Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Raccoons and raccoon dogs are expected to expand their ranges in Europe

Still Waters

Their home ranges lie on opposite ends of the world, yet they share a common trait: The North American raccoon (Procyon lotor) and the raccoon dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides), originally a native of Asia, were both brought to Europe during the 20th century in the wake of fur farming and as prey animals for hunters. Since then, both species have spread over wide areas. Throughout Europe, the raccoon is now established in 20 countries, while the raccoon dog inhabits as many as 33 countries.

It is expected that these species, which bear a superficial resemblance to each other, will colonize even larger areas in Europe in the future.

https://phys.org/news/2021-04-raccoons-raccoon-dogs-ranges-europe.html

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mam.12249

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Davros of Skaro

It's abouut time.

Myles
Posted (edited)

North American raccoons do fine in cold climates.   Indiana, Michigan and Wisconson have large populations.  Not many natural enemies to deal with.   I think vehicle would be #1.  

People used to get a few $$ for the pelts so hunting them with dogs was a hobby of many people.  I don't know many who still hunt them.  

Edited by Myles
  • Thanks 1

Orphalesion

I once read wild racoons in Germany originate from the warehouse of a furrier that was bombed during World War II, he raised racoons there for their fur and after the bombing they escaped and spread and thrived.