Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you know CGI most times when you see it?

the13bats

I want to find out if its fairly commen to recognize CGI pretty quicky,

Im not so much talking big deal movies where we go in knowing the film is full of CGI but rather the home videos like get posted here as ghosts, aliens, UFOs weird creatures crypto, trying to claim its real not some effect.

When you first start watching such a video in most cases does CGI just stand out to you as that is what it is? You think to yourself, "thats likely CGI"

Thanks all.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 4

Mostly, yes - there are lots of potential traps for beginners trying to pass off hoaxes...

I'd suggest one of the best resources on this topic is a Youtube channel by "Captain Disillusion".  If you can take his weird look and his satirical (over the top) humour, he actually does a remarkable job of explaining how he detects fakery, but even better than that he will often duplicate it, showing step by step how it is done.  His CGI skills are very impressive - he can fool me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, i saved his channel and i watched his moon ufo video, hes great, his look is tame compared to some who come to my club shows, lol.

• Haha 1

No, I can look at a video and think something looks off or not quite right but I wouldn't say I know if its CGI or not.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Thanks, i saved his channel and i watched his moon ufo video, hes great, his look is tame compared to some who come to my club shows, lol.

That's a great choice...  I'd also recommend this one - it is rather ontopic, and quite hilarious..

• Like 2

I really don't think that most people can tell the difference. Commenters are always quick to cry "CGI" whenever a weird video pops up (UFO's, cryptids, etc.), but more often than not it has a practical explanation (misidentified objects/animals, physical suits/models, etc.).

• Like 2

Not always when it's minor or exceptionally well done. Other times, even with a big budget it's schlock overkill, like that movie Midway, that looked worse than a video game and in sepia tones that just made it look even worse.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, acute said:

I like to think I can spot CGI, but it's becoming more & more difficult.

Yep, as a result, I just call everything CGI... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 9:57 PM, the13bats said:

When you first start watching such a video in most cases does CGI just stand out to you as that is what it is?

yep 100%

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2021 at 11:56 PM, Carnoferox said:

I really don't think that most people can tell the difference. Commenters are always quick to cry "CGI" whenever a weird video pops up (UFO's, cryptids, etc.), but more often than not it has a practical explanation (misidentified objects/animals, physical suits/models, etc.).

I realize for some its a go to cry when they dont really even look at the image well but in my eyes and with most non top dollar progessinal work aside, CGI has a look a "feel" to it, i just wondered if others saw it as i do.

• 1 month later...

As red/green and normal color blind, I usually can spot cgi fairly quickly because I see color weirdly.

11 hours ago, newbloodmoon said:

As red/green and normal color blind, I usually can spot cgi fairly quickly because I see color weirdly.

That's interesting - I'm mildly red-green blind myself and while my color-recognition is bit off, I have much greater perception of very subtle changes of shade, eg the slight banding effect that appears esp. in skin tones in lower bit-depth images (many tv's look horrible to me, yet my friends/family cannot see the problem..).

I was delighted when computer graphics arose so I could check and color-balance using the numbers, rather than my non-standard perception.