Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mandela effect discussion

the13bats

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

I wasnt being mean when i suggested that but i think he was so wrapped up with the whole thing has to be more epic it cant be his poor memory far more logical its a tangent universe creeping in,

Did you note he made the claim in that story he was on the debunking side of ME/faulty until he ses this himself and had no choice but to believe,

seems a lot of true believers point at some little highly questionable unproven story as what made them go from skeptic to believer in a wink.

It's just belief perseverance. People who adopt a particular model of reality see things through that lens. It's how two different people can experience the same thing, one labels it a miracle (god did it) and the other luck (chance). It's how a ufo believer (insert any particular belief) will seek out information that confirms what they believe is true. This goes for ME as well. Well, technically speaking it goes for damn near everything. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

OK, bad try. There’s no controversy in the least about fil-a. Your irked comment with the Chik called out makes no sense in context. Except if you were Mandela effected and thought it was Chik in this reality. Ohhhh

So you arent better than that, okay.

It does make sense in this context, where you got confused was you assumed and jumped that "chik" is a cutesy spelling of "chick" but in this context i was talking about the restaurant "Chick-fil-a" not the one word, "chik".

like if i post "Mickey" in context to theme parks most know i was too lazy to type out "mouse" and if it was typed "mikey mouse" and i said yeah, stupid in hast typo most wouldnt attack it like you are, typos are real, not proof of a tangent universe.

44 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I said "chic" too lazy to spell out the weird cutesy full spelling "chick-fil-a"

Now you are just trolling to trigger i cant blame you as you do fail a lot, but i have wasted too much time explaining to you what falls in with typo not ME or even poor memory.

29 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

It's just belief perseverance. People who adopt a particular model of reality see things through that lens. It's how two different people can experience the same thing, one labels it a miracle (god did it) and the other luck (chance). It's how a ufo believer (insert any particular belief) will seek out information that confirms what they believe is true. This goes for ME as well. Well, technically speaking it goes for damn near everything. 

I guess if i find anything really odd it starts with renaming faulty memory "mandela effect" to sound cooler, a paranormal researcher trying to prove her theories coined the name so i guess that explains that.

Since this discussion started the other day I've been hunting any false memory i have that is also a popular "mandela effect" example and i dont have any,

I have examples where i didnt lean either way i just didnt know one way or the other like kit-kat" i hadnt a clue if it was that or "kitkat" or "kit kat"

i dont have anything like papa all beating fists certain EM worked for PCH and went to peoples doors with big checks, i even find it hard to accept he sees it that askew way that evidence doesnt support.

• Like 2

The only mandela effects i can think of are all ones that have been mentioned,and they are all ones that i never really paid attention to.

I used to think Gibraltar was an island,i thought new zealand was in a different position related to australia,but as I don't live near either or learned otherwise i just made an assumption and was wrong.

As for loony toons, it's how most people assume it should be spelt,because its a cartoon.

I think because the brain only proceses a small amount of what we see or hear,it just fills in the gaps by putting to memory what we think is correct.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, diddyman68 said:

The only mandela effects i can think of are all ones that have been mentioned,and they are all ones that i never really paid attention to.

I used to think Gibraltar was an island,i thought new zealand was in a different position related to australia,but as I don't live near either or learned otherwise i just made an assumption and was wrong.

As for loony toons, it's how most people assume it should be spelt,because its a cartoon.

I think because the brain only proceses a small amount of what we see or hear,it just fills in the gaps by putting to memory what we think is correct.

Yes, I somewhat agreed with the New Zealand Mandela Effect but not with the level of certainty that I experienced the South America moving east Mandela Effect. On my childhood globes, I remember South America being more directly aligned under North America. No way was it as it is in the current consensus reality.

upload_2017-5-26_17-57-55.png

Growing up in Detroit, Michigan there is no way the entirety of South America was east of us. No way, Jose. We were aligned as in Map A. I am remembering globe to globe so there could have been no two-dimensional distortion explanation.

I read the story of a guy who did business in South America actually remembering that the time zone changes between locations were different than they are now for him (more than explainable by any one hour daylight saving time shifts).

This stuff happened to some of us.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Confused 1

I have read up a little on the Mandela Effect and from what I have read people are making a huge leap from inaccurate memory of events to well anything other. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes, I somewhat agreed with the New Zealand Mandela Effect but not with the level of certainty that I experienced the South America moving east Mandela Effect. On my childhood globes, I remember South America being more directly aligned under North America. No way was it as it is in the current consensus reality.

Growing up in Detroit, Michigan there is no way the entirety of South America was east of us. No way, Jose. We were aligned as in Map A. I am remembering globe to globe so there could have been no two-dimensional distortion explanation.

I read the story of a guy who did business in South America actually remembering that the time zone changes between locations were different than they are now for him (more than explainable by any one hour daylight saving time shifts).

Isn't it possible that.....maps were just updated with new information? Or you had bad maps?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Isn't it possible that.....maps were just updated with new information? Or you had bad maps?

Globes have not changed in my lifetime. To confound the mystery further old globes have flipped to the current consensus reality version.

Edit: For residue on this I have seen cruder older renderings hold my old orientation. It’s like if it is crudely drawn it escaped the change. 

If this makes no sense in our straightforward understanding of reality then you are understanding what I am saying.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

There is a 2D for globes. Originally maps were printed on a rectangle of paper, then gores cut into the paper so the flat map could be fitted around the 3D globe. Distortions could be on the 2D paper map, miscutting of gores, or from fitting it to the globe. More modern globes that are made out 2 pieces of plastic have their maps printed as N&S hemispheres. The maps are purposefully printed in distortion in their 2d form on a disk so that when the machine blows the disk into half a hemisphere, the map should appear correctly. 

My memory from childhood is of map B from maps and globes. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, rashore said:

There is a 2D for globes. Originally maps were printed on a rectangle of paper, then gores cut into the paper so the flat map could be fitted around the 3D globe. Distortions could be on the 2D paper map, miscutting of gores, or from fitting it to the globe. More modern globes that are made out 2 pieces of plastic have their maps printed as N&S hemispheres. The maps are purposefully printed in distortion in their 2d form on a disk so that when the machine blows the disk into half a hemisphere, the map should appear correctly. 

My memory from childhood is of map B from maps and globes. 

Well I don’t think it can be explained that easily. We are talking about drastic not slight changes. Remember I said that old globes now show the current consensus reality. Baffling to me.

Food for thought. I think my orientations are going to be correct in many millions of years from projections I have seen. Why did I see that as a child??? An Unexplained Mystery!

I saw the ‘A’ version on my childhood globe. 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Well I don’t think it can be explained that easily. We are talking about drastic not slight changes. Remember I said that old globes now show the current consensus reality. Baffling to me.

I get it, you remember it differently than I. For you the maps have changed, for me they have not changed.  

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Food for thought. I think my oreientations are going to be correct in many millions of years. Why did I see that as a child??? An Unexplained Mystery!

I saw the ‘A’ version on my childhood globe. I’m 

Is this just your way of saying "I'm right, you're wrong."? Because that's exactly what it looks like.

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Food for thought. I think my oreientations are going to be correct in many millions of years. Why did I see that as a child??? An Unexplained Mystery!

I saw the ‘A’ version on my childhood globe. I’m 

How many globes are we talking about?  Did you see one globe show it differently or many?  

• Like 1

Starting with a mental picture of where the continents "should" be then looking at an actual map, to me Africa jutting out past Europe to the west just looks wrong, I thought it would be more to the south. It's NOT wrong and it's always been that way, but starting with a vague mental picture of something then looking at the real thing causes these kinds of issues. Nobody has a digital recorder in their head, skewing happens. Memory is not perfect. Now, if you asked someone who sails those waters regularly or makes maps for a living, I'm sure there is no confusion on their part. They know what is due N/E/S/W, but other people who do nothing but look at maps on occasion are not experts. Really, how often do you seriously study a globe?

Add to the fact that as soon as you mention one of these odd fuzzy ideas to other people, they start to misremember as well just by suggestion. "Mandela effect" is a load of bunk.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, rashore said:

I get it, you remember it differently than I. For you the maps have changed, for me they have not changed.  

Nice that you get that we disagree without you telling me I'm wrong. That's good commenting style. It can sometimes even end in amicable disagreement. What a rare thing.

I don't know if you caught my additions to that post:

Food for thought. I think my orientations are going to be correct in many millions of years from projections I have seen. Why did I see that as a child??? An Unexplained Mystery!

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

How many globes are we talking about?  Did you see one globe show it differently or many?  

All globes where 'A' version when I was growing up into adulthood. All globes are now 'B' version (even those old globes flipped). That is what I am saying.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Is this just your way of saying "I'm right, you're wrong."? Because that's exactly what it looks like.

Nothing wrong with amicably disagreeing with the 2D to 3D theory, Xeno. 

30 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Nice that you get that we disagree without you telling me I'm wrong. That's good commenting style. It can sometimes even end in amicable disagreement. What a rare thing.

I don't know if you caught my additions to that post:

Yeah, amicable, we just remember differently. 

Part of remembering for me was my dad. He was into cartography and taught it to me as a kid. Then he went on an expedition to Antartica and I followed the maps through the days as he went from Wisconsin down the Mississippi to Louisiana, then through the gulf and the East side of the Yucatan, crossing Panama canal then down the West coast of South America before going down to the ice. 

• Like 3

Alright!!!    Onward to Biblical Mandela Effects

Even the Bible has changed from many of our memories in this current consensus reality.

The first example that comes to mind is the phrase 'for the lion shall lie down with the lamb'

Well pull out your Bible. There is no 'lion lying with a lamb' anymore????

Isaiah 65:25 25The wolf and the lamb will feed together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox, and dust will be the serpent's food. 

You will not hear about a lion lying down with the lamb in the entire current consensus reality Bible. Just WHAT? Even look at other versions too. What?

The residue for this one is quite extensive.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Alright!!!    Onward to Biblical Mandela Effects

Even the Bible has changed from many of our memories in this current consensus reality.

The first example that comes to mind is the phrase 'for the lion shall lie down with the lamb'

Well pull out your Bible. There is no 'lion lying with a lamb' anymore????

Isaiah 65:25 25The wolf and the lamb will feed together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox, and dust will be the serpent's food. 

You will not hear about a lion lying down with the lamb in the entire current consensus reality Bible. Just WHAT? Even look at other versions too. What?

The residue for this one is quite extensive.

This is the first I've ever heard that phrase anywhere....I guess you're more special than me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Or you're just conflating it with Isaiah 11 : 6.

Isaiah 11:6

King James Version

The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

All these Mandela Effects you are talking about are only showing that you have a bad memory. Just like everyone else when it comes to trivial knowledge.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Or you're just conflating it with Isaiah 11 : 6.

Isaiah 11:6

King James Version

The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

All these Mandela Effects you are talking about are only showing that you have a bad memory. Just like everyone else when it comes to trivial knowledge.

The residue on this Mandela Effect is voluminous and impressive to say the least. Let's watch Jeopardy which takes itself quite seriously 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lion+shall+lie+down+with+the+lamb+mandela+effect&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dlion%2bshall%2blie%2bdown%2bwith%2bthe%2blamb%2bmandela%2beffect%26FORM%3dHDRSC1&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=C77E5E0E89139C4AB9A2C77E5E0E89139C4AB9A2&FORM=WRVORC

(Jump to 1:10) 

No, I am not calling it proof that this proverb came verbatim from the Bible but Isaiah 11:6 is the likely source.

Edited by papageorge1

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Neither of those two maps accurately show the Americas.

Think about the circumference of the equator then ask why the extreme north and south on both maps have the same circumference? To produce flat maps they shrink the middle and expand the top. You would be better looking at a globe.

Various types of map styles exist, all mapping out the Earth differently, and you probably just saw one of the alternatives when younger. That isn`t to dismiss the Mandela Effect because I think it exists, is real, is to do with extra dimensions, but I dont think your example is one of them.

When I was a teen-ager I remember turning on Sky News to find Michael J Fox (Back to the Future actor) had died.

I was disappointed as I liked his films. I even watched his funeral. Then about 10 years ago I watched a news story about him again and how we was suffering from dementia. Confusing, and I`m of sound mind.