Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Babies in Birmingham dying at twice the national rate

Eldorado

A taskforce is being set up to tackle baby deaths in Birmingham, after a report revealed infant mortality rates in the city are nearly twice the national average, with families from Pakistani backgrounds disproportionately affected.

Councillors described the situation as “distressing” and said the report made for uncomfortable reading after it highlighted deprivation, ethnicity and health inequalities as key factors in the stubbornly high numbers, which equate to more than 100 babies dying before their first birthday in the city every year.

“Something is going wrong. We need to act to put it right,” said the councillor Rob Pocock, the chair of the health and social care scrutiny committee which produced the report. “This is a tragedy that can and must be reduced.”

Guardian report at MSN: Link

• Sad 3

The problem is... these communities keep to themselves. The women in burkas are not even allowed to speak without permission, and they are deliberately prevented from learning English.

I don't see what can be done, unless they fully integrate, and there's no sign of that happening.

Edited by acute
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, acute said:

The problem is... these communities keep to themselves. The women in burkas are not even allowed to speak without permission, and they are deliberately prevented from learning English.

I don't see what can be done, unless they fully integrate, and there's no sign of that happening.

Absolute nonsense. I've lived in these communities and it's got nothing to do with 'burkhas' or religion at all. It's a cultural aspect of some Pakistani communities whereby they marry within families as a means to help the extended family and keep wealthy and prosperity from diluting etc.

Its an archaic cultural tradition which has no basis in Islam, in fact its contrary, and it's also thankfully phasing out with the new generation. However, still prevalent with 1st and 2nd generation Pakistanis.

4 hours ago, acute said:

Bearing in mind the bottom end of society contains poor white families then if poverty is the case why doesnt it affect them too?

And the NHS is free at source.

• Like 1

"The report said a fifth of infant deaths in Birmingham were caused by abnormalities at birth, the risk of which is doubled by consanguineous marriage (marriage between couples related as second cousins or closer), a study has shown."

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Bearing in mind the bottom end of society contains poor white families then if poverty is the case why doesnt it affect them too?

And the NHS is free at source.

I wasn't refering to poverty, although that may play a part.

Our Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities tend to be insular. They are less willing to seek the help available from the NHS, including maternity clinics, community midwives, etc.

I would assume, this results in a greater number of home births.

Edited by acute
Gramma