Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's wealthiest 'at heart of climate problem'

Eldorado

The world’s wealthy must radically change their lifestyles to tackle climate change, a report says.

It says the world's wealthiest 1% produce double the combined carbon emissions of the poorest 50%, according to the UN.

The wealthiest 5% alone – the so-called “polluter elite” - contributed 37% of emissions growth between 1990 and 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56723560

• Like 3

I will mention no names while the UK is still grieving the sad loss of a senior family member, but someone in the same family, who is fabulously wealthy, owning several large homes, estates, and 4x4s to tend to his estates, takes his private jet around the world to give lectures on what we can all do as individuals to tackle climate change. Always makes me chuckle (not at the moment though, obviously).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

The world’s wealthy must radically change their lifestyles to tackle climate change, a report says.

It says the world's wealthiest 1% produce double the combined carbon emissions of the poorest 50%, according to the UN.

The wealthiest 5% alone – the so-called “polluter elite” - contributed 37% of emissions growth between 1990 and 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56723560

Shut up and use our lightbulbs that give you cancer if you break them and the same shopping bag for the rest of your life, this is all your fault!!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

I will mention no names while the UK is still grieving the sad loss of a senior family member, but someone in the same family, who is fabulously wealthy, owning several large homes, estates, and 4x4s to tend to his estates, takes his private jet around the world to give lectures on what we can all do as individuals to tackle climate change. Always makes me chuckle (not at the moment though, obviously).

We have a few like that on this side of the pond, as well

In fact, as a general rule, if they preach it, you can practically count on them being the worst offenders 

• Like 2

Which of you voted for this member of parliament loon???  

• Haha 2

*Googles name*

*Sees british parliament*

Good this one isn't our fault :P lol

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to To Solve The Climate Crisis the Rich Must Be Abolished

That remark reminded me of a conservative talk show host in Jackson, MS.  He and his guests were almost exclusively black but just listening to them you swear it was Rush Limbaugh ;)   I was driving home from work one afternoon and had tuned them in just in time to hear the host say he'd found a solution for homelessness AND hunger.  "Feed the homeless to the hungry" :w00t:

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Which of you voted for this member of parliament loon???  

Tell me OverSword, how is she wrong? I notice you left out that particular logic being so quick to denigrate her. Could it be that you're wealthy? Could it be that the op scared you. Derision is an ego action based on fear. Why are you scared? Instead of denigrating the questions I asked, ask yourself why.

Edited by Hankenhunter

4 minutes ago, and then said:

That remark reminded me of a conservative talk show host in Jackson, MS.  He and his guests were almost exclusively black but just listening to them you swear it was Rush Limbaugh ;)   I was driving home from work one afternoon and had tuned them in just in time to hear the host say he'd found a solution for homelessness AND hunger.  "Feed the homeless to the hungry" :w00t:

You accusing someone of being illogical is hilariously unfunny. You even managed to rave a bit to prove my point. Well done, mate.:tu:

8 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Tell me OverSword, how is she wrong? I notice you left out that particular logic being so quick to denigrate her. Could it be that you're wealthy? Could it be that the op scared you. Derision is an ego action based on fear. Why are you scared? Instead of denigrating the questions I asked, ask yourself why.

How is she wrong?  By far the largest source of pollution is not individual people it is industrial.  If you think she's right stop driving, using electricity, drinking out of plastic containers or using things made industrially.  If you don't want to do that then join the rest of us as we back technologies that are moving us towards less pollution as these technologies develop and become viable.  She's a simple minded, short sighted fool with a twitter account who should not hold office.  Nobody that would post such a thing deserves a leadership role anywhere.  She's basically just like trump if she spouts thoughtless crap without being able to think it through or back it up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OverSword said:

How is she wrong?  By far the largest source of pollution is not individual people it is industrial.  If you think she's right stop driving, using electricity, drinking out of plastic containers or using things made industrially.  If you don't want to do that then join the rest of us as we back technologies that are moving us towards less pollution as these technologies develop and become viable.  She's a simple minded, short sighted fool with a twitter account who should not hold office.  Nobody that would post such a thing deserves a leadership role anywhere.  She's basically just like trump if she spouts thoughtless crap without being able to think it through or back it up.

Very illogical. You're speaking in absolutes. Well, it's to hard to try, so we shouldn't. That's defeatest. Care to try again without all the rambling? Again, you're denigrating to avoid answering truthfully. Bad habit.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Very illogical. You're speaking in absolutes. Well, it's to hard to try, so we shouldn't. That's defeatest. Care to try again without all the rambling? Again, your denigrating to avoid answering truthfully. Bad habit.

You're joking.  She want's to eliminate all the people that pollute or at least their "class" based on wealth, and I'm the one dealing in absolutes?  I back being greener and implementing more and more greener technologies as they become viable and I'm somehow saying we shouldn't try?  I think you are just disagreeing with me because I'm me and you have completely ignored anything I or Claudia Webbe have actually said.  She's a lunatic and I'm the voice of reason.

Edited by OverSword

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You're joking.  She want's to eliminate all the people that pollute or at least their "class" based on wealth, and I'm the one dealing in absolutes?  I back being greener and implementing more and more greener technologies as they become viable and I'm somehow saying we shouldn't try?  I think you are just disagreeing with me because I'm me and you have completely ignored anything I or Claudia Webbe have actually said.  She's a lunatic and I'm the voice of reason.

Who's holding us back from enacting change? Certainly isn't the poor folk. Who has to gain from keeping the status quo? I'm disagreeing because you attacked the author, not the logic. If you're afraid I'm stalking you, report me. It always boils down to fear doesn't it? 

What makes you the voice of reason, and not her? Money?

Edited by Hankenhunter
Clarity

1 minute ago, Hankenhunter said:

Who's holding us back from enacting change. Certainly isn't the poor folk. Who has to gain from keeping the status quo. I'm disagreeing because you attacked the author, not the logic. If you're afraid I'm stalking you, report me. It always boils down to fear doesn't it? 

WTF are you talking about stalking?  Who said keep us at the status quo?  I said implement better and greener tech as it's available.  You know what, if we suddenly stopped all the biggest sources of pollution the world would starve except for hunter gatherers.  as I said you're not even thinking you're just disagreeing out of reflex. 

30 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Pot calling kettle black? Your whole post reeks of bullying because you can't argue the logic.

Edited by Hankenhunter

I think you are just disagreeing with me because I'm me and you have completely ignored anything I or Claudia Webbe have actually said." 

You have too high of an opinion of your self.

Edited by Hankenhunter

14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

She's a lunatic and I'm the voice of reason.

Bwahahaha! Spoken like a true Libertarian, or Trump.

59 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Does this mean you agree with her tweet?

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Does this mean you agree with her tweet?

It means I agree with her logic, not who she is as a person. Again, who stands to gain by keeping the status quo? Who stands to lose? Pretty damn obvious, and clear to me. Follow the money. Do you really think we should sit back, and watch as more, and more portions of earth become inhabitable? I answered you. Now please answer me. With logic.

Edited by Hankenhunter

3 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Oops. Double post.

Edited by Hankenhunter

5 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

It means I agree with her logic, not who she is as a person. Again, who stands to gain by keeping the status quo? Who stands to lose? Pretty damn obvious, and clear to me. Follow the money.

Rich people are also the ones who are going to make money off of clean energy.

You can see it all already. All the car companies making electric cars and getting ready to switch to all electric.

All the power companies opening clean energy departments.

My city voted to go 100% green last year. AEP got the contract to do it. They are building solar and wind plants. 

I think her logic of pinning all bad things on the rich is not accurate or effective really. Abolishing and/or killing them certainly wouldn't do anything or solve overpopulation lol.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Rich people are also the ones who are going to make money off of clean energy.

You can see it all already. All the car companies making electric cars and getting ready to switch to all electric.

All the power companies opening clean energy departments.

My city voted to go 100% green last year. AEP got the contract to do it. They are building solar and wind plants. 

I think her logic of pinning all bad things on the rich is not accurate or effective really.

Finally someone's thinking. But, to make it more truthful, I'm going to add "some" to the very beginning of your post. Also, the "some" rich people are in a huge minority.  Judging by all the denigrating of anything "clean energy" by the right, I hit the nail on the head.

Remember this little gem? " Windmills cause cancer" Donald Trump.

Edited by Hankenhunter