Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mandela effect discussion

the13bats

1 minute ago, Cookie Monster said:

Neither of those two maps accurately show the Americas.

Think about the circumference of the equator then ask why the extreme north and south on both maps have the same circumference? To produce flat maps they shrink the middle and expand the top. You would be better looking at a globe.

Various types of map styles exist, all mapping out the Earth differently, and you probably just saw one of the alternatives when younger. That isn`t to dismiss the Mandela Effect because I think it exists, is real, is to do with extra dimensions, but I dont think your example is one of them.

I am talking globe to globe. The best I could do was paste these maps. I don't have a way I know of to post a 3D globe. This is just a best effort.

So far you and I are the only ones that vote for the Mandela Effect being beyond normal memory error.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The residue on this Mandela Effect is voluminous and impressive to say the least. Let's watch Jeopardy which takes itself quite seriously

They made a mistake. Simple as that. They may take themselves seriously, but that doesn't mean they are infallible.

https://www.audacy.com/music/television/fans-argue-final-jeopardy-answer-was-wrong

https://theintercept.com/2020/01/13/jeopardy-contestant-asked-palestine-game-show-gave-wrong-answer/

So now are you going to claim that these are also just Mandela effects?

Here's 15 times a quiz show has messed up with wrong answers :

https://www.betteryoumag.com/story/living/tv-quiz-shows-writers-wrong-answers/

• Like 2

When I was 15 I came downstairs on a Saturday morning in December and my parents said they were going to do the Xmas present shopping. They asked me what I wanted and I said a PlayStation 2.

A few hours later they returned, I was sat in the living room and the boxed PlayStation 2 was on the chair waiting to be wrapped. I looked at the box, looked at the games it said were inside, and told them thats exactly what I wanted. They wrapped it, and it went upstairs into the box room until Christmas Day.

Christmas day game, I got up, went downstairs, and was stunned to find my big present was a mountain bike. There was no PlayStation 2. That left me deeply confused asking myself if I had imagined it, wondering if they had broken it and got me a bike instead, or if they were winding me up. I didnt say anything. For a couple of days afterwards I was scratching my head over what had just happened.

I was out shopping 10 years later and looked through the front window of HMV. The PlayStation 2 had just been released and they were in the display. At that point I remember the experience I had when a kid. Then it dawned upon me. Not only didn`t PlayStation 2s exist back then but there were no PlayStation 1s either. In fact there was no possible way I could have had a mental concept of a PlayStation yet had asked for one, watched my parents bring one home and wrap it, and looked at the box before they did.

The boxed PlayStation 2 I looked at in my living room was identical to the one in the HMV window including the design of the box, the games inside, everything. To this day I dont know what the hell happened.

• Like 1

I personally think the Mandela Effect is caused by our deaths.

One future you get run over by a car snubbing you out before you time. Something up above then closes off that path to you as it doesnt want you dying too soon. And in order to complete that changes need to be made.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Here’s another geographical that I’ve known about that shook some people up on another forum. 

Australia used to be way out there by itself in the middle of nowhere. Now, it’s practically scrunched in with Southeast Asia.

I predict our Australian members will remember it always being like this. Many of the rest us will think what the heck!

• Confused 1

On 4/15/2021 at 1:23 PM, TashaMarie said:

How many globes are we talking about?  Did you see one globe show it differently or many?  

Good question.

On 4/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, papageorge1 said:

All globes where 'A' version when I was growing up into adulthood. All globes are now 'B' version (even those old globes flipped). That is what I am saying.

"All" isnt really a number now is it?

Do you have even one of the "A" globes from your younger days or just your memory to support your claim?

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2021 at 3:06 PM, Cookie Monster said:

I didnt say anything. For a couple of days afterwards

So when you did ask your folks what did they say?

8 hours ago, the13bats said:

Good question.

"All" isnt really a number now is it?

Do you have even one of the "A" globes from your younger days or just your memory to support your claim?

Your question implies a misunderstanding of what the Mandela Effect is saying. All old globes (and one I even still have) now show the 'B' version.

If that doesn't make sense in our straightforward understanding of reality, then welcome to the Mandela Effect claims. I believe this happened in my experience but I can not explain it.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:47 PM, papageorge1 said:

Well the Mandela Effect (ME) is indeed a pet subject of mine. I am a believer at 96% that the Mandela Effect involves elements that contradict our straightforward understanding of how reality works. I've encountered too many examples and testimonies and personal experiences than can ever fit into one post. Thousands of inputs have gone into my consideration including of course the arguments of the vehement skeptics.

Here is the original website for the Mandela Effect

This subject is exhausting. There are proper name ME, geographic MEs, Bible MEs, flip/flop MEs and much more. I'm open to questions. 

It would be a lot more compelling if these anecdotes came from people who can accurately remember what they ate and what the weather was like and who they met (confirmed by diaries) on a random date many years in the past rather than from beings who keep losing their car keys ten minutes after they set them down somewhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

It would be a lot more compelling if these anecdotes came from people who can accurately remember what they ate and what the weather was like and who they met (confirmed by diaries) on a random date many years in the past rather than from beings who keep losing their car keys ten minutes after they set them down somewhere.

I use the Mickey Mouse changing to Mikey  Mouse example. We’d know ‘no way’ even if we forgot breakfast.

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I use the Mickey Mouse changing to Mikey  Mouse example. We’d know ‘no way’ even if we forgot breakfast.

It'd be more convincing if the people with this example could prove that they had flawless memories and were superb proof readers and never made spelling mistakes.

I'm actually a proof reader for several writers and I can assure you that I do occasionally miss things like the writer spelling a character's name in two different ways.

• Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

It'd be more convincing if the people with this example could prove that they had flawless memories and were superb proof readers and never made spelling mistakes.

You’re asking for the impossible and all we have is our individual best judgment. 

My experience and the cumulative weight of others’ experiences has me believing something outside the normal is occurring. Some of these approach the Mickey Mouse level for me.

There's never been a cornucopia in the Fruit of the Loom logo??  Come on someone give me an 'Amen' to my 'no way'..

If no one's memory is perfect, I feel mine is certainly good enough to call this one out.

Edited by papageorge1

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Your question implies a misunderstanding of what the Mandela Effect is saying. All old globes (and one I even still have) now show the 'B' version.

If that doesn't make sense in our straightforward understanding of reality, then welcome to the Mandela Effect claims. I believe this happened in my experience but I can not explain it.

No, i fully understand that "madela effect" is a more mystical sounding name for simple false memory made up by a paranormal investagator trying to sell her theory.

my question about do you have an "A" globe was basically rhetorical you already avoided stating a # how many globes were "A" in your memory.

so likely you do not remember and since the globe you still have is "B" logic is overwhelming that this is another example of papas flawed memory.

You refusal to accept that so you try to make it some unproven paranormal explanation which you cant explain yourself rather than admit your memory is flawwd and played a trick on you.

I assure you i do understand this.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

You’re asking for the impossible and all we have is our individual best judgment. 

My experience and the cumulative weight of others’ experiences has me believing something outside the normal is occurring. Some of these approach the Mickey Mouse level for me.

What I'm suggesting is that nobody's memory is perfect.

That everyone's taken spelling tests and were just SURE they've spelled things correctly and didn't remember correctly.  That people forget or misassociate names and faces ... and it's not that they fell into another dimension when they called someone "Julie" instead of "Judy" or that when they insist the pyramids are older than Stonehenge that they simply didn't  verify the information or that they never actually knew/read it... they're just going on about something they have an impression about.

When we find on doublechecking that our facts were in error, this means our brain didn't record the information correctly; not that the Universe is constantly changing around us so that the person we're sitting next to is somehow inexplicably an entirely new person every few seconds (which is implied by all the "mandela effect" situations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

That everyone's taken spelling tests and were just SURE they've spelled things correctly and didn't remember correctly.  That people forget or misassociate names and faces ... and it's not that they fell into another dimension when they called someone "Julie" instead of "Judy" or that when they insist the pyramids are older than Stonehenge that they simply didn't  verify the information or that they never actually knew/read it... they're just going on about something they have an impression about.

When we find on doublechecking that our facts were in error, this means our brain didn't record the information correctly; not that the Universe is constantly changing around us so that the person we're sitting next to is somehow inexplicably an entirely new person every few seconds (which is implied by all the "mandela effect" situations.

You might allow for there to be two classes of memory error going on. The normal one we all understand and a mysterious one that involves correct memories that don’t match current consensus reality.

From certain examples I believe the latter class does exist. It is a judgment call on the data and not solvable by debate. 

I saw the the Frui of the Loom logo with the cornucopia as one example of the latter type.

Edited by papageorge1

17 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Let me also add that with memory we have a surety level. When my memory is wrong I also have a sense of how likely it is that  I could be wrong. All memories are not of equal surety.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:53 PM, papageorge1 said:

So far you and I are the only ones that vote for the Mandela Effect being beyond normal memory error.

And that is because of how confident you are about it, that is how you are telling the difference?  Just curious, when do you estimate that reality changed concerning the globes, when was the last time you saw a globe with SA right underneath NA?

So far what is interesting about all the examples is how explainable the error is, in many you can see why the confusion occurred.  "The lion will lay down with the lamb" is a phrase that has been said a lot in this reality, it is shorthand for a longer set of verses in Isaiah; finding out that it's not exactly found like that in the Bible is like finding out 'separation of church and state' isn't in the US Constitution, it's just a confusion between an assumption and a memory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 4/15/2021 at 3:06 PM, Cookie Monster said:

When I was 15 I came downstairs on a Saturday morning in December and my parents said they were going to do the Xmas present shopping. They asked me what I wanted and I said a PlayStation 2.

A few hours later they returned, I was sat in the living room and the boxed PlayStation 2 was on the chair waiting to be wrapped. I looked at the box, looked at the games it said were inside, and told them thats exactly what I wanted. They wrapped it, and it went upstairs into the box room until Christmas Day.

Christmas day game, I got up, went downstairs, and was stunned to find my big present was a mountain bike. There was no PlayStation 2. That left me deeply confused asking myself if I had imagined it, wondering if they had broken it and got me a bike instead, or if they were winding me up. I didnt say anything. For a couple of days afterwards I was scratching my head over what had just happened.

I was out shopping 10 years later and looked through the front window of HMV. The PlayStation 2 had just been released and they were in the display. At that point I remember the experience I had when a kid. Then it dawned upon me. Not only didn`t PlayStation 2s exist back then but there were no PlayStation 1s either. In fact there was no possible way I could have had a mental concept of a PlayStation yet had asked for one, watched my parents bring one home and wrap it, and looked at the box before they did.

The boxed PlayStation 2 I looked at in my living room was identical to the one in the HMV window including the design of the box, the games inside, everything. To this day I dont know what the hell happened.

What happened was you've confused multiple stories as being one combined story taking place over multiple years of your young life. No future you died causing the universe to push back the release date of the PS2 by 10 years....

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

And that is because of how confident you are about it, that is how you are telling the difference?  Just curious, when do you estimate that reality changed concerning the globes, when was the last time you saw a globe with SA right underneath NA?

So far what is interesting about all the examples is how explainable the error is, in many you can see why the confusion occurred.  "The lion will lay down with the lamb" is a phrase that has been said a lot in this reality, it is shorthand for a longer set of verses in Isaiah; finding out that it's not exactly found like that in the Bible is like finding out 'separation of church and state' isn't in the US Constitution, it's just a confusion between an assumption and a memory.

It's all a judgment call by each of us. To me the big question is 'are any of the examples genuinely outside of normal explanation?'.

Fruit of the Loom logo not having a cornucopia? Richard Simmons not wearing a headband? The Ed McMahon one? Berenstein Bears? Chic-fil-a? Etcetera.

I kind of agree with you that the Bible one is not all that convincing for reasons like you say though.

All in all my personal judgment is that this so-called Mandela Effect involves elements outside of our straightforward understanding of consensus reality. It is impossible to prove or disprove. The best we have is some quite suggestive residue.

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Let me also add that with memory we have a surety level. When my memory is wrong I also have a sense of how likely it is that  I could be wrong. All memories are not of equal surety.

While this is true for you, what about everyone else?  And did you ever get one thing confused with something else?  The "fruit of the loom" logo is one that I did misremember simply because of the commonality of cornucopia images at that time (and because I didn't spend hours staring at underwear logos)

And has your "surety level" been wrong?  I know lots of people who are very sure about some things and they're very wrong.  

Is the "Mandela effect" an "escape clause" for people who can't stand to admit they are wrong?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

All in all my personal judgment is that this so-called Mandela Effect involves elements outside of our straightforward understanding of consensus reality. It is impossible to prove or disprove. The best we have is some quite suggestive residue.

For Christ sake man. This is just you're way of dismissing the realistic answers in favor of your wishful thinking. And you have the audacity to claim you're open minded. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1