Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

13yr-old shot dead by cops had his hands up

Eldorado

Bodycam footage of a police officer fatally shooting a 13-year-old boy last month appears to show the teenager holding his hands up before he is shot.

Adam Toledo can be seen running away from police down an alley in Chicago as the officer shouts for him to stop and show his hands.

The boy stops and appears to hold his hands up as the officer shouts "drop it".

A shot is then heard as the officer repeats the command, and the boy crumples to the ground while the officer asks if he is alright and calls for an ambulance.

Sky news

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

It's getting worse. Another lawsuit on it's way. If this keeps up, I see future plaintiffs being able to sue the cops themselves. I hope, anyway. It's the only way to combat it now. The cop union had become to big, and therefore, too corrupt to continue. Just like the NRA. Hit them in the wallets by taking their pensions. It would work. Also, force them them to upgrade their recruiting standards. I.Q's lower than 110 need not apply.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

I.Q's lower than 110 need not apply.

There would be no police service then.   :lol: I see what you did there.

• Haha 2

If the officer is shouting "Drop it!" then it is safe to assume he believes the boy is armed.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I must be psychic and don't realise it!

As soon as I heard a 13 year old had been shot dead I knew he wasn't going to turn out to be white! (actually, I though he'd be black, so someone slipped up).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

They said on the news this morning that someone called 911 and reported hearing numerous shots fired. They played the 911 call. They didn't mention a gun being found by this boy although the article does. I don't see anything in the kid's hands. There was a peaceful protest last night but they showed the stores along the street had boarded up their windows. They didn't report any violence.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Want to get rid of someone? Just call the police on them.

Control Obsessed Psychotic Swine

Edited by Davros of Skaro
  • Sad 2

In the slowed down body cam video its clear the kid had a gun when running. He held it behind his back and dropped it when the cop ran him down. It was found lying right next to him.

However, it does appear he had his hands up. Another situation where a tazer, or rubber bullets, might have saved this idiot kids life.

That said, he was a 13 year old walking the alleys at 2:30 AM, with a known violent drug dealer, who fired 8 shots into a rivals car a minute before. Who ran, with a gun in his own hands, while the police were yelling to stop and drop the gun repeatedly. Who was about 5 feet tall, which is not unusual for a Hispanic grown male, running in a not well lit alley.

Bernie Sanders said police need to stop killing "perfectly innocent" black men. I can 100% agree with that sentiment.  But, wonder if he's talking about the recent news, because those folks didn't deserve to die, but were far from perfectly innocent.

Where were the parents when this boy was out at 2:30 AM with a thug selling drugs? Just saying....

13newsnow.com WVEC: Chicago releases body camera video of fatal police shooting of 13-year-old boy.
http://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/nation-world/chicago-releases-video-of-fatal-police-shooting-of-adam-toledo/507-24eb36fd-c400-4868-bf0a-d347acb4965b

A still frame taken from the jumpy nighttime footage appears to show that Adam Toledo wasn't holding anything and had his hands up, or partially up, when the officer shot him in the chest. Police say the teen had a handgun on him that morning, and the bodycam footage shows the officer shining a light on a handgun on the ground near Toledo after he shot him.

FOX 32 Chicago: Law enforcement experts react to Adam Toledo video release.
https://www.fox32chicago.com/video/922617

If you watch the video for he article, at 1:17 they show the still frame of the gun behind his back, and then he turns, apparently ditches the gun behind the fence, and puts his hands up. The officer, presumably saw the gun while he was running and had less then a second to react. 

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The kid reached in his pocket, pulled out a gun and threw it on the ground and then put his arms in the air. All in a second. What was the cop supposed to do? Wait to see what the kid would do with the gun? Get a clue.

Edited by SeekTruth
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I'm surprised the blue line thug fired just one shot.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

50 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

The kid reached in his pocket, pulled out a gun and threw it on the ground and then put his arms in the air. All in a second. What was the cop supposed to do? Wait to see what the kid would do with the gun? Get a clue.

The cop thought the kid would change his mind and pick it up? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

the cops will be blamed and almost nothing said about the parents that let their 13 year old kid be out at 2:30 AM.  

The root cause of this isn't the cop shooting him, it is him being able to hang out with criminals.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

The cop thought the kid would change his mind and pick it up? 

Watch the video before making dumb comments. The cop decided to shoot as the kid was pulling out his gun.

Edited by SeekTruth
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

If the officer is shouting "Drop it!" then it is safe to assume he believes the boy is armed.

Or he mistook a cell phone for a weapon.  If the boy had his arms up he either was not armed or dropped what ever he had in his hand.   I remember an incident when a man was shot by a swat cop standing in his own back doorway talking to 911 on the phone.   The swat cop claimed the man was armed but the 911 call proved he wasn't.  He was holding a phone to his head, no way any idiot could mistake that for a threat.   Sometimes people are hired that should not be.  There needs to be better interviewing and psychological testing.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

nope, not even close

47 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Or he mistook a cell phone for a weapon. 

But he didn't. Bottom line: You reach in your pocket when the cop tells you to out your hand up, you're looking to get shot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Let's not forget that all this is happening at high speed, in the dark, lives are at stake, split second decisions have to be made.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Parents, be very involved in your adolescents lives.  This kid was doing all the things that a young person that ends up shot does.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Quoth the raven to his body Cam. 

Bolded mine.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Sad, but the kid put himself in that position.

The word 'kid' who doesn't know he came to a world full of crazies.  Children tend to push buttons because they know no better???   

1 hour ago, Dreamer screamer said:

The word 'kid' who doesn't know he came to a world full of crazies.  Children tend to push buttons because they know no better???   

Yes and crappy parents. Heck, at 13 I had to be in before dark.

Edited by Myles
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yes and crappy parents. Heck, at 13 I had to be in before dark.

I was always out after dark at 13..Mind you the world wasn't as crazy as it is now.

• Like 2