Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California town votes to remove noose from its logo

Eldorado

A California town once famous for lynchings and the American gold rush will remove a noose from its logo.

The changes were approved by all legislators of the Placerville City Council on Tuesday, the Los Angeles Times reported.

It followed testimonies from residents for and against the changes, with the town’s history and issues of racial injustice cited as reasons for keeping and replacing the logo.

The town’s vice mayor, Kara Taylor, acknowledged the feelings of the town’s Black residents before tabling the motion on Tuesday.

MSN

LA Times

Placerville seal: Wiki

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Blacks along with Mexicans, Chinese, Native Americans and even Jews and Irish were lynched in high proportions in 1850s America. In the deep South, lynching was a regular and often hidden criminal action against Blacks for decades in most of the 20th century. When Mitt Romney in his 2012 presidential campaign called for "lynching of our opponents", he had to step back and apologize to the Black community, as well LGBT groups stating they were too widely lynched, and Romney said Mormons in states outside of Utah were also subject to religious intolerance involved in some cases, lynching. Understandably, the majority of those who were lynched are African-American, either by the KKK or by local white mobs. Ironically, the US government didn't collect data on federal hate crimes until 1980, but I'm a firm believer hate crimes like lynchings were much more common historically. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

CANCEL CULTURE GONE MAD!!

Really. You have a noose on your township sign, and you think it's a good thing? So bad history is now good history? Your priorities need adjusting. Seems like the mayor took everything into consideration before making the decision. You on the other hand went off the derp* end right off the bat.

*Sp. Int.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Hankenhunter said:

Really. You have a noose on your township sign, and you think it's a good thing? So bad history is now good history? Your priorities need adjusting. Seems like the mayor took everything into consideration before making the decision. You on the other hand went off the derp* end right off the bat.

*Sp. Int.

I forgot the sarcasm tag, mea culpa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I forgot the sarcasm tag, mea culpa.

My humble apologies for stuffing my foot into my mouth. Hoisted again. Hard to tell sarcasm anymore. I'll try harder. Forgive me  m'lord, for I have foot in mouth disease.

• Like 2

1850s California had a large Chilean population who were seeking gold in the northern sierras, but they were heavily harassed and threatened by white Anglo miners coming in from the USA (East Coast, CA was annexed and made into a state in 1846-48). Chile in South America has a history of settling Hispanic countries when they were former Spanish colonies in North America. And in the 1890s, Chilean-Americans adopted "Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese" and even "Cherokee" identities to hide they were Latino alike the similarly discriminated Mexican community, esp. in southern CA close to the Mexican border. It's possible they were targets of lynching and other acts of racial violence by the now Anglo majority of California trying to exercise full control of the declined Spanish-speaking population, and ironically, Chileans are often descendants of multiple European (esp Swiss-German) immigrant communities mixed with the Spaniards, Basques even more numerous (non Indo-European native language to Europe) and the indigenous Mapuche, Aymara and Inca peoples.

• Like 2

Loose the noose, then change hangtown to goldtown, done.

Im changing my halloween props, any that have hangmen nooses are switching to chains, hooks, whatever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Loose the noose, then change hangtown to goldtown, done.

Im changing my halloween props, any that have hangmen nooses are switching to chains, hooks, whatever.

CANCEL CULTURE1!1I:P:lol:

• Confused 1

As I've had to remove several posts from this thread, a reminder to posters to discuss the topic, and not each other.

Thanks in advance,

TIggs
[Forum Mod Team]

• Like 2

I see why they removed it.  I wonder if they could have left it and encouraged tourism.   A town of 11,000 could really benefit.