Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Illinois man finds mysterious tunnel beneath his home

Still Waters

If I had to guess, I'd say it was some kind of bomb shelter, which were popular back in the 50's when Americans learned of nuke bombs.

notice the "tunnel" terminates without an opening. It's like a huge storage room, one way in and one way out.

17 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

If I had to guess, I'd say it was some kind of bomb shelter, which were popular back in the 50's when Americans learned of nuke bombs.

notice the "tunnel" terminates without an opening. It's like a huge storage room, one way in and one way out.

Hi Earl

You might want to read a little more the house/tunnel was built in 1840 so that would be some real forward thinking to build a bomb shelter a 100 plus years before the threat of nuclear war.

jmccr8

• Haha 3

On 4/22/2021 at 3:09 PM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Earl

You might want to read a little more the house/tunnel was built in 1840 so that would be some real forward thinking to build a bomb shelter a 100 plus years before the threat of nuclear war.

jmccr8

It would indeed, jmccr8! :D

• Haha 2

Guarantee this is not that mysterious. Just get an expert on 19th century architecture down there. My guess? It doesn't go anywhere, so it was used to store something. 

Also, I've seen a couple old ice houses, and they were vertical in the ground. That's not deep enough in the ground for an ice house. Same for a cistern. It's not that either. No idea really, but like I said, get an expert down there. I used to know a guy who was a structural engineer and one of the things he did was help, as a consultant, in restoring old structures built in the 19th century. He'd know what that is for sure. 

Edited by Hyperionxvii
change
  • Like 1

Maybe they made beer and used that to cool it. Or it could have been part of the Underground Railroad. Hard to say really. Odd find.

Supposedly there were tunnels  that link  the Menger Hotel with the Alamo in Downtown San Antonio.The Menger has been around since the 1850s, 1860s.It's well known as a haunted hotel, Teddy Roosevelt is supposed to hang out in the bar area. He came to San Antonio to recruit his Rough Riders. Out east of Seguin,my county seat, is the Capote Ranch. It was owned by relatives of his wife, and the ranch supplied horses for the Rough Riders. The most famous ghost is Sally White.She was a maid at the hotel and was murdered by her common law husband. The newspaper at the time covered the trial which happened in the 1870s,1880s. What's nice about the Menger,  is the people who stayed and worked there, well their ghosts can be verified by records.