Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite Flowers

Brandy333

Image result for picture of red roses

Do you have a favorite flower?  Mine are definitely roses.   I love flowers in general but coming in close to second after roses would be Hibiscus.

Image result for Hibiscus. Size: 180 x 94. Source: nsuri.com

Edited by Brandy333
  • Like 3

Lilac, hyacinth, and roses, in that order, for scent. Lantana, and windflower for blooms.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

I'm an orchid guy. Well, I would be if I could afford them

Beautiful orchids

Image result for orchids

• Like 2

Water lily .......... this is my all time favorite called James Bydon

ee7481efd7d643241edd636f398d25fa_2000x.jpg?v=1618577358

• Like 2

Lilacs, Frangipani, Snowdrops and.... I think it's called the Lilly of the Valley in English?

That one:
630016.jpg.acb15ad88bc8ce2f78ffc19c1b5d90b1.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

Information about the fact roses are edible and nutritious.

I have real North American roses that I use for tea which get the big hips, not those invasive multiflora jobbies.

I like carnations and lilacs for the scent. Azaleas, lady's slippers and mountain laurels for the looks. My may apples are cool too.......I actually like all the indigenous to my area flowers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Snowdrops and.... I think it's called the Lilly of the Valley in English?

Snowdrops here are something different. I have them in the yard along with lily of the valley. 

• Like 1

Across the northern US are huge patches of lupine. It's such a beautiful wildflower. I remember them from Maine.

Wild Lupine bloom. MN north shore. Hwy 61 : minnesota

When I first moved to S. Oklahoma along the highways there grew some wildflowers with sort of pinkish/clay-pot color, very pretty but I forgot what they were called.  A cousin gave a Native American word for them, can't remember it either, but think she said it meant Indian Paintbrush.

I found it:

Image result for Indian Paintbrush flower In Oklahoma. Size: 204 x 204. Source: www.smithsonianmag.com

Edited by Brandy333

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

Across the northern US are huge patches of lupine. It's such a beautiful wildflower. I remember them from Maine.

Those look a little like flowers we saw in Texas called Blue Bonnets.

Edited by Brandy333
  • Like 1

When I was in California I had a couple bushes of these. Birds of Paradise. They last a really long time in a vase.

Strelitzia 'Bird of Paradise' plants | Thompson & Morgan

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

Snowdrops here are something different. I have them in the yard along with lily of the valley. 

Yes, Snowdrops and Lilly of the valley are different flowers. We had both in the garden growing up and both are favourite flowers of mine.
I just showed the picture of the lilly of the Valley, because the English name seems so strange to me. Their German name Maigloeckhen would translate to "may bell" (because of the vaguely bell shaped flowers) Snowdrops meanwhile are Schneegloeckchen, which would translate to "Snow Bell"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favorite flowers are the ones that bloom :) Ok, maybe not quite, but close enough. I'm a bit of a plant person. Todays favorites are yellow botanical tulips, yellow dandelions, Japanese magnolia, and purple muscari since they are in bloom. I've got some bok-choi bolting with pretty little yellow flowers and my lime tree is starting it's spring popping with dainty white petals. My Immense begonia is in bloom with sprays of pale pink. 

Edit to add... and I have a large purple hellebore in bloom, forgot about that one for a minute. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did you know the prickly pear cactus puts out pretty flowers?  When I was in S. Texas on some property there were some with beautiful flowers.  After the thorns are removed the cactus are edible, and you can get juice from them.

Image result for prickly pear cactus in full bloom

Edited by Brandy333
  • Like 2

look up naked hanging men orchid... you wont be disappointed. You are welcome

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rashore said:

My favorite flowers are the ones that bloom :) Ok, maybe not quite, but close enough. I'm a bit of a plant person. Todays favorites are yellow botanical tulips, yellow dandelions, Japanese magnolia, and purple muscari since they are in bloom. I've got some bok-choi bolting with pretty little yellow flowers and my lime tree is starting it's spring popping with dainty white petals. My Immense begonia is in bloom with sprays of pale pink. 

Edit to add... and I have a large purple hellebore in bloom, forgot about that one for a minute. 

We bring in and sell sooooo many hyacinths, tulips, daffodils and lilies they bore me. They smell wonderful though. ......but murder my allergies. :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

We bring in and sell sooooo many hyacinths, tulips, daffodils and lilies they bore me. They smell wonderful though. ......but murder my allergies. :lol:

Hyacinths were last weeks fave :) Most of them are blown now. 

I like lilies, and have a couple dozen kinds around the gardens... but a greatly disliked one is Fulvas. For folks that don't know, those are the common or ditch lilies. Mostly dislike them because before I lived here, someone thought those were the most awesomest and only lily that should be used heavily in many places. At least they are profuse enough to make a few decent rounds of stuffed blooms with dinners- their only saving grace.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Overdueleaf said:

look up naked hanging men orchid... you wont be disappointed. You are welcome

I will look it up, and the naked part in the title reminds me of a tree, of which I can't remember the name, but one man called it naked it Naked Indian, because it warm/hot weather they shed their bark and are reddish and smooth till it gets cold again.

Edit:  I found it about the tree, and think it's only native to Texas.  I saw them in Utopia, Tx.

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/ARBUTUSXALAPENSIS.HTM

Edited by Brandy333
  • Like 1

When I kept plants I always got some Petunias for the collection.   My favorites were the dark pink ones.   

PETUNIA F1 - PINK MORN - 100 Seeds - Petunia Grandiflora Balcony Flower - Annual

Edited by Brandy333
  • Like 2