Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Part human, part monkey embryo raises questions

Eldorado

The news that scientists have managed to create a hybrid embryo that is part human and part monkey has raised significant ethical and philosophical concerns that go right to the heart of what it means to be human.

Although none of the embryos was alive for more than 19 days the achievement represents a significant scientific advance with experts predicting it shouldn’t be too long before such a ‘chimera’ makes it beyond the embryonic stage.

MSN report

Forbes mag

Chimeric contribution of human extended pluripotent stem cells to monkey embryos ex vivo

Research at CELL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

The news that scientists have managed to create a hybrid embryo that is part human and part monkey has raised significant ethical and philosophical concerns that go right to the heart of what it means to be human.

Although none of the embryos was alive for more than 19 days the achievement represents a significant scientific advance with experts predicting it shouldn’t be too long before such a ‘chimera’ makes it beyond the embryonic stage.

MSN report

Forbes mag

Chimeric contribution of human extended pluripotent stem cells to monkey embryos ex vivo

Research at CELL

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should. Some things shouldn't be attempted. This is definitely one of them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I didn't even think it was possible to interbreed species. I'm not liking this idea at all.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, susieice said:

I didn't even think it was possible to interbreed species. I'm not liking this idea at all.

I'm just picturing some kind of hideous creature being spawned, but with the cognition of an average human.

While it does make me uncomfortable, I'd be lying if I said my morbid curiosity isn't getting the better of me.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I'm just picturing some kind of hideous creature being spawned, but with the cognition of an average human.

I don't see any morality in this. The monkey/ human hybrid reminds me of Dean Koontz's Watchers. 

• Like 3

Just now, susieice said:

I don't see any morality in this. The monkey/ human hybrid reminds me of Dean Koontz's Watchers. 

That was my first thought, too.  Don't mess with nature

• Like 4

Just now, susieice said:

Starting to remind me of the movie Splice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, glorybebe said:

That was my first thought, too.  Don't mess with nature

I'm all for it.

Grab a couple rabbits, slap some lipstick on them. Maybe high heels to match. 

Hoverboards just have to be next. Bring it on.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

While it does make me uncomfortable, I'd be lying if I said my morbid curiosity isn't getting the better of me.

I've just finished reading Kazio Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, what a coincidence. Where do we draw the line- if a doctor can alter a gene so a child is not born with say, down's syndrome or spina bifida and so can live a more 'normal' life, what should we do?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

I've just finished reading Kazio Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, what a coincidence. Where do we draw the line- if a doctor can alter a gene so a child is not born with say, down's syndrome or spina bifida and so can live a more 'normal' life, what should we do?

Get them rabbits ready.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ted hughes said:

It would really get the reincarnationists up in arms. The belief that we create our own lessons to learn before reincarnating to Earth.

For an example; say you went off your lesson plan, (free will) and became an insufferable dick to a handicapped person. To balance this bad Karma, your next life would be to come back as a handicapped person with the same disability as the person you persecuted. You get to live that life to experience the derision, and the pain you caused. This could include being reborn as a Down's syndrome person.

But then I'm not sure if you could reincarnate into a chimera baby as all babies/incarnated souls are born of a human mother. Would any woman actually volunteer to carry a chimera to term, or would it be lab grown? Conundrum, after conundrum. I'll have to bug the reincarnationists for an answer. These are slippery slope questions that I have no answer for. Perplexing, and disturbing. By the doctor removing that gene, he removed that soul's lesson plan. Would that lessen plan be terminated, or would the soul see that future possibility, and plan accordingly? Gives me a headache thinking about it. Very complicated, and disturbing. Can, o, worms disturbing.

Here's another kicker about Down's syndrome children, and adults. They are the happiest people I've ever met. Do we have the right to remove that happiness? How about the lessons we learn from the handicapped? Such as compassion, sympathy, and unconditional love? All great lessons to be sure.

Great questions, Ted. Should be instructional finding out the answers.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Macaca fascicularis, the Crab Eating Monkey.  At least you know they'd have good taste.

Those itchy little things? Crabs are pretty tiny. And they have to pick them out from dubious places. Not sure I would say that's good taste 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I live with one, and she can be quite aggressive but mostly well behaved.

What would you like to know?

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Stiff said:

I live with one, and she can be quite aggressive but mostly well behaved.

What would you like to know?

Does she bite?

• Haha 1

Then they start to breed.
Then become part of the government.
Then they start to forbid caging monkey in zoo.
Then they start to become president.
Then there's a racist war human vs non-pure human.
Then I couldn't imagine how will become this world beside chaos.

Edited by FlyingAngel

I'm not an expect in this area.

Wouldn't this make it more human than monkey ?

In the study, chimeric embryos were created by injecting human stem cells into monkey embryos which were then grown under laboratory conditions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

It would really get the reincarnationists up in arms. The belief that we create our own lessons to learn before reincarnating to Earth.

For an example; say you went off your lesson plan, (free will) and became an insufferable dick to a handicapped person. To balance this bad Karma, your next life would be to come back as a handicapped person with the same disability as the person you persecuted. You get to live that life to experience the derision, and the pain you caused. This could include being reborn as a Down's syndrome person.

But then I'm not sure if you could reincarnate into a chimera baby as all babies/incarnated souls are born of a human mother. Would any woman actually volunteer to carry a chimera to term, or would it be lab grown? Conundrum, after conundrum. I'll have to bug the reincarnationists for an answer. These are slippery slope questions that I have no answer for. Perplexing, and disturbing. By the doctor removing that gene, he removed that soul's lesson plan. Would that lessen plan be terminated, or would the soul see that future possibility, and plan accordingly? Gives me a headache thinking about it. Very complicated, and disturbing. Can, o, worms disturbing.

Here's another kicker about Down's syndrome children, and adults. They are the happiest people I've ever met. Do we have the right to remove that happiness? How about the lessons we learn from the handicapped? Such as compassion, sympathy, and unconditional love? All great lessons to be sure.

Great questions, Ted. Should be instructional finding out the answers.

They would probably just say that souls can reincarnate into any living thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Does she bite?

No, it's worse. She judges.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

They would probably just say that souls can reincarnate into any living thing.

I'm starting to believe that. I'm willing to bet that you could dump a huge amount of bad Karma reincarnating as a Chimera. It wouldn't be a pleasant life. Basically stuck in a lab for the rest of your life. Walking, talking science experiment. I'm already feeling compassion, and it isn't even viable...yet.

• Like 1