after I talk with the Monks I will update this thread with what I learn. 

Peace bro.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hey thanks for your time and your participation I appreciate the help you have given me, after I talk with the Monks I will update this thread with what I learn. 

Peace bro.

See,just proves 2 people can find common ground as long as they stay away from politics.

Take care,i hope you find some answers.

Appreciate the kind words.

• Thanks 1