Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All US troops out of Afghanistan by Sept 11

Eldorado

22 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

That was actually the last time I have ever been prescribed opiates.  There was this one time though, I sprained my ankle bad enough to get a MEDEVAC in Iraq, and the PA gave me a shot of fentanyl before I left.  I will say, I can see the allure of the drug to addicts.  He did receive a talking to for giving fentanyl for a sprained ankle though.  In his defense, it swelled up to the size of a grapefruit and bruised instantly, he thought it was a nasty fracture.

I can also see that allure, but I never had that allure. I was only follwing the instructions of my doctor, and when your in the pain I have lived with, you don't get high off the drugs and they never fully reduce the pain, any reduction that allows a person to function is a blessing. 

'We have won the war, America has lost', say Taliban

The Taliban believe victory is theirs. Sitting over a cup of green tea, Haji Hekmat proclaims, "we have won the war and America has lost". The decision by US President Joe Biden to delay the withdrawal of remaining US forces to September, meaning they will remain in the country past the 1 May deadline agreed last year, has sparked a sharp reaction from the Taliban's political leadership. Nonetheless, momentum seems to be with the militants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56747158

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am sorry to here that sincerely, like I said before I have been there. However, I also did not exceed the prescribed dosage, I followed my doctors instructions. But, many people don't unfortunately and sadly it costs then their lives. I do however, understand how if you are using these drugs for other than their intended purpose they are very deadly! 

My mother was prescribed oxycontin and oxycodone for pain.  She always took half the dose the doctor prescribed but the doctor never tried anything that worked better and the only thing those drugs did for her pain was take her brain away.   And then after being on them for 3 1/2 years with the dose being upped until they couldn't raise it they put her on heavy doses of gabipentin and fentanyl with morphine which immediately put her in a comma, but did not kill her (palliative care) for over a week.   That was 6 years ago, and I know things have not changed in that short time.  It is standard proceedure for cancer patients but there are better ways of managing (actually managing) pain than opiates.  Doctors are too lazy to do any research or even listen to their patients.  If you are ever in Albuquerque and need cancer treatment do not go to Presbyterian cancer center, they are archiac and awful with their attitudes about people and very uncaring.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

At least legalizing would get the cartels and some of the violence out of the picture.  

The cartels will just legitimate themselves...

They will probably need to blow off a lot of equipment before living... no way they will be able to bring all the stuff back in time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

The cartels will just legitimate themselves...

Right, and the government will make them go through  hoops and they will not be killing competitors like they are now.  Just look at the alcohol industry and how it played out with prohibition etc.  The only advantage the government had then was they sanctioned the bullies that destroyed stills and killed people so that the big companies could legally sell alcohol and anyone else could make it for their own consumption but not sell it.   It is a big tax cow  now.   Legitimizing the cartels will bring more taxes in and eliminate the need for them to have armies.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

They will probably need to blow off a lot of equipment before living... no way they will be able to bring all the stuff back in time.

they will leave it to Taliban, like we left equipment for isis. in iraq.in 2015,  under Obama administration,  you can't expect even more incompetent Biden's cabinet to do anything different

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My mother was prescribed oxycontin and oxycodone for pain.  She always took half the dose the doctor prescribed but the doctor never tried anything that worked better and the only thing those drugs did for her pain was take her brain away.   And then after being on them for 3 1/2 years with the dose being upped until they couldn't raise it they put her on heavy doses of gabipentin and fentanyl with morphine which immediately put her in a comma, but did not kill her (palliative care) for over a week.   That was 6 years ago, and I know things have not changed in that short time.  It is standard proceedure for cancer patients but there are better ways of managing (actually managing) pain than opiates.  Doctors are too lazy to do any research or even listen to their patients.  If you are ever in Albuquerque and need cancer treatment do not go to Presbyterian cancer center, they are archiac and awful with their attitudes about people and very uncaring.

I am very very sorry to hear about mother and I that sincerely. I also don't disagree with what you have experienced, but mine was totally different and that's what my comments have been based upon in previous posts, so please take no offense  In my case the medication didn't effect me the same way, in fact it affected in the opposite way. I was like the energizer Bunny, I was wide awake and it had no effect on focus or concentration at all, in fact If I took my medicate within 4 hours of bedtime I could not sleep. When I made the decision to stop taking the medication I was at 500mg per day, I could not take the OxyContin because of the extended release. It just didn't give me enough control for my pain, unless I took 2 80mg tablets at the same Time. So, my Doctor tried some experiments with different combinations of the drugs and it turnout that immediate release Oxycodone worked best.

So I was taking 2 60mg tablets 4 tines a day, and I also had enough 10mg tablets to take 2 per day for break through pain. However, the doctor never explained to me what the effects of the physical addition would be and not  having any experience with drugs like this I didn't ask, which was a Hugh mistake. I also reached the maximum level they could prescribe at that time it was 500mg per day. So when that dosage wasn't cutting it any more they recommended the pain pump which would be refilled weekly with  orphine. That's why I decided to quit the medication and then came the withdrawals. He wanted to wean me down to a lower dosage, but I did not want to deal with it for another year, so .I quit cold turkey and stayed home for a little more than a month. Now this was all done through Military Doctor, not a civilian doctor. Like I have said I was clean in 2012 and I never became addicted again, but I was never mentally addicted,only physically addicted.

To this day I still have a supply on hand in case my pain level shoots up, but what I learned from my previous experience is that if you don't use the medication for more than 3 days at a time, that I would have no ill effects. My last surgery was here in Korea in 2015, and here the drug of choice they prescribe is fentanyl. While I was hospitalized they gave me an IV drip, and when I was discharged, they gave me 10mg fentanyl lollipops. 

Again I am really sorry to hear about your mom. Both of my parents are gone. My mother outlived my father by almost 15 years and she passed in 2006 so I have no blood relatives in the United States now it's just me and my wife.:)

Take good care my friend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

Jon you would be surprised how fast they can get the equipment out if there. What they will leave behind is the supplies, Camo Nets, and all kinds of liquid. When my united redeployed from Iraq, they had the Engineers come in with Bulldozer and dig a deep hole and everything we left was buried almost 20 feet down.

Take Care Jon.Jin 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Jon you would be surprised how fast they can get the equipment out if there. What they will leave behind is the supplies, Camo Nets, and all kinds of liquid. When my united redeployed from Iraq, they had the Engineers come in with Bulldozer and dig a deep hole and everything we left was buried almost 20 feet down.

Take Care Jon.Jin 

When my dad was in the army in the 50's they did the same thing when they closed a base he was stationed at.  His job was to haul stuff to the dig site.  He knew some families that had no money to buy food so he and his friends smuggled some of the food from the mess halls to them.    I think he took a few souvenirs for himself as well.  He had ammo boxes he used to keep his tools in, and a few other things he came back with from the army.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

When my dad was in the army in the 50's they did the same thing when they closed a base he was stationed at.  His job was to haul stuff to the dig site.  He knew some families that had no money to buy food so he and his friends smuggled some of the food from the mess halls to them.    I think he took a few souvenirs for himself as well.  He had ammo boxes he used to keep his tools in, and a few other things he came back with from the army.   

Wow your Dad sounds like a real good guy. Like him. I also kept some souvenirs, and just like him I used the metal ammo boxes  for screws,  nails and all kinds if odds and ends. I used wooden bias for tools, all that stuff is in a Hugh storage locker back in the states, ones of these we are going to come home for good.

It time for bed, it's 1:30 am here, take Care and have good one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Take Care Jon.Jin 

Most of the stuff have been discarded anyway. It's just a pain to see all tax money that was spent going to the bin.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/scrap-heap-of-war-billions-in-equipment-being-left-behind-in-afghanistan

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 4:09 PM, OverSword said:

We could always go back if the camps go back up.

This is what I've thought to be the best solution from the beginning but I don't know enough about the logistics of that kind of capability.  When I said flatten a couple of mountain tops I wasn't being rhetorical.  I'd have used a few nuclear bunker busters to immolate the rats in the Tora Bora tunnels.  All I know for sure is that if we aren't going to be allowed to live in peace, NONE OF THEM should get a night's rest either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Most of the stuff have been discarded anyway. It's just a pain to see all tax money that was spent going to the bin.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/scrap-heap-of-war-billions-in-equipment-being-left-behind-in-afghanistan

I totally agree Jon it does suck!:yes:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, and then said:

This is what I've thought to be the best solution from the beginning but I don't know enough about the logistics of that kind of capability.  When I said flatten a couple of mountain tops I wasn't being rhetorical.  I'd have used a few nuclear bunker busters to immolate the rats in the Tora Bora tunnels.  All I know for sure is that if we aren't going to be allowed to live in peace, NONE OF THEM should get a night's rest either.

I've often said we don't need boots on the ground to totally blast any part of Afghanistan. The only reason to put boots there is Nation Building. We wanted to make them into a Taiwan, South Korea, or Japan. But they didn't want that, so I'm not sure why we tried.

22 hours ago, Eldorado said:

'We have won the war, America has lost', say Taliban

The Taliban believe victory is theirs. Sitting over a cup of green tea, Haji Hekmat proclaims, "we have won the war and America has lost". The decision by US President Joe Biden to delay the withdrawal of remaining US forces to September, meaning they will remain in the country past the 1 May deadline agreed last year, has sparked a sharp reaction from the Taliban's political leadership. Nonetheless, momentum seems to be with the militants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56747158

To which we should all say “cool, good for you. Enjoy your shithole of a country, but if you even so much as look sideways at us again we’ll bomb your arses again.”

• Like 1