Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tourist towns in Western Australia hit by cyclone

Eldorado

Cyclone Seroja tears through tourist towns as people seek refuge in unusual places

People caught up in a fierce tropical cyclone that brought wind gusts of up to 170km/h to tourist towns in Western Australia say it looks like a bomb has gone off after roofs were ripped off many homes.

Tropical Cyclone Seroja made landfall on Sunday evening, just south of Kalbarri, as a category 3 storm.

Many locals took to social media to reveal their makeshift shelters as the terrifying eye of the storm approached.

One person said they were hiding in a walk-in wardrobe, while a couple and their dog took refuge in a pantry.

News dot com Australia

Edited by Eldorado

most of the area is still without power and phone reception.. my niece is in geraldton.. (south of kalbarri).. it did not hit geraldton direct but they get the side edges of it.. so we are waiting to hear from her to see how they held up.. 

There has been a lot of damage to infrastructure.. Especially since Kalbarri is a tourist town.. Perth was forecast to have some of the winds and rain but did not happen.. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-12/cyclone-seroja-wreaks-havoc-wa-one-mile-jetty-destroyed/100062020

https://www.9news.com.au/national/cyclone-seroja-homes-damaged-destroyed-warnings-alerts-storm-western-australia/2640f023-d923-4945-a7d2-95096b56b5fc

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Cyclone Seroja tears through tourist towns as people seek refuge in unusual places

People caught up in a fierce tropical cyclone that brought wind gusts of up to 170km/h to tourist towns in Western Australia say it looks like a bomb has gone off after roofs were ripped off many homes.

Tropical Cyclone Seroja made landfall on Sunday evening, just south of Kalbarri, as a category 3 storm.

Many locals took to social media to reveal their makeshift shelters as the terrifying eye of the storm approached.

One person said they were hiding in a walk-in wardrobe, while a couple and their dog took refuge in a pantry.

News dot com Australia

And no one tried to ride it? In Australia?*leaves disappointed*

/Couldn't help myself. Sorry.

10 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

And no one tried to ride it? In Australia?*leaves disappointed*

/Couldn't help myself. Sorry.

lol.. now if it was a Cat 1 Cyclone I am sure there would have been the surfing crowd out.. we may be a little mad down here.. but we are not full blown crazy :w00t:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DingoLingo said:

lol.. now if it was a Cat 1 Cyclone I am sure there would have been the surfing crowd out.. we may be a little mad down here.. but we are not full blown crazy :w00t:

Sorry I thought this guy was Australian. Pecos Bill. Should have been an Aussie.<_<

640px-Pecos_Bill_Lassos_A_Tornado.jpg

Just now, Hankenhunter said:

Double post. Sorry. 

Edited by Hankenhunter