Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

17 Eerie And Incredible Unsolved Ancient Mysteries From Around The World

rashore

At last count, the world contained about 7.4 billion people. That's quite a lot already, and it's impossible to say exactly how many have lived before us. With so many people in total, it's no wonder that countless stories have been left untold, objects left buried, and mysteries left unsolved. As much as we know about the world, and as many mysteries as we've already solved, there is still so much more we can't fully comprehend - and perhaps never will - about the distant past.

Symbols. Scrolls. Artifacts. Sometimes it's hard to fathom exactly what else could be out there, or even in our own backyards. Some believe there is ancient technology yet to be discovered, or even entire civilizations left to be found. And sometimes, ancient artifacts can change how we view our history. Let's take a look at some of what our ancestors have left behind.

https://www.ranker.com/list/unsolved-ancient-mysteries-from-around-the-world/jeffrichard

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh geez.  Yonaguni again and the absurd "plant that softens stone" among other silly claims.

Don't these writers ever READ anything?  

-- crankypants Jaguar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Göbekli Tepe, this massive carved stone structure date backs to 11,000 BCE"

Say no more. Ta' best :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Oh geez.  Yonaguni again and the absurd "plant that softens stone" among other silly claims.

Don't these writers ever READ anything?  

-- crankypants Jaguar

Ok so Yonaguni is the spot off the coast in Japan. Since the article references Atlantis, is this place supposed to be the possible location of it or another fabled city? Or just fable as in not really a city and just a natural feature? And didn't see the "plant that softens stone" part, what was that about?

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Göbekli Tepe, this massive carved stone structure date backs to 11,000 BCE"

Say no more. Ta' best :rolleyes:

Do you mean that as you agree or disagree with the Smithsonian article about the date?

5 hours ago, rashore said:

Ok so Yonaguni is the spot off the coast in Japan. Since the article references Atlantis, is this place supposed to be the possible location of it or another fabled city? Or just fable as in not really a city and just a natural feature? And didn't see the "plant that softens stone" part, what was that about?

Its just a natural feature. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

Yeah the 'pyramid' is natural the entire island is geological a pile of different layers

Above the water near the Yonaguni these types of structures exist also.

yonagunijima-sanninudai4.jpg?resize=1024

https://ahotcupofjoe.net/2017/10/yonaguni-monumental-ruins-natural-geology/

yonaguni-coast3.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1

Its a good example of not looking that the context of the ridge line in regards to where it is and the geology of the entire island

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, rashore said:

Do you mean that as you agree or disagree with the Smithsonian article about the date?

Hi Rashore.- I agree with them at 11,000 years old, basically. .Some say 12,000 years old, but whichever, it is darn old, some 6,500 years older than the Khufu pyramid.

But I just really like their funky architectural style. It's distinct and provocative, imo

16 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Hi Rashore.- I agree with them at 11,000 years old, basically. .Some say 12,000 years old, but whichever, it is darn old, some 6,500 years older than the Khufu pyramid.

But I just really like their funky architectural style. It's distinct and provocative, imo

Here is the report on the RC dating of the GT

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258182967_Radiocarbon_dating_the_first_temples_of_mankind_Comments_on_14C-Dates_from_Gobekli_Tepe

Yeah, confusion always occurs with BC and BP dates. The oldest date that I am aware of is 9130 BCE which equals 11,080 years old. Those are average or the average of a range or the farthest edge of said range.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Thanks Hanslune, their figures are congruent, 9600-8000 BC. (10,020 - 11,800 years old). Even with my glasses on, a lot of that material I could not read. 

16 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

14 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Yeah the 'pyramid' is natural the entire island is geological a pile of different layers

Above the water near the Yonaguni these types of structures exist also.

yonagunijima-sanninudai4.jpg?resize=1024

https://ahotcupofjoe.net/2017/10/yonaguni-monumental-ruins-natural-geology/

yonaguni-coast3.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1

Its a good example of not looking that the context of the ridge line in regards to where it is and the geology of the entire island

Ok, so natural formation... that some folks like to theorize is something more to do with human input or construction. Kind of like the Texas rock wall mentioned in another thread. Folklore or modern notions attached to geological formations.

Either of you know what the plant that softens stone is supposed to be, or do I need to be patient and wait for Kenemet to explain that one? 

4 hours ago, rashore said:

Ok, so natural formation... that some folks like to theorize is something more to do with human input or construction. Kind of like the Texas rock wall mentioned in another thread. Folklore or modern notions attached to geological formations.

Either of you know what the plant that softens stone is supposed to be, or do I need to be patient and wait for Kenemet to explain that one? 

It's a legend to try and explain how the Inca (Tiwanaku and earlier folks) did that lovely smooth rounded style of stone masonry. Hard work and skill is discounted for bird spit. Must have been a whole heck of a lot of people collecting bird spit! Needless to say no stone softening/dissolving bird has been found...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

It's a legend to try and explain how the Inca (Tiwanaku and earlier folks) did that lovely smooth rounded style of stone masonry. Hard work and skill is discounted for bird spit. Must have been a whole heck of a lot of people collecting bird spit! Needless to say no stone softening/dissolving bird has been found...

Ok, so bird spit is the legend, and not a plant that does this? Or are there two variants in the lore? Or since the previous post was Yonaguni, and this one Inca, lore depends on location? Is bird spit/plant supposed to be in the sanding or rouge that folks used to smooth stones, or is it supposed to be some miracle compound that no work needed, just the spit/plant?

• Like 2

PICS - Smooth Stones in Inca Stone Wall

What I would like to see is to have some smooth stones in the wall removed to see if they are also smooth on the sides that cannot be seen.

That would be a way to tell if the Inca found those rocks as is or if they made them smooth. :cat:

16 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

What I would like to see is to have some smooth stones in the wall removed to see if they are also smooth on the sides that cannot be seen.

That would be a way to tell if the Inca found those rocks as is or if they made them smooth. :cat:

Yeah, if spit or a plant is supposed to make that effect on it's own, I can't believe it. There would need to be a large flock of huge thunderbirds to make enough spit to make those formations. Makes me wonder if that bit of lore has a touch of the cryptid in it. Using something in a grinding/smoothing rouge to make that effect I could buy into. With plants maybe- that's just too much bird spit to imagine. 

With as smooth and gapless as those joints look, I would guess that the stones are smoothed on the insides. Not rounded because that would leave gapping in the joints- but smoothed to fit together so precisely. 

• Like 1

Then again, too, @rashore, some people believe the Inca had invented their own cement which they poured into molds.
I personally am not fond of that idea because they would likely use the same symmetrically shaped molds over and over, like brick-shaped.
And, like you, I do not at all buy into "bird spit" . Or why aren't the birds doing it all the time, before and afterwards? Preposterous.  :td:

So my disposition is, in the end, I have no idea how they did it. It's a perfect Unexplained Mystery :cat:

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Then again, too, @rashore, some people believe the Inca had invented their own cement which they poured into molds.
I personally am not fond of that idea because they would likely use the same symmetrically shaped molds over and over, like brick-shaped.
And, like you, I do not at all buy into "bird spit" . Or why aren't the birds doing it all the time, before and afterwards? Preposterous.  :td:

So my disposition is, in the end, I have no idea how they did it. It's a perfect Unexplained Mystery :cat:

The other problem with that idea of concrete or magical formula is that the Spanish came into their civilization and saw a great deal of what and how they did things, and later children of these men also wrote about their mother's (Inca) culture - oddly they never mentioned this. The Spanish also employed the same masons the Inca used to make their own buildings.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 2:24 PM, rashore said:

The plant that softens stone...

I remember a thread here of a decade ago where I and "Zoser" discussed this for many pages on end.

Haven't found that thread yet.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

God, I really wish the search tool of UM didn't suck so much as it does.

Yes, Earl, the stones were NOT as smooth on the sides that cannot be seen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Abramelin said:

The plant that softens stone...

I remember a thread here of a decade ago where I and "Zoser" discussed this for many pages on end.

Haven't found that thread yet.

Ask and ye shall receive ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Windowpane said:

Ask and ye shall receive ...

Um... thanks? I think that thread left me more confused than anything. If setting soft stone together could form walls like that... brickmakers would have been making walls instead of making bricks to build into walls for ages. And stone just don't go soft like that. I have to imagine geologists checked the wall out and it's a known kind of rock that isn't known to soften, and it is really rock and not a man-made compound material. 

So... is there some reason why these aren't just really well made stacked stone walls? I understand stacked stone walls, and kind of get how large blocks of stone are quarried and made into walls and structures. These walls strike me as sort of a combo- not a precise quarry, but less precise chunks of stone worked to become a lovely huge stacked stone wall. Like taking a handful of rough stones and working and smoothing them to fit together into a necklace- only these walls are really, really big versions of that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rashore said:

Um... thanks? I think that thread left me more confused than anything. If setting soft stone together could form walls like that... brickmakers would have been making walls instead of making bricks to build into walls for ages. And stone just don't go soft like that. I have to imagine geologists checked the wall out and it's a known kind of rock that isn't known to soften, and it is really rock and not a man-made compound material. 

So... is there some reason why these aren't just really well made stacked stone walls? I understand stacked stone walls, and kind of get how large blocks of stone are quarried and made into walls and structures. These walls strike me as sort of a combo- not a precise quarry, but less precise chunks of stone worked to become a lovely huge stacked stone wall. Like taking a handful of rough stones and working and smoothing them to fit together into a necklace- only these walls are really, really big versions of that. 

People that claim these things really have a warped idea of purpose and time spent. 

Their view is that doing something the way archeologists describe takes too much effort for too little reward, so it must have been some lost technology or forgotten purpose and scientists are just blind to the truth, if they're not just purposefully covering it up. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

People that claim these things really have a warped idea of purpose and time spent. 

Their view is that doing something the way archeologists describe takes too much effort for too little reward, so it must have been some lost technology or forgotten purpose and scientists are just blind to the truth, if they're not just purposefully covering it up. 

Ok, so myths and lore to explain things. Ok, learning that one, but man the notion of plant softener is a fun one. So was bird spit in a way. I have to wonder how those legends started? Every story like that comes from somewhere. But probably better off for a different kind of thread than this one. 

What might be a dumb question then... are the walls actual mysteries at all? As in, while archeologists might have some really well educated notions, but still don't really know for sure how it was done. Like the endless threads about Giza and how they did it.