Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police Kill Black Man Daunte Wright During Traffic Stop Near Minneapolis — What to Know

Grim Reaper 6

Police shot and killed a driver during a traffic stop Sunday in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, just minutes away from Minneapolis. The incident immediately landed in a cultural fissure. The man, identified in social media and news reports as Daunte Wright, 20, was Black. This incident happens amid a trial against fired, white Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, 44, for the fatal arrest of George Floyd, 46, who was also Black. They tried to take him into custody, but he went back into the vehicle, police said. One of the officers shot the driver. Officers said the vehicle went several blocks before crashing into another one. A woman in the vehicle sustained non-life threatening injuries in the crash, but people in the other vehicle were unhurt. Police said they “believe” body-worn and dash cams were on Police Kill Black Man Daunte Wright During Traffic Stop Near Minneapolis — What to Know (msn.com)

• Sad 2

46 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

SHOOTERS!

Yes ignorance is certainly bliss.:yes:

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, President-Elect Acidhead said:

LOOTERS!

You'd think after others have recently been shot for turning their back on cops and trying to access the inside of their car, maybe it ain't such a smart move?  This kid died of stupid.  I have no more patience for these willful idiots.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, and then said:

You'd think after others have recently been shot for turning their back on cops and trying to access the inside of their car, maybe it ain't such a smart move?  This kid died of stupid.  I have no more patience for these willful idiots.  

What's the actual reason people get shot for doing this? 

Why is a gun drawn in the first place?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you are running away from cops, you are potential danger to others. Just let cops search your vehicle, you can record the interactions if you feel so, you are allowed. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I can't make a judgement on this one yet.  Too early and too little known.   His race may or may not have been a factor.   Too many people rush to judgment.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I thought I read earlier he had an outstanding warrant for something. 

I guess Police are too lazy to engage anymore and "qualified immunity" makes it easier to shoot and kill, so they can get back to Krispy Kreme easier.

• Like 3

The stealing was bad in this riot.  Lots of thieves.   Lots of destruction too.  

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

What's the actual reason people get shot for doing this? 

Why is a gun drawn in the first place?

Because he could be pulling out a gun to shoot the cops.

Police activist before have shown videos of police getting shot at traffic stops and how quickly someone can pull out a gun and shoot before police have time to react.

I suppose as a Aussie you might see that as a reason that the US should ban guns. 

But that's the reason anyways.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Police activist before have shown videos of police getting shot at traffic stops and how quickly someone can pull out a gun and shoot before police have time to react.

I suppose as a Aussie you might see that as a reason that the US should ban guns. 

Also, it was 2am.   You need to be extra careful in the wee hours.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I can't make a judgement on this one yet.  Too early and too little known.   His race may or may not have been a factor.   Too many people rush to judgment.  

IF the report is accurate, the kid had gotten out of the vehicle then tried to get back in, turning his back to the cop.  Cops can be real jerks but they aren't mind readers and when someone refuses to comply and makes a move that could mask them reaching for a weapon, BAD THINGS are usually going to happen.  There is body cam video and hopefully the debate will be answered.  I REALLY cannot have a huge amount of sympathy for people in today's climate who simply refuse orders from cops.  WHY would anyone take the risk of being misunderstood and causing such an incident?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I certainly can't speak for all of them but those here seem to have this superiority delusion going on where guns in the U.S. are concerned.  It's annoying but does no harm beyond that.  THIS is the U.S., not OZ and we'll decide on how we live our lives.  What we have today is a CULTURAL problem, not a gun problem.  The guns have always been around.  The mass shootings are a relatively new phenomenon that could probably be tracked alongside the rise of Leftist culture in the U.S.  

The kid was 20-years-old and that's as old as he'll ever be and it happened because he either made an honest mistake OR because he was just terminally stupid.  LOTS of young men die from terminal stupidity.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Myles said:

The stealing was bad in this riot.  Lots of thieves.   Lots of destruction too.  

Criminal scum using any excuse to steal and destroy and as long as their government lets them, it will only get worse.  Why should the mayor or governor care when they have collaborators in DC who'll cut them a check for the damage out of Federal funds?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

While these instances are an issue, it's not as big of an issue or based on race as much as we are led to believe.  

White people are shot and killed by cops more than once a day.   In fact it is every .87 days (227 per year)

Black people are shot and killed by cops every 1.6 days. (421 per year).

Of course black people only make up 15% of the population so they should be lower.  They also don't often live in low crime areas.   I have to assume people in higher crime areas get pulled over by cops more often than in low crime areas.   

• Like 1

Why riot? Noone knows what happened yet, but these rioters are certain its racism? Or are they just after new shoes and TVs? I bet noone stole work boots, books or fathers day cards.

Does anyone know who owned the vehicle that Daunte was driving?

• Like 2

Looks like the officer was a woman and may have grabbed the gun by mistake. 

Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said he believed the so far unidentified officer intended to reach for a Taser but mistakenly grabbed her service weapon and deployed a single bullet. Both the chief and Mayor Mike Elliott declined to release the officer's name at this time but said the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension should be releasing information about all involved parties soon.

Edited by Myles
  • Sad 1

I Do not believe these " i accidentally grabbed a gun" bull crap.   they weight different, they feel different, one is black the other is bright yellow,  how come no one accidentally grabbed a radio, a paper spray, baton or anything else, they always mistake a taser for a gun,  i do not buy it for a second.  

• Like 1

Some.of you people need to get over the idea that the police have the right to kill.you for not obeying commands. I don't care what dude was doing. Innocent until proven guilty. He can turn around, get in his car, do a ****ing dance. Not a reason to be killed. 

Edited by Occupational Hubris
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Some.of you people need to get over the idea that the police have the right to kill.you for not obeying commands. I care what dude was doing. Innocent until proven guilty. He can turn around, get in his car, do a ****ing dance. Not a reason to be killed. 

I agree. And qualified immunity has only been around since 1983. And it seems since that time, Police stopped chasing the suspect, and simply open fire, killing them.

Qualified immunity has not always been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

I agree. And qualified immunity has only been around since 1983. And it seems since that time, Police stopped chasing the suspect, and simply open fire, killing them.

Qualified immunity has not always been.

Look at how the victim blaming starts almost immediately in this thread. This police hero worship needs to end and qualified imunitywith it. It shouldn't be a case of obey or risk getting shot. That's absolutely absurd and completely at odds with what we claim our country stands for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Some.of you people need to get over the idea that the police have the right to kill.you for not obeying commands. I don't care what dude was doing. Innocent until proven guilty. He can turn around, get in his car, do a ****ing dance. Not a reason to be killed. 

Rational thinking isn't for everyone. 

2 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Its so sad what's going on in our county , should the police just left anyone go on the arrests?

Defund the courts

Judge Dredd: America Is Even More Relevant 30 Years Later

• Like 1
  • Haha 1