Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Dogs can sniff out coronavirus with 96% accuracy

Eldorado

Many long for a return to a post-pandemic "normal," which, for some, may entail concerts, travel, and large gatherings. But how to keep safe amid these potential public health risks?

One possibility, according to a new study, is dogs. A proof-of-concept investigation published today in the journal PLOS ONE suggests that specially trained detection dogs can sniff out COVID-19-positive samples with 96% accuracy.

"This is not a simple thing we're asking the dogs to do," says Cynthia Otto, senior author on the work and director of the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine Working Dog Center. "Dogs have to be specific about detecting the odor of the infection, but they also have to generalize across the background odors of different people: men and women, adults and children, people of different ethnicities and geographies."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/04/210416120121.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

acute

I'd rather have a normal Covid test.

There's no way I'm gonna crawl around the floor of my GP's surgery while a poodle sniffs my bum.

• Haha 2

ted hughes

This is true but may be a bit weird. When I worked as a carer for elderly people many years ago, I could 'smell' cancer before I was told a patient had it. Maybe it wasn't weird, maybe advanced cancers of the gut or respiratory system give off an odour.

• Like 1

Raptor Witness

I wonder if they can be trained to sniff out Republicans?