Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mandela effect discussion

the13bats

Since several of us totally derailed and butchered an unrelated thread with our bantering about MD effect i felt it right to make a thread for it and stop the highjacking.

ME is about memory false memories and how to some it must be far more epic, paranormal etc.

So if you want to keep talking about it lets out of respect do it here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's an interesting thing, isn't it... 

I think much of it is just the psychological bond we seek with others; a 'hive mentality'. Even those of us who consider ourselves independent thinkers can be susceptible, I've noticed. Hell I thought Mandela died, too, actually lol

Cool discussion, I'll play

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Since several of us totally derailed and butchered an unrelated thread with our bantering about MD effect i felt it right to make a thread for it and stop the highjacking.

ME is about memory false memories and how to some it must be far more epic, paranormal etc.

Thank you, I feel so bad when I help derail a thread but can't help being  suckered in at times.  I need to make more of an effort not too :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

It's an interesting thing, isn't it... 

I think much of it is just the psychological bond we seek with others; a 'hive mentality'. Even those of us who consider ourselves independent thinkers can be susceptible, I've noticed. Hell I thought Mandela died, too, actually lol

Cool discussion, I'll play

You thought he died in prison?

• Like 1

Just now, HandsomeGorilla said:

Yes

Oh, may I ask why?  

11 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

Thank you, I feel so bad when I help derail a thread but can't help being  suckered in at times.  I need to make more of an effort not too :(

Its no big deal its how forums roll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Gets Bats I saw that thread, and like you said it totally derailed that thread. But, I your idea to start a separate thread in a very one and hopefully it will prevent the same thing from happening in the future.

Bats here are two Peer Reviewed Papers on the subject, one Pro and one Con. They go  into detail and explain the effect scientificly and from a believers point of view they could be used as a basis for discussion so that there is common ground to help get the discussion started if you choose use them my friend.:)

Here are some paragraphs from a paper, discussing the Mandela Effect from a Scientific view point ( Con ), and the link to the paper:  https://correspondencesjournal.com/ojs/ojs/index.php/home/article/viewFile/70/69

The Mandela Effect and New Memory 

Abstract

This paper looks at a recent phenomenon on the Internet referred to as the Mandela Effect, which states that small details from the past have been changed, altered, and edited to create a parallel universe. The reasons for the Mandela Effect becoming such a popular conspiracy theory and Internet meme shed light on our contemporary technoscience culture and the influence of advanced information technology on human cognition, memory, and belief. This phenomenon involves aspects familiar to esotericism, since both conspiracy theories and esoteric knowledge cohabit the same marginalized cultural space, sometimes referred to as the “cultic milieu.” In fact, the Mandela Effect signals a possible transformation of this space. The recent ideas from tech author and founding editor of Wired magazine, Kevin Kelly, as well as memory research by experimental psychologist Endel Tulving, illustrate potential factors behind conspiratorial creations and the reshaping of underground culture. This article seeks to bring the Mandela Effect to the attention of scholars by highlighting the web of relationships embedded in the phenomenon, as well as the implications for historical consciousness and the construction of conspiratorial worldviews. 

The Mandela effect, Déjà vu and possible interactions with the parallel world ( Pro ) :https://files.osf.io/v1/resources/gjtfk/providers/osfstorage/5e76288b4a60a505eabb451b?format=pdf&action=download&direct&version=1

Abstract

This paper will emphasize the objective reality through a set of related given phenomena like the most famous Mandela effect and its relation with false memory, confabulation and parallel happenings of day to day world like the Déjà Vu and its mathematical structures which will solely focus on the “Parallel World” or the many world scenario as predicted by the String Theory in the form of Multiverse or Multiple Universe through the perspective of physical reality. The mathematical structure has been formed using Topology and Differential Calculus which will interprets the Physics and Philosophy of this type of Happenings. The possible outcome of these phenomena has been discussed thoroughly using logics & mathematics which will insight into a far more in-depth concept by taking us in exploring the 2- Time Dimensions [1] [2] (Instead of 1) in this universe and the related outcome or consequences of this more than 1 Time Dimensions. Moreover, this paper aims to provide the repetition or Looping of Timelines in a 2D Minkowski lightcone with the help of induced mathematics (exponential wavefunctions) which results in the occurring of same event in a synchronic pattern as predicted by different fiction stories along with a desired property which will pave the way to prove that, ‘N” past timelines are connected with “N+1+1......” future timelines and it is the law of nature to select the appropriate future timelines related to the past timelines in which the past timelines will be attached to those future ones which have the least degrees of errors in the “exponential wavefunctions” introduced in this paper. After completing this, we will go to a further analysis of the ‘self inflicting timelines and the death loops, which has been a source of major Sci-Fi motion pictures and we will mathematically prove the minimal and the maximal amount of “time loops’ in our 4-Dimensional world. 

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

Should I just copy/paste all my normal responses about the mandela effect here? I'm pretty sure I could track a few of them down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

In the case of Mandela dying i admit i have pretty much no memory of it i didnt follow politics much less other countries.

I am a bit detailed brained, things like ed McMahon working for PCH was never a memory for me, in fact i would get annoyed when shows like that letterman one would hodge podge things.

In another thread papa is sure richard simmons worn a headband scarf etc, while i never saw more than a minute here minute there of the man my brain kicked in he had a thin afro type hairdoo and a pronounced forehead it reminded me of billy crystal or adam ants head and hair, so i never remember simmons wearing a head band.

I dont so much find the concept of flawed false memory anything epic but i do find it a bit intriguing some people refuse that explanation insisting ME is something bigger.

I have my false memory that i even made a thread about where i believe i saw a scene in the movie Jaws that isnt there, it could have been right up to the point of Spielberg saying there is an edit there, but without seeing that scene again myself i write it off as false, it doesnt help that i found a forum where others recall the scene too, each a bit differently.

The one thing i dont think it is would be proof of a tangent universe.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

Oh, may I ask why?  

Honestly, I have no idea

If I knew the answer to that, I suppose the Mandela effect wouldn't be a thing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Honestly, I have no idea

If I knew the answer to that, I suppose the Mandela effect wouldn't be a thing

The 1995 Rugby World Cup from memory.

The Wallabies lost to the Springboks in one of the pool games.  I think Joe Roff scored in this game.

It was known as Lomu's cup.  There's the lasting image of Lomu running over the English fullback to score.  That fullback, whose name escapes me, played in the winning 2003 World Cup side.

The Wallabies were knocked in the Quarter Final by England.  Rory Underwood scored the first try.  I think he received a pass from one of Princess Diana's lovers and English captain, who's name escapes me.

The All-Blacks were sick, with suspected food poisoning, the night before the final.  The Springboks ended up winning.  Nelson Mandela was on stage when The William Webb Ellis Cup was presented to Springboks Captain Francois Pienaar.

• Like 4

I remember the “Australia Cut” of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of rhe Lost Ark... I always associate it with an “offie” (an off air recording) we made in the 90s off of Channel 7 (we edited most of the ad breaks, but still, kept some of the ad stings (and some of the ads) - so I still expect the Raiders Fanfare at certain points throughout the film, the points where there were ad breaks). 
Anyway, I still expect to see the Ark burning away the writing in the box at the end after the “top. Men” scene. 
I’m fairly certain I remembered this before I heard of rhe ME about it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

The Mandela effect, Déjà vu and possible interactions with the parallel world ( Pro ) :https://files.osf.io/v1/resources/gjtfk/providers/osfstorage/5e76288b4a60a505eabb451b?format=pdf&action=download&direct&version=1

I have to wonder if this 'Pro' paper didn't just plagiarize some of Papa's past posts. This is what I've been trying to tell to @the13bats for awhile now:

. Moreover, this paper aims to provide the repetition or Looping of Timelines in a 2D Minkowski lightcone with the help of induced mathematics (exponential wavefunctions) which results in the occurring of same event in a synchronic pattern as predicted by different fiction stories along with a desired property which will pave the way to prove that, ‘N” past timelines are connected with “N+1+1……” future timelines and it is the law of nature to select the appropriate future timelines related to the past timelines in which the past timelines will be attached to those future ones which have the least degrees of errors in the “exponential wavefunctions” introduced in this paper.

This just reads like it was ripped from one of my better posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well the Mandela Effect (ME) is indeed a pet subject of mine. I am a believer at 96% that the Mandela Effect involves elements that contradict our straightforward understanding of how reality works. I've encountered too many examples and testimonies and personal experiences than can ever fit into one post. Thousands of inputs have gone into my consideration including of course the arguments of the vehement skeptics.

Here is the original website for the Mandela Effect

This subject is exhausting. There are proper name ME, geographic MEs, Bible MEs, flip/flop MEs and much more. I'm open to questions. 

Edited by papageorge1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I have to wonder if this 'Pro' paper didn't just plagiarize some of Papa's past posts. This is what I've been trying to tell to @the13bats for awhile now:

. Moreover, this paper aims to provide the repetition or Looping of Timelines in a 2D Minkowski lightcone with the help of induced mathematics (exponential wavefunctions) which results in the occurring of same event in a synchronic pattern as predicted by different fiction stories along with a desired property which will pave the way to prove that, ‘N” past timelines are connected with “N+1+1……” future timelines and it is the law of nature to select the appropriate future timelines related to the past timelines in which the past timelines will be attached to those future ones which have the least degrees of errors in the “exponential wavefunctions” introduced in this paper.

And like your posts it was theory and opinion, nothing more

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Well the Mandela Effect (ME) is indeed a pet subject of mine. I am a believer at 96% that the Mandela Effect involves elements that contradict our straightforward understanding of how reality works. I've encountered too many examples and testimonies and personal experiences than can ever fit into one post. Thousands of inputs have gone into my consideration including of course the arguments of the vehement skeptics.

Here is the original website for the Mandela Effect

This subject is exhausting. There are proper name ME, geographic MEs, Bible MEs, flip/flop MEs and much more. I'm open to questions. 

Papa, theres more out there to support flat earth...oh wait do you support flat earth too?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Papa, theres more out there to support flat earth...oh wait do you support flat earth too?

Seen nothing convincing on flat earth, bats. Down at 0%. Mandela Effect’s at 96%. Quite the difference.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Seen nothing convincing on flat earth, bats. Down at 0%. Mandela Effect’s at 96%. Quite the difference.

I guess in a way i surprised, i swear i dont mean it as a poke but i would have thought you believed in flat earth.

i am just way askew really bad time all week has really sucked out loud, so allow me to clarify i never said multiverses do not exist they very well might im saying i do not see what we are calling ME proof of that or anything past false flawed memory.

I went back looked at lists of of ME examples perhaps my issue is odd in of itself, i did it as a test, it didnt say which way was correct you know like pick "kit-kat" or "kitkat" i could pick correct each time with the exception of something i didnt know or recall either way i started wracking my brain to come up with a ME that eats at me like they do you and i cant.

Even that missing scene in jaws im more perplexed that i cant find a definitive answer either way more than rhe way i recall it didnt happen.

Lets go back to where we started this EM working for PCH which he didnt and none of the smoking guns i saw so far trying to prove something show EM and PCH together with the exceptions of photoshopped fakes, i even took a good look at the envelope in fletch and no where is PCH nor does fletch say PCH he only says EM.

I fully understand why people in memory would team PCH with EM both were big no one much heard of American family publishing that EM did work for now had EM not worked for AFP or any sweepstakes company then it would make this false memory odd, it would be like mikey mouse working for PCH.

So you believe ME proves tangent universes lets say it does now what?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Well to be honest, I doubt that is even possible unless your saying that the name listed as the author is actually your name Papa is that waht you telling me?

Papa there are two paper one that is positive that you seem to like and another that is against everyone you believe in. I listed both because I thought just supporting one side would be very unfair.:yes:

So i guess the real question is, do you find the at least one fo the papers useful?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, the13bats said:

Lets go back to where we started this EM working for PCH which he didnt and none of the smoking guns i saw so far trying to prove something show EM and PCH together with the exceptions of photoshopped fakes, i even took a good look at the envelope in fletch and no where is PCH nor does fletch say PCH he only says EM.

I fully understand why people in memory would team PCH with EM both were big no one much heard of American family publishing that EM did work for now had EM not worked for AFP or any sweepstakes company then it would make this false memory odd, it would be like mikey mouse working for PCH.

The EM goes further than the even the name of the company. In this reality EM never surprised winners at their doorway with GIANT sized winning checks. Sweepstake company aside. For us middle-aged people and upwards this was a well-known cultural phenomena that was just generally known.

10 hours ago, the13bats said:

So you believe ME proves tangent universes lets say it does now what?

I believe the Mandela Effect can not be satisfactorily explained in our straightforward understanding of reality but the tangent universe thing is speculation over my head. I don't know HOW the Mandela Effect occurs but I believe it does. My leading theory is that a benign/helpful super-physical intelligence is giving those who are ready some real world in-your-face examples that reality is not this hard-fixed thing we assume it to be. And this is being sensitively done with somewhat trivial things only to allow those who are not ready for revolutionary change to completely dismiss the whole phenomena. We still need a base consensus reality for society to function. A few trivial pokes at reality is not going to be allowed to upset that.

Edited by papageorge1

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well to be honest, I doubt that is even possible unless your saying that the name listed as the author is actually your name Papa is that waht you telling me?

Papa there are two paper one that is positive that you seem to like and another that is against everyone you believe in. I listed both because I thought just supporting one side would be very unfair.:yes:

So i guess the real question is, do you find the at least one fo the papers useful?

As can happen on forums you may have taken seriously something I was only making humor over. That passage I quoted was way over my head and couldn't possibly have been written by me nor understood by me or bats. I was joking that I was at that level of mathematical sophistication on the Mandela Effect. I'm not. That was all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The EM goes further than the even the name of the company. In this reality EM never surprised winners at their doorway with GIANT sized winning checks. Sweepstake company aside. For us middle-aged people and upwards this was a well-known cultural phenomena that was just generally known

It was a fairly well known cultural event that was mixed up in memory by aging people.

Youre reaching, its not like you sre claiming someone unrelated to sweepstakes worked for PCH but didnt,  its an expected mix up of a sweepstakes spokesmen, and no shock EM and the fellow from PCH do resemble.

OIP.1-5xmy0f3TlDE9sJIxvTnAHaFj?w=193&h=1

Its not like you recall mikey mouse as working for PCH I dont see it being a case of going further as EM did work for a lesser know company AFP who did give out sweepstakes.

EM was in their t.v. ads deliberately aired when PCH aired their ads. Its no reach to accept it got way mixed up in peoples memories, stuff like this didnt help,

big+ed.jpg

ED handing out a big check but its for a state lotto neither his company AFP or PCH.

So i want you to toss 2cents at my next question, when this all first started as i posted i didnt hop on the net to fact check myself until after i posted what i recalled and if one goes back to my post in the other thread you can see that.

I recalled two different sweapskates companies both being publishers and EM not working for PCH but rather the less known outfit, and i didnt post it then but do recall him doing state lotto checks as i wondered how it effected his contract with APH.

So tell me papa why do i like others remember it correctly, EM never worked for PCH me being a skeptic wouldnt apply here please give me the papa rundown why my memory on this is correct.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, the13bats said:

So tell me papa why do i like others remember it correctly, EM never worked for PCH me being a skeptic wouldnt apply here please give me the papa rundown why my memory on this is correct.

The Mandela Effect allows for different people to have different experiences. Some people experienced hearing about Nelson Mandela dying in the 1980's and others didn't (I didn't for example). I, a million others and Johnny Carson remember EM surprising publishing sweepstakes winners at their doors with giant checks. Even if we got the PCH name wrong (which I doubt we got wrong) the never surprising winners with a giant check from a publishing company was still experienced by us. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe the Mandela Effect can not be satisfactorily explained in our straightforward understanding of reality but the tangent universe thing is speculation over my head. I don't know HOW the Mandela Effect occurs but I believe it does. My leading theory is that a benign/helpful super-physical intelligence is giving those who are ready some real world in-your-face examples that reality is not this hard-fixed thing we assume it to be. And this is being sensitively done with somewhat trivial things only to allow those who are not ready for revolutionary change to completely dismiss the whole phenomena. We still need a base consensus reality for society to function. A few trivial pokes at reality is not going to be allowed to upset that.

Come on papa you dont need to resort to that malarkey.

thats like saying "i dont know why but i know Santa Claus and the Easter bunny are real, and you know this because a superior being has selected you the chosen one to see the highly questionable vauge clues.

While us unenlighted ones just arent ready to see the light that EM had a job with the better sweapskates company in a tangent universe.

Its critically flawed, you cant make up unproven opinions to try to support other unproven claims it doesnt wash and in this case if and thats a hugh qualifying "if" tangent universe beings caused ME then they would know papa is a true believer and could give him enough ammo to prove hes not just so ego driven he cant admit ME is actually just his faulty memory.

• Thanks 1