Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

73yr-old lady roughed-up by U.S. cops

Eldorado

Alright, I avoid this section like the plague, but there seems to be this cultural thing in the US where, if you're military, then law enforcement is the natural transition into the civilian world

It's poor training, perhaps poor vetting (you're not that useful, but you've been here longer, so here's a ****in promotion where you can continue to cover your buddy's asses) AND a tendency for those with more controlling personalities to seek out these careers

Couple that with this whole idea of, you serve in the military, then you become a member of law enforcement. Why? Why is this a thing? You're already sending over the youth of our country to 'bring democracy' to the world, killing innocent people or at least becoming numb to it, then you expect them to come back here, 100% mentally stable, firearms at the ready to protect and serve

IT TAKES A VERY SPECIAL INDIVIDUAL TO DO THAT TYPE OF JOB AND MOST, IN MY OPINION, SIMPLY AREN'T UP TO IT

Instead, you often get very controlling, sociopathic personalities that gravitate to those fields. Give em a gun and a license to kill (you gonna try to tell me cops don't cover their own?) and it's a ****in recipe for disaster

I've known cops that have nothing but an attitude, an axe to grind and they often just have that 'us and them' mentality 

You need better training, better vetting, better hiring procedures, maybe even a clean bill of mental health isn't such a bad idea for law enforcement, no? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Alright, I avoid this section like the plague, but there seems to be this cultural thing in the US where, if you're military, then law enforcement is the natural transition into the civilian world

It's poor training, perhaps poor vetting (you're not that useful, but you've been here longer, so here's a ****in promotion where you can continue to cover your buddy's asses) AND a tendency for those with more controlling personalities to seek out these careers

Couple that with this whole idea of, you serve in the military, then you become a member of law enforcement. Why? Why is this a thing? You're already sending over the youth of our country to 'bring democracy' to the world, killing innocent people or at least becoming numb to it, then you expect them to come back here, 100% mentally stable, firearms at the ready to protect and serve

IT TAKES A VERY SPECIAL INDIVIDUAL TO DO THAT TYPE OF JOB AND MOST, IN MY OPINION, SIMPLY AREN'T UP TO IT

Instead, you often get very controlling, sociopathic personalities that gravitate to those fields. Give em a gun and a license to kill (you gonna try to tell me cops don't cover their own?) and it's a ****in recipe for disaster

I've known cops that have nothing but an attitude, an axe to grind and they often just have that 'us and them' mentality 

You need better training, better vetting, better hiring procedures, maybe even a clean bill of mental health isn't such a bad idea for law enforcement, no? 

There are 800,000 police officers in the USA.    I don't think over 400,000 are incompetent.   

Nearly all the police officers I have met were very good guys.    Maybe that is a case of small city police are better people.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Maybe that is a case of small city police are better people.  

I am just tarring and feathering all over the place today, but you may be right. The less bottom rung they deal with, the better the attitude. I have lived in smaller towns where there's less anxiety about LEO (and not race based at all, both very mixed demographics). Move to a bigger population and cops just seem, I dunno, more...*******ish. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

I am just tarring and feathering all over the place today, but you may be right. The less bottom rung they deal with, the better the attitude. I have lived in smaller towns where there's less anxiety about LEO (and not race based at all, both very mixed demographics). Move to a bigger population and cops just seem, I dunno, more...*******ish. 

It also has a lot to do with the police chief and whether he is a crook or not.   The city of Dallas got rid of a really bad police chief and the new one came in and fired half the department in the first month.   They have a much better police department now.  The hiring and the training have changed for the better.

9 hours ago, South Alabam said:

That could be. But from what I have ever seen, it comes down to training and professionalism. State Troopers seem to be better trained and professional than some Police departments, but yes, it is down to the individual themselves.

The state police have murdered poor black men in many states, with little or no consequences. I’m sorry to say.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 11:22 PM, aztek said:

i have no sympathy for thieves, regardless of age or a reason. 

cops are like junkyard dogs, you jump the fence they will attack you,  they wont ask you nicely, or treat you with respect, they will rip you to shreds, it is their purpose in life, don't want to get bitten by them, do not give them a reason,  that is what people need to understand when dealing with cops.  they are not malevolent servants who protects us,  they are junk yard dogs reedy to attack  anyone for any "sudden movement" 

that type of thinking is why the US has so much police brutality.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, godnodog said:

He is under the odd delusion that authoritarian rule is freedom. It is not, but slavery in another form.

The “protect and serve” motto is more than a slogan for the public to see on patrol vehicles. When you make that slogan so obvious a lie, you lose the rule of law, from the start.

When the administration of the law is the problem, the law is useless as a civilized example. Civilized behavior must win, or the law means nothing.

This old lady needed more protection than the store that she may have robbed.

On very rare occasion, and not in years, I have caught myself almost leaving a store, without paying. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind, then a good laugh and quickly returned to pay, but what if I didn’t catch my brain fart? A broken arm? I cannot imagine that world. That’s not my country.

7 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

The state police have murdered poor black men in many states, with little or no consequences. I’m sorry to say.

They have murdered more white men than black men.

4 hours ago, godnodog said:

my thinking does not create police brutality, police. abusing their power does  that.  you got cause and effect confused, among many other things

1 hour ago, aztek said:

my thinking does not create police brutality, police. abusing their power does  that.  you got cause and effect confused, among many other things

right....and exactly how did I got cause and effect wrong? cause I did not write about that.