Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Environment protest being criminalised around world

Eldorado

Peaceful environmental protesters are being threatened, silenced and criminalised in countries around the world including the UK and the US, according to some of the world’s leading climate scientists and academics.

More than 400 leading experts – including 14 authors from the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) – say that non-violent civil disobedience from groups like the school strikers, Extinction Rebellion and the Sunrise Movement have transformed the debate around the climate crisis in recent years.

But in an open letter published on Monday they warn governments around the world are criminalising them at a pivotal time in the fight to tackle the escalating climate emergency.

Full UK Guardian article at MSN: Link

At the Guardian

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In the UK, more than 2,000 people who took part in Extinction Rebellion protests are being taken through the court system in what experts say is one of the biggest crackdowns on protest in British legal history. 

So what law are they accused of breaking?   That's the key here.  You are allowed to protest up to the point that you break the law.  Once you break the law you may be subject to legal repercussions regardless of protesting.  To say they are being prosecuted for environmental protesting sounds like an incorrect assessment of what's actually going on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Then we have to start protesting with the way we spend our money instead.  We can start by buying silicone bags and containers instead of zip lock bags and baggies and saran wrap.  I have a lot of silicone stretchy lids that go over bowls to replace plastic wrap.   I buy laundry soap in a box and it is a disolvable sheet instead of a liquid or powder.  There are so many business we could support that are trying to help us get a grip on pollution.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So what law are they accused of breaking?   That's the key here.  You are allowed to protest up to the point that you break the law.  Once you break the law you may be subject to legal repercussions regardless of protesting.  To say they are being prosecuted for environmental protesting sounds like an incorrect assessment of what's actually going on. 

I too am not going to believe that these people are being arrested for just protesting. Does anyone have video of them just standing around protesting and then the goon squad sweeping in and arresting them? I'm not saying that's not happening, but I'd like to see the entire story.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That movement has become steadily more radical in their means of protest over the years.  If these individuals are truly being hassled for nothing more than peaceful protest then they need redress of their grievances.  If they are endangering others or breaking laws to do the protests then I have no sympathy for them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, and then said:

That movement has become steadily more radical in their means of protest over the years.  If these individuals are truly being hassled for nothing more than peaceful protest then they need redress of their grievances.  If they are endangering others or breaking laws to do the protests then I have no sympathy for them.

Actually getting arrested to draw attention to your cause is a legitimate and common practice for protests.  I remember when I was a teenager seeing Martin Sheen leading a group of protesters to trespass on private property in order to protest animal testing at laboratories.  He walked right up to the police and presented himself for arrest knowing that the action would bring media attention to the protest.  But of course he broke the law expecting to be arrested and did not complain about it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

But of course he broke the law expecting to be arrested and did not complain about it. 

I'd classify that as "civil disobedience" as a means of protest.  I agree that it's a valid means to raise awareness but some of these groups today have gone over to the level of militancy.  I guess it's hardly a surprise when we have Congress members like crazy auntie Maxine actively fomenting violent unrest in cities and using her platform to threaten violence against a jury decision that goes against her wishes.

• Like 1

The People sometimes forget the often corrupt relationship between business and human government, to the point of death.

Make no mistake, the Earth is a womb, capable of miscarriage.... 

On 4/19/2021 at 2:36 PM, OverSword said:

i agree.  I think this is fake news.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

i agree.  I think this is fake news.

More like propaganda to rile up the Greta types of the world.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OverSword said:

More like propaganda to rile up the Greta types of the world.

Yeah, but also fake news.   

• Like 2

The truth is, business and the state of confusion have often colluded to harm both the environment, and the Earth's spokespersons.  Of course they'll never admit it, but it's well known among activists who face these unrepentant evils.

Now, the Earth is at war with humanism, and it's too late to argue.

The complacent will say, but this is just Mother Nature doing her normal things. Nothing to see here ... until there isn't an environment supportive of business or the state of confusion, which is the obvious result of a war with Mother Earth.

• Confused 1

On 4/19/2021 at 1:36 PM, OverSword said:

What you say is true -- BUT -- you may be assuming that the entire world operates under the same laws that govern the country you live in.

If you note, the article title says "around the world."  

I can assure you that the laws in China are not the same as the ones in the US and that China and other states will quickly shut down protests, no matter how technically legal they may be if the government thinks they're embarrassing or dangerous or anti-national.

• Like 3

I only quickly browsed the article and don’t remember China mentioned. I’ll have to go back when I get some time a take a better look.

13 hours ago, Kenemet said:

What you say is true -- BUT -- you may be assuming that the entire world operates under the same laws that govern the country you live in.

If you note, the article title says "around the world."  

I can assure you that the laws in China are not the same as the ones in the US and that China and other states will quickly shut down protests, no matter how technically legal they may be if the government thinks they're embarrassing or dangerous or anti-national.

Since I am in the USA, this part intrigued me:

"criminalized in countries around the world including the UK and the US"

Anyone have an example of this happening in the states?

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, Raptor Witness said:

Make no mistake, the Earth is a womb, capable of miscarriage.... 

Tell ya what... you bow to Gaia and leave the rest of us heathens out of your predictions, eh?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, and then said:

Tell ya what... you bow to Gaia and leave the rest of us heathens out of your predictions, eh?

Don't worry, there are plenty of ways humans will make themselves extinct, we won't need much help from mother earth.

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Don't worry, there are plenty of ways humans will make themselves extinct, we won't need much help from mother earth.

I don't think humans will ever go extinct.   By that, I mean in the next couple thousand years.  Number will eventually decrease quite a bit, but people are resilient. 

On 4/19/2021 at 8:49 PM, Desertrat56 said:

There are so many business we could support that are trying to help us get a grip on pollution.

Thats absolutely correct but the stronger way would be to boycott the products and services, on a global scale, of companies who dont care about pollution, exploitation of third world countries and their citizens and overexploitation of nature. A lot of new civic movements, like Extinction Rebellion and others triggered by e.g. Greta Thunberg, popped up during the past years. They are many and they have targets. But, their general problem is quite simple: they have no clue about strategic management which is mandatory to reach targets which are possible but far away at the moment. It is not enough to stand at the microphone with a whiny voice and to admonish, thats dungarees/Hippie style with very low effects. I think if that bunch would use and control its own power more targeted, they would reach their targets, or key parts of it, more sooner because they have a huge amount of consumer power.

• Thanks 1

Asia in the worst polluting continent and they have 4.7 billion out of the 7.9 billion on the planet.    That is a problem when the continent with the most people also have governments that don't fully support cleaning things up.  China built 184 coal powered power plants last year.   

19 hours ago, and then said:

The Earth and I are simply friends. I speak for her, and to her, which is partly why I knew about “the pain of a newdawn trauma" in 2019, which marked the end of “I am the chosen one,” who you really did worship here, for years.

Edited by Raptor Witness