Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3 Highly Bizarre Ancient Accounts that Historians Can Prove the Advanced Civilization Was Real

Grim Reaper 6

Who are we and where did we come from? It's a question as old as humankind, and everyone seems to have an answer. now we actually do hav the answers, Innate in human nature is the drive to explore. Chief among these explorations is the desire to explain the origin of man, and earth.

No link to this thread, the video is the source of informatiomn

9 minutes ago, Jon101 said:

No again.

What is your point?

The video is 47:35 mts. long.

I don't have time to watch it (and I rather suspect that others won't, either).

Briefly, what are its arguments and evidence?  (I suspect that, as is so often the case, it's going to consist of over-literal interpretation of ancient myths and/or iconography ... but perhaps I'm wrong ... )

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Windowpane said:

The video is 47:35 mts. long.

I don't have time to watch it (and I rather suspect that others won't, either).

Briefly, what are its arguments and evidence?  (I suspect that, as is so often the case, it's going to consist of over-literal interpretation of ancient myths and/or iconography ... but perhaps I'm wrong ... )

It was meant to be educational fir those who may be interested and have the time.

Sorry to have wasted yours

Look, it was rude of me to just post No, my apologies.

Your title is misleading and the video a poor retelling of Mayan mythology, it doesn't support your title nor is the video useful as an aid to study.
It may be entertaining, but it isn't educational in any sense, other than a continentally broad one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Does this video actually report what real historians actually say about these topics?

Because I've never seen such a video that does, and it's vaguely insulting for me to be presented with what historians allegedly say but don't actually.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 5

4 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Does this video actually report what real historians actually say about these topics?

Because I've never seen such a video that does, and it's vaguely insulting for me to be presented with what historians allegedly say but don't actually.

--Jaylemurph

I have to ask did you watch the video?

The video doesn’t work keeps coming back ‘video error’.

cormac

2 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

Sorry about that but it works fine for me. It must be your video player in your location, sometimes this occurs depending upon the country your located in. 

I think if you go to YouTube and down the video at your location using this search it may fix the problem.

Highly Bizarre Ancient Accounts that Historians Can Prove the Advanced Civilization Was Real

Sirry for the trouble but, I don't know what else .I can do to help you.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I admit I fast forwarded a couple of times.... but there was a lot of “some historians believe...” and “historians now believe...” but no “Historian X states...”. 
Furthermore, the video doesn’t say anything about highly bizarre ancient accounts, just rather banal recaps of equally banal and readily known things. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I admit I fast forwarded a couple of times.... but there was a lot of “some historians believe...” and “historians now believe...” but no “Historian X states...”. 
Furthermore, the video doesn’t say anything about highly bizarre ancient accounts, just rather banal recaps of equally banal and readily known things. 

Sorry you were disappointed but, in reality most of what we know about many subjects that are both Ancient Historical are theories. This is common place in any Scientic displine across the spectrum. While you may be very knowledgable about the subject at hand, many forum members are certainly not, and so as long as the Video doesnt put out false information I do not see it as worthless. 
Thanks very much for comments, I appreciate your feedback. :tu:

8 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Sorry you were disappointed but, in reality most of what we know about many subjects that are both Ancient Historical are theories. This is common place in any Scientic displine across the spectrum. While you may be very knowledgable about the subject at hand, many forum members are certainly not, and so as long as the Video doesnt put out false information I do not see it as worthless. 
Thanks very much for comments, I appreciate your feedback. :tu:

“Many historians believe...” is more often than not shorthand for “we made some Sith up”. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

“Many historians believe...” is more often than not shorthand for “we made some Sith up”. 

Ok just for you I have added a Acedemic Peer reviewed article. It is 18 pages long and please read it, I downloaded just for from a site that I have open access too.

The Popol Vuh: Primordial Mother Participates in the Creation on JSTOR

9 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

--Jaylemurph

@cormac mac airt Here is a Peer review paper for you guys, I have read and It is a very good read. However, I am not an expert on the subject, you guys may not be impressed.

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Sorry about that but it works fine for me. It must be your video player in your location, sometimes this occurs depending upon the country your located in. 

I think if you go to YouTube and down the video at your location using this search it may fix the problem.

Highly Bizarre Ancient Accounts that Historians Can Prove the Advanced Civilization Was Real

Sirry for the trouble but, I don't know what else .I can do to help you.

Interesting stories, however they DO NOT prove any advanced civilization was real. As is often the case the word “civilization” is thrown around as if it’s automatically relevant to a story. It’s not as the word civilization itself has, for the most part, an agreed upon definition by anthropologists which is far more extensive than the accounts in the youtube video. 

cormac

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

@cormac mac airt Here is a Peer review paper for you guys, I have read and It is a very good read. However, I am not an expert on the subject, you guys may not be impressed.

A decent paper that I’ve read before and interesting in a general sense but it also doesn’t help support this thread in any way. 

cormac

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Interesting stories, however they DO NOT prove any advanced civilization was real. As is often the case the word “civilization” is thrown around as if it’s automatically relevant to a story. It’s not as the word civilization itself has, for the most part, an agreed upon definition by anthropologists which is far more extensive than the accounts in the youtube video. 

cormac

Yes unfortchanately I made mistake, and I am sorry about that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yes unfortchanately I made mistake, and I am sorry about that.

You can’t be faulted for having an interest in ancient history, in fact I applaud your interest. You sources however ARE at fault, knowingly or not, of misapplying the word ‘civilization’. 

cormac

• Like 4

Yes i can be blamed I know better than not doing research before I post something, and I failed to do so in this case. But, I dont make the same mistake twice so next what I post will be spot on, hopefully:D

Here are a few related papers you may enjoy, I should have read these myself before I started this thread.

Central Mexican Myth in the Popol Vuh

Central Mexican Myth in the Popol Vuh on JSTOR

Missionary Exegesis of the Popol Vuh: Maya-K’iche’ Cultural and Religious Continuity in Colonial and Contemporary Highland Guatemala

Missionary Exegesis of the Popol Vuh: Maya-K’iche’ Cultural and Religious Continuity in Colonial and Contemporary Highland Guatemala on JSTOR

The Flowering of the Dead: An Interpretation of Highland Maya Culture

The Flowering of the Dead: An Interpretation of Highland Maya Culture on JSTOR

10 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

You can’t be faulted for having an interest in ancient history, in fact I applaud your interest. You sources however ARE at fault, knowingly or not, of misapplying the word ‘civilization’. 

cormac

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Ok just for you I have added a Acedemic Peer reviewed article. It is 18 pages long and please read it, I downloaded just for from a site that I have open access too.

Cheers. 
Interesting that they never seemed to have a “flat earth” cosmology, instead they accounted for the curvature of the Earth by saying their realm was on the shell of a turtle - thus being curved. I also liked the “as above, so below” going on. We procreate to create new life here, so it was procreation in the realm above that created us. The realm above ours messes about with our realm, anf we can mess about with the realm beneath us.
Oddly enough I’m not seeing any evidence of non- or pre-Maya cuvilisation(s) within that document though. 

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Cheers. 
Interesting that they never seemed to have a “flat earth” cosmology, instead they accounted for the curvature of the Earth by saying their realm was on the shell of a turtle - thus being curved. I also liked the “as above, so below” going on. We procreate to create new life here, so it was procreation in the realm above that created us. The realm above ours messes about with our realm, anf we can mess about with the realm beneath us.
Oddly enough I’m not seeing any evidence of non- or pre-Maya cuvilisation(s) within that document though. 

Yes the reason they did not believe in the flat earth philosophy is because of their advanced knowledge of Astronomy, it amazing that a relatively primitive people had such a great understand of mathematics, and with out the use of a telescope ( at least none I have ever heard of) also a great understanding of Astronomy. Here are some other articles you may enjoy reading.

Central Mexican Myth in the Popol Vuh

Central Mexican Myth in the Popol Vuh on JSTOR

Missionary Exegesis of the Popol Vuh: Maya-K’iche’ Cultural and Religious Continuity in Colonial and Contemporary Highland Guatemala

Missionary Exegesis of the Popol Vuh: Maya-K’iche’ Cultural and Religious Continuity in Colonial and Contemporary Highland Guatemala on JSTOR

The Flowering of the Dead: An Interpretation of Highland Maya Culture

The Flowering of the Dead: An Interpretation of Highland Maya Culture on JSTOR

Take care dud:tu:

If I stopped to look at all the videos I get passed off to me every week I would have little time left. Marwon... Links really are better

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 12:24 AM, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

The video has been removed.

20210515_165346.jpg

Edited by Abramelin
  • Thanks 1