Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rock and roll bands of the 1960 & 1970s, which band do you think put out the most Anti-Drug message

Grim Reaper 6

I love Rock and Roll music and I have been, fan since the late 1960s. Drugs and Rock & Roll are sinonimos with the cultural revolution that occurred in the 60s and 70s. However, there where some very very famous Rock Bands that did put out an Anit-drug message to Americas youth. Now, I know this is hypothetical in the respect that they used drugs themselves, but the fact that they still attempted to guide our Nations youth away from drug use in my opinion still checks the block for moral standards. One of the bans that was famous for producing anti-drug music was also one of my favorite bands of all time, the bands name was Lynyrd Skynyrd. There were a number of their songs that were written with this meaning in mind by them and I chosen one to share. The song I am going to list today is The Needle And The Spoon.

If anyone knows of another band or even this same band that was doing this during that time frame please post a song by them that does this.

Peace and thanks for contributing to this thread!:tu:

• Like 1

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull was strictly against personal drug use, or drug use of band members. In fact he didn't like the whole concept of Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll: ''I was never drawn to the fashions, the free love, the drug experiences and the drug culture that people seemed willing to get into.''. The somg 'Living In The Past' for example, is an anti-drug and anti-hippie movment song.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull was strictly against personal drug use, or drug use of band members. In fact he didn't like the whole concept of Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll: ''I was never drawn to the fashions, the free love, the drug experiences and the drug culture that people seemed willing to get into.''. The somg 'Living In The Past' for example, is an anti-drug and anti-hippie movment song.

I am very familiar with Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull, but their music just wasn't for me. I dont even remember why I didn't like them, maybe it was an enquired taste, kind of like Rush I also could not stand their music, the guys voice gave me a headache!!!!:lol: But, thumbs up to Jethro Tull, and you just taught me something today that I certainly didn't know. Unforchantly I was drawn to the entire Cultural Revolution, I grew hair to the Middle of Back and I wore a headband I was a total Hippy Freak. Unforchantly I did experiment with drugs, however, they never controlled my life. Then one day I just grew up and Joined the US Army and watched all my hair end up on the floor :w00t: :cry::lol: it was 1978 and I stayed on active duty until I retired in 2003.

Thanks very much for the participation in my thread. This is a topic I have never heard discussed before so I thought I would start a thread and see what direction it would take, hopefully more people will join in.:yes:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Frank Zappa - Who needs the peace corps?

I liked Frank he was a seriously crazy dude, but I will tell one thing I would not have wanted to be one of his child. Those poor kids where given some:lol: completely ridiculous names: His two daughters were named Moon Unit and Diva Muffin, and sons Dweezil and Ahmet Emuukha Rodan.

Gail insists the bizarre names all have a special meaning within the family – Dweezil was a pet name which Zappa came up with, while Ahmet was the title of an imaginary butler, and Diva was given her moniker because she was a noisy baby.!!:w00t::lol: 

Take care my friend

@jethrofloyd Here is another song by Lynyrd Skynyrd that warns Americas young about the threat of drug use. The date of this performance is important to note because 20 October 1977,  three months after this performance was filmed the Bands Plane Crashed  killing band-members Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines and Cassie Gaines as well as the band’s assistant road manager and the plane’s pilot and co-pilot. The cause of the crash was determined to have been due to a faulty fuel gauge that caused the plane to run out of fuel.:cry:

Peace 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

@jethrofloyd Here is another song by Lynyrd Skynyrd that warns Americas young about the threat of drug use. The date of this performance is important to note because 20 October 1977,  three months after this performance was filmed the Bands Plane Crashed  killing band-members Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines and Cassie Gaines as well as the band’s assistant road manager and the plane’s pilot and co-pilot. The cause of the crash was determined to have been due to a faulty fuel gauge that caused the plane to run out of fuel.:cry:

Peace 

Apparently from what I have read Cassie hadn't wanted to board the plane but was persuaded to by other members of the group.  Shame they did not listen to her so sad.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

Apparently from what I have read Cassie hadn't wanted to board the plane but was persuaded to by other members of the group.  Shame they did not listen to her so sad.

Hello Tasha, yes I have heard the same story, but there is more to than. Below I attached the entire story, thought you may enjoy reading.

Thanks for post, I appreciate the support, and have a great day.

According to Check Six, the plane the band chose for the tour was a 1948 Convair 240, a twin-engine plane that had already accumulated over 29,000 flight hours. The aircraft was old; earlier that year, members of Aerosmith's flight crew had declined to use it because they felt it wasn't up to snuff. One of the Aerosmith's crew later recalled that pilots Walter McCreary and William Gray shared a bottle of Jack Daniels as the plane was inspected for that band.

The Premonition
Backup singer JoJo Billingsley was the only band member not on the plane that night. According to official accounts, Billingsley was ill and planned to join the band a few days later. However, JoJo claimed she foresaw the crash in a dream two nights before the incident and begged other band members not to board the aircraft.

The band obviously didn’t listen, but many of the crew felt uneasy riding in the plane, especially since they’d seen flames shoot out of the right engine on a trip just prior to the accident. In fact, Cassie Gaines originally wanted to ride in the band’s equipment truck rather than board the plane, but Ronnie Van Zant talked her out of it. Both perished in the crash. Van Zant reportedly said: “C’mon, let’s go. If it’s your time to go, it’s your time to go.

On their flight to Greenville coming from Florida, the plane managed to get into the air, but barely. Before this flight even took off, the band was unimpressed with its condition. It was 30 years old, and when the pilot guided the plane down the runway, a loud bang was heard from the starboard side.

A backfire that sounded like a gunshot was followed by a 10-foot stream of fire trailing the right engine with sparks flying. The plane eventually leveled out at 12,000 feet and after several minutes, the fire extinguished. The plane kept on flying, and to everyone’s relief, it made it to Greenville.

Cassie Gaines had initially refused to board the flight and was convinced by other members against her better judgment.[3] Her hesitation was due to a small fire on one of the engines the previous day. She intended to travel in the tour trucks but boarded the flight due to Van Zant's persuasion.[4]

Gaines survived the initial accident but bled to death while rescuers attempted to reach the accident site and remove victims for medical treatment.[5] According to controversial claims by survivor Billy Powell, Gaines bled to death after the accident in Powell's arms from deep lacerations.[6]

• Like 1

Steppenwolf, but only certain drugs (heroin).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TashaMarie said:

The reason I want a time machine to go back in time is to kill the flight crew who talked them into getting on that plane. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hello Tasha, yes I have heard the same story, but there is more to than. Below I attached the entire story, thought you may enjoy reading.

Thanks for post, I appreciate the support, and have a great day.

According to Check Six, the plane the band chose for the tour was a 1948 Convair 240, a twin-engine plane that had already accumulated over 29,000 flight hours. The aircraft was old; earlier that year, members of Aerosmith's flight crew had declined to use it because they felt it wasn't up to snuff. One of the Aerosmith's crew later recalled that pilots Walter McCreary and William Gray shared a bottle of Jack Daniels as the plane was inspected for that band.

The Premonition
Backup singer JoJo Billingsley was the only band member not on the plane that night. According to official accounts, Billingsley was ill and planned to join the band a few days later. However, JoJo claimed she foresaw the crash in a dream two nights before the incident and begged other band members not to board the aircraft.

The band obviously didn’t listen, but many of the crew felt uneasy riding in the plane, especially since they’d seen flames shoot out of the right engine on a trip just prior to the accident. In fact, Cassie Gaines originally wanted to ride in the band’s equipment truck rather than board the plane, but Ronnie Van Zant talked her out of it. Both perished in the crash. Van Zant reportedly said: “C’mon, let’s go. If it’s your time to go, it’s your time to go.

On their flight to Greenville coming from Florida, the plane managed to get into the air, but barely. Before this flight even took off, the band was unimpressed with its condition. It was 30 years old, and when the pilot guided the plane down the runway, a loud bang was heard from the starboard side.

A backfire that sounded like a gunshot was followed by a 10-foot stream of fire trailing the right engine with sparks flying. The plane eventually leveled out at 12,000 feet and after several minutes, the fire extinguished. The plane kept on flying, and to everyone’s relief, it made it to Greenville.

Cassie Gaines had initially refused to board the flight and was convinced by other members against her better judgment.[3] Her hesitation was due to a small fire on one of the engines the previous day. She intended to travel in the tour trucks but boarded the flight due to Van Zant's persuasion.[4]

Gaines survived the initial accident but bled to death while rescuers attempted to reach the accident site and remove victims for medical treatment.[5] According to controversial claims by survivor Billy Powell, Gaines bled to death after the accident in Powell's arms from deep lacerations.[6]

I had read/heard about the engine fire which for me would have been a huge I'm outta here but did not know about Areosmith and Jojo.   Thank you

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

I had read/heard about the engine fire which for me would have been a huge I'm outta here but did not know about Areosmith and Jojo.   Thank you

You are very welcome, and honestly after that engine fire I cant imagine what they were thinking. Yea, there is a great deal to the story, I suspect some of it is true and some of it is made up. I doubt we will ever really know the full truth about what happened, and I am good with that because even if we did it would change nothing.

Take Care Tasha

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2021 at 6:31 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Peace 

This was the first song I thought of.  

Written by Cale.   I like Claptons version better but here they are together.

On 4/19/2021 at 5:05 AM, Manwon Lender said:

I am very familiar with Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull, but their music just wasn't for me. I dont even remember why I didn't like them, maybe it was an enquired taste, kind of like Rush I also could not stand their music, the guys voice gave me a headache!!!!:lol: But, thumbs up to Jethro Tull, and you just taught me something today that I certainly didn't know. Unforchantly I was drawn to the entire Cultural Revolution, I grew hair to the Middle of Back and I wore a headband I was a total Hippy Freak. Unforchantly I did experiment with drugs, however, they never controlled my life. Then one day I just grew up and Joined the US Army and watched all my hair end up on the floor :w00t: :cry::lol: it was 1978 and I stayed on active duty until I retired in 2003.

Thanks very much for the participation in my thread. This is a topic I have never heard discussed before so I thought I would start a thread and see what direction it would take, hopefully more people will join in.:yes:

Oh, I like Jethro Tull and Rush.  Both great bands.   I have a pretty wide taste in older music though.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Oh, I like Jethro Tull and Rush.  Both great bands.   I have a pretty wide taste in older music though.  

I never said that they weren't great bands, I just said that they were not to my taste. I also have a very wide taste in music, while Rock and Roll is what I cut my teeth on, I like a little bit of everything.  Here is a band from our part of the country, that I thought was great, but that never really achieved the fame of other Rock Bands of the time. 

5 hours ago, Myles said:

This was the first song I thought of.  

Yes it does have very strong message, but so does this one.

Take Care.

On 4/19/2021 at 7:21 PM, Hyperionxvii said:

Steppenwolf, but only certain drugs (heroin).

The Pusher was actually written by Hoyt Axton of all the people, who also co-wrote The No-No Song, covered by Ringo Starr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few more Classic Rock Songs that are Anti-Drug:

Neil Young – Needle And The Damage Done

Pearl Jam – Life Wasted

Red Hot Chili Peppers – Fight Like A Brave

Minor Threat – Straight Edge