Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The end is nigh for the 'United' Kingdom

Eldorado

The pandemic has seeded the idea of a prime minister “who speaks for England alone” as relations between the four nations of the UK deteriorate amid “deep-rooted complacency”, a senior former civil servant has warned.

There is widespread ignorance towards the union, meaning ministers can be kept in the dark about major reforms with little consideration for the four nations, Sir Philip Rycroft, the permanent secretary to the Brexit department until 2019, says in a report.

His damning conclusion says the 300-year-old union is in deep peril and even major political ructions such as the close-run 2014 Scottish referendum and the following year’s SNP landslide prompted little soul-searching in Westminster.

Guardian article at MSN

Boris Johnson will allow second Scottish independence vote if SNP wins election, Sturgeon says

SNP leader claims ‘strong preference’ is to hold new independence referendum by 2023

Independent

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to The end is nigh for the 'United' Kingdom

Percentage of people who would vote yes in a second Scottish independence referendum (rolling average of previous three polls)

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/charts/second-scottish-independence-referendum-polling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_Scottish_independence

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

" . . . . emergence of a more active independence movement in Wales" ?! Say what?! :blink: That has passed me by completely. I wonder what form it takes?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

" . . . . emergence of a more active independence movement in Wales" ?! Say what?! :blink: That has passed me by completely. I wonder what form it takes?

The independence movement in Wales is taking strides atm. I donate money to Plaid Cymru every month.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

The independence movement in Wales is taking strides atm. I donate money to Plaid Cymru every month.

What are they hoping to achieve?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

They want Wales to become a sovereign nation, independent of England, instead of being a principality.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

To become an independant state and rejoin the EU. Won't be easy but it's achievable, in my humble opinion ofcourse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Tbh polls mean little to me, they've done polls in West Wales and North Wales (both seen as heartlands of Wales) where theres a stronger support for independance where Plaid Cymru actually have seats in the Sennedd (Welsh Parliament), % is usually higher than it would be in South Wales (where I live). My town, Bridgend, has been labour for 30 odd years, Labour lost the seat to UK parliament and might actually lose a seat in May (local elections) aswell.

Surveys are great and all if there is a huge amount of people participating.

18 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

To become an independant state and rejoin the EU. Won't be easy but it's achievable, in my humble opinion ofcourse.

UKIP has pledged to hold a referendum on scrapping the Welsh Parliament.

Its manifesto for the Senedd election pledges to scrap measures to help asylum seekers and refugees in Wales, end the smacking ban and stop sex education in primary schools.

UKIP Wales leader Neil Hamilton said it was the bravest manifesto "ever set out for moving Wales forward".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-56719845

2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

UKIP has pledged to hold a referendum on scrapping the Welsh Parliament.

Its manifesto for the Senedd election pledges to scrap measures to help asylum seekers and refugees in Wales, end the smacking ban and stop sex education in primary schools.

UKIP Wales leader Neil Hamilton said it was the bravest manifesto "ever set out for moving Wales forward".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-56719845

Yea saw that last night, absolute backwards party.

• Like 2