Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tesco fined £7.56m for selling out-of-date food in Birmingham

Eldorado

Tesco has been fined £7.56m for selling out-of-date food at three stores in Birmingham.

Offending items were found at two Tesco Express stores, in the city centre and Bournville, and a Tesco Metro in Bristol Road South.

The fine was handed down after Tesco Stores Ltd admitted 22 breaches of the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations, which happened between 2016 and 2017.

Tesco said it took "immediate action" to rectify problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-56806641

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

What happens to that money?  Where does that money go?

The Treasury.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

The Treasury.

Who then gives it back to the government for the people to slave for it back..GREAT!!

• Haha 1

I think this happens in a lot of places world wide. Always check the expiration dates. They have to be printed on the packaging. If there isn't one, don't buy it.

• Like 2

You've had to be especially careful during the past year. I can't tell you how many times I've almost bought something that had already expired. Some things are okay, others not so much.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Michelle said:

You've had to be especially careful during the past year. I can't tell you how many times I've almost bought something that had already expired. Some things are okay, others not so much.

I splurged and bought some fresh scallops at the butcher counter to treat myself with. They weren't dated in the display case. I started cooking them and the smell of ammonia was overwhelming. That odor in shellfish or fish indicates decomposition. I threw them all out because they'll taste like ammonia too and can really make you sick. You need to watch everything. I won't be buying fresh fish for a while.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Went to ASDA and bought a jar of John West caviar that was 4 months out of date.  Bought a multipack of Walker's crisps from the Spar that was a month out of date.  Always remember to check the dates.  Strangely I like the taste of out of date chocolate.  I miss the open food markets where you could buy assorted bags of out of date sweets, milk, buns, rolls, cakes, or a bundle of 10 creme eggs for just £1.  It was the hottest day of the year and I ate the whole lot before they melted.  As Charles Dickens once said - “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness."  Joy and sorrow rolled into one emotion.  Would I do it again - yes.  :D  We used to have a discount store that sold damaged tin cans of food, and broken Easter eggs.  Yummy.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

One of these stores is my nearest Tesco!  Fortunately, I don't shop there.

• Like 2

Not all foods will go bad exactly on the date that's stamped. Depends on the food, but I wouldn't go too far past. It's ok if you use them right away but not if you are going to put them up for later. It's not a risk worth taking.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, susieice said:

I splurged and bought some fresh scallops at the butcher counter to treat myself with. They weren't dated in the display case. I started cooking them and the smell of ammonia was overwhelming. That odor in shellfish or fish indicates decomposition. I threw them all out because they'll taste like ammonia too and can really make you sick. You need to watch everything. I won't be buying fresh fish for a while.

Scallops and crab legs are my favorite! They are difficult to judge even in the best of situations. I have never not been offered my money back though. They don't want them back either.

• Like 2

Just now, susieice said:

Not all foods will go bad exactly on the date that's stamped.

I often ignore use-by dates. People should use their common sense.

Give it a visual inspection and/or a good sniff!

• Like 4

I work in a supermarket (not saying where cause I can get in trouble) and I've had customers coming up to me with out of date food, quite embarrassing at times.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, ThereWeAreThen said:

I work in a supermarket (not saying where cause I can get in trouble) and I've had customers coming up to me with out of date food, quite embarrassing at times.

The restaurant I used to work in sold pints of milk. The milkman would try and leave milk that was outdated the next day. I didn't catch it but a costomer did and it was embarrassing. I chewed that milkman out next time and watched him like a hawk from then on. It's still good for ten days after the date and I'll use it at home, but I won't serve it to the public.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Michelle said:

The restaurant I used to work in sold pints of milk. The milkman would try and leave milk that was outdated the next day. I didn't catch it but a costomer did and it was embarrassing. I chewed that milkman out next time and watched him like a hawk from then on. It's still good for ten days after the date and I'll use it at home, but I won't serve it to the public.

Milk is one to watch. It can go sour quickly. I go for milk that's stamped at least a week or two in advance of my purchase date. A lot of times it's alright past date but keep sniffing to be sure. If not, the taste will surely stop you.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

There is some good information in this thread, thanks Eldorado and others. 

It's important to know the difference between Best Before and Use By:

'The 'Best Before' date relates to food quality. Food can be sold, redistributed or consumed after this date but it may lose taste, texture or colour but that virtually never happens with the superb packaging our food comes in these days.

The 'Use by' date relates to food safety and these items are normally meat, fish and unpasteurised cheese. These cannot be sold, redistributed or consumed after this date as they could then make you ill'.

There are some big savings to be made with BB food, here is a chain that specializes: Thrifty shoppers flock to 'gone past best' warehouse stacked high with food for less than half price | Daily Mail Online

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, susieice said:

Milk is one to watch. It can go sour quickly.

A test on milk can be accomplished by my aforementioned "sniff". :tu:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, susieice said:

Milk is one to watch. It can go sour quickly. I go for milk that's stamped at least a week or two in advance of my purchase date. 

I worked for Arabs and a few gallons of milk would disappear with Mama periodically, going bad or not. A couple of days later she would bring us the best labneh that she made completely from scratch. It was one of the few recipes I didn't get from her before she was gone just two months ago. Ironically, she went doing what she loved...cooking. :wub:

https://thematbakh.com/labneh-recipe-from-the-mountains-of-lebanon/

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Ooft don't blame you for watching him like a hawk! Restaraunts can get shut down (and have) for health and safety, I worked in a kitchen for six years and to be fair we were strict with it as any decent restaraunt, cafe, pub etc should be. It's one of the reasons why I used to love watching Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Ooft don't blame you for watching him like a hawk! Restaraunts can get shut down (and have) for health and safety, I worked in a kitchen for six years and to be fair we were strict with it as any decent restaraunt, cafe, pub etc should be. It's one of the reasons why I used to love watching Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. :P

I grew up in a bar/restaurant and I love Bar Rescue with Jon Taffer. I was only a teenager and I was about as strict as him. Most of the people didn't mind because I got my hands as dirty as they did.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, acute said:

A test on milk can be accomplished by my aforementioned "sniff". :tu:

Does that mean its possible/allowed to open milk bottles/cans for a test in the shops in your country?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, susieice said:

I think this happens in a lot of places world wide. Always check the expiration dates. They have to be printed on the packaging. If there isn't one, don't buy it.

Is it allowed in the US to offer packed food without Best Before and Use By markings?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, toast said:

Is it allowed in the US to offer packed food without Best Before and Use By markings?

No. It isn't allowed. Bulk fresh vegetables and fruits in bins aren't marked but you can tell by sight what ones to pick. If they are in bags, they must be marked. Meat or seafood in a butcher's counter must be marked after packaging with the date they were packed and the day they need to be used by. Same with any fresh sliced deli meats or cheeses. Also prepared salads or other similar deli items. Must be marked with the date they were packed and the use by date. 

Every packaged food from eggs to chicken breast to a box of jello must have a best before or use by date stamped on it.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, toast said:

Does that mean its possible/allowed to open milk bottles/cans for a test in the shops in your country?

Sniff and buy? Too many jokes:no: I won't do it.

Food is ok after its Out of date on the packet.  I used to throw food away that was able to be eaten.  It used to annoy me big time, never could suss out why this was the case until I realized a business can't survive.   Business before human beings, the order is so wrong.

Edited by Dreamer screamer