Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The last wild North American Indian

Eldorado

It was August of 1911, when Sheriff J.B. Webber of Oroville, California, got word of a strange “savage” found in the corral of a local slaughter house.

The stranger–male, at least middle-age, weak and malnutritioned, and nude save for a strip of cloth worn like a cape–bore the appearance of an Indian. But Indians native to the area, like most Native American tribes, had long since died out, the last of them killed in one final massacre in 1865, almost 50 years ago.

Sheriff Webber collected the man and transported him back to the town’s jail—largely for the man’s own protection. It seems locals, alarmed at the man’s sudden arrival and appearance, had grown fearful and hostile.

Full story at Sometimes Interesting

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Thanks for article, | think they are doing okay today.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eldorado said:

It was August of 1911, when Sheriff J.B. Webber of Oroville, California, got word of a strange “savage” found in the corral of a local slaughter house.

The stranger–male, at least middle-age, weak and malnutritioned, and nude save for a strip of cloth worn like a cape–bore the appearance of an Indian. But Indians native to the area, like most Native American tribes, had long since died out, the last of them killed in one final massacre in 1865, almost 50 years ago.

Sheriff Webber collected the man and transported him back to the town’s jail—largely for the man’s own protection. It seems locals, alarmed at the man’s sudden arrival and appearance, had grown fearful and hostile.

That is a great story, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eldorado said:

It is quite possible that there is a tribe hiding out in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona, based upon the murders that happen there.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

It is quite possible that there is a tribe hiding out in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona, based upon the murders that happen there.

Links?
I'd wager, stories akin to the OP, are what account for most Sasquatch/bigfoot sightings / myths over the centuries. Small groups of isolated 'wild men' living rough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bavarian Raven said:

Links?
I'd wager, stories akin to the OP, are what account for most Sasquatch/bigfoot sightings / myths over the centuries. Small groups of isolated 'wild men' living rough.

The Superstition Mountains, with a name like that you might as well give away fancy proton-backs, of the Ghostbuster variety, at the visitor’s center, is a series of jagger tooth mountains in Arizona just the east of Phoenix. The area is filled with ghost tales, monster encounters, and, yes – you can’t have spooky mountains without an alien highway – UFOs. They are mysterious, they are cool as ice, and for all those Dark Tourism enthusiasts, they are full of legends

https://phoenixghosts.com/2020/10/31/superstition-mountains-ghost-lost-mines-murder-and-mayhem/

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 1:28 PM, Eldorado said:

Yes Ishi, on the reading list for most Anthropology courses. Also lead to scientists relearning how to make stone tools and gaining insight into ancient technology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yea , good story ! , Though like the newspapers back in  the day , the more that things change , the more they stay the same.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Yes I have heard those stories also, there was a TV series where a group of men were trying to find the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine. In that series it was frequently discussed that there were many murders that occurred in those mountains, but they never brought up the possibility of an undiscovered Native American Tribe possible still hiding out there. I am very skeptical about the possibility of this, I dont believe that a group of people could stay hidden in a open dessert location like that unless they live underground, and that's a scary thought!!!!! 

Maybe their Cannibals!!!!!!!!:D

Take care my friend

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Yes Ishi, on the reading list for most Anthropology courses. Also lead to scientists relearning how to make stone tools and gaining insight into ancient technology.

I have read a great deal about him myself. His contribution to Anthropology was tremendous and without him there is so much we would not know today. I do find it interesting, that the tribe he said he was from is now being disputed, do to some of the tools he made. In my opinion this is Ludacris because how could he have not known what Native American Group he was from, to me it doesn't pass the common sense test. In my opinion the Anthropologists who are proposing this theory are more than likely mistaken,  rather than Ishi would have been.:yes:

Peace dude

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 12:50 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Yes I have heard those stories also, there was a TV series where a group of men were trying to find the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine. In that series it was frequently discussed that there were many murders that occurred in those mountains, but they never brought up the possibility of an undiscovered Native American Tribe possible still hiding out there. I am very skeptical about the possibility of this, I dont believe that a group of people could stay hidden in a open dessert location like that unless they live underground, and that's a scary thought!!!!! 

Maybe their Cannibals!!!!!!!!:D

Take care my friend

Well it might not be an undiscovered tribe per se.  Consider that there is a sacred mystery place in the Superstition Mountains, and local tribes take turns guarding it.  Yes, they have a hidden cave, and they keep their back-woods skills up by killing people who get too close to what they are protecting, but then they wash up and come down the mountain and resume normal life tag-teaming with a new party.  They also provide each other with alibis, and even volunteer as trackers when the police need to investigate the crimes to insure that the mystery remains intact.

They don't seem to be cannibals, they seem to favor decapitations btw.

Or it might just be an insane prospector type protecting their claim. Or perhaps just a cartel of Mexican drug smugglers who want people to STFA from their operation.

Hidden communities is an altogether separate and independently fascinating topic.  There are at least 100 uncontacted cultures still on Earth, but then there are oddities like the rumored people who live in the underground areas of NYC, and in other cities.  You hear about isolated rural families like doomsday preppers who are pretty self-sufficient.

I personally like the idea that there are Native North Americans still living harsh but self-sufficient lives in isolated areas, and still fighting a guerilla war against the US government, but I wouldn't want to meet them.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Well it might not be an undiscovered tribe per se.  Consider that there is a sacred mystery place in the Superstition Mountains, and local tribes take turns guarding it.  Yes, they have a hidden cave, and they keep their back-woods skills up by killing people who get too close to what they are protecting, but then they wash up and come down the mountain and resume normal life tag-teaming with a new party.  They also provide each other with alibis, and even volunteer as trackers when the police need to investigate the crimes to insure that the mystery remains intact.

They don't seem to be cannibals, they seem to favor decapitations btw.

Or it might just be an insane prospector type protecting their claim. Or perhaps just a cartel of Mexican drug smugglers who want people to STFA from their operation.

Hidden communities is an altogether separate and independently fascinating topic.  There are at least 100 uncontacted cultures still on Earth, but then there are oddities like the rumored people who live in the underground areas of NYC, and in other cities.  You hear about isolated rural families like doomsday preppers who are pretty self-sufficient.

I personally like the idea that there are Native North Americans still living harsh but self-sufficient lives in isolated areas, and still fighting a guerilla war against the US government, but I wouldn't want to meet them.

Yes I suppose you just never know for certain, what's happening out there or if it is a made up story. I know weird stuff happens, but in most cases if someone wants to find the answer they can do it. But, in most cases people just dont care enough to really fine the solution. I have heard the story about the people living in sewers in large US Cities.

Take care my friend

• Like 1