Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Rock Band Lynryd Skynryd and their tragic Plane Crash: A Premonition of disaster and a Ghost

Grim Reaper 6

On October 20, 1977, exactly 36 years ago today, a plane carrying the Southern rock band Lynryd Skynryd crashed in a remote forest near Gillsburg, Mississippi. The accident killed three band members- lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist/vocalist Steve Gaines, and backup vocalist Cassie Gaines -as well as the band’s assistant road manager and the two pilots manning the plane.

Legend has it Ronnie Van Zant haunts Freebird Live, a bar and live music venue owned by his widow Judy. According to a 2002 article in the Florida Times-Union, a staff member left a full bottle of Jack Daniel’s whiskey on the counter one night. When employees opened up the next morning, the bottle was empty. “They say Ronnie drank it, it was him,” said Kristen Van Zant, Ronnie’s niece and manager of the café. Jack Daniel’s was one of the musician’s favorite drinks. Kristen and other employees believed Ronnie drank the liquor to show them he was around.:devil::devil:

Lynryd Skynryd Plane Crash: A Premonition and a Ghost | Ghosts and Ghouls (ghostsnghouls.com)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I have the Street Survivors album with the cover that has the fire on it, engulfing both Van Zandt and Gaines. 

One of the saddest things ever in music history. I saw them live before Street Survivors was released doing several of the songs off that album, including 'You got that Right', and 'That Smell'. And I had my ticket to see them again before the crash. My friend called me the next day and said 'I don't think you're going to that concert, their plane crashed and Gaines and Van Zandt are dead'.

Steve Gaines is one of the best guitarist and entertainers I've ever seen on a stage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a person whose lifetime has been in the band, music club biz if a spooky was thirsty it would just start grabbing bottles, come on, do you think Slimer waited to be asked?

But if it was my bar i would get to the bottom of who was stealing booze.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

I have the Street Survivors album with the cover that has the fire on it, engulfing both Van Zandt and Gaines. 

One of the saddest things ever in music history. I saw them live before Street Survivors was released doing several of the songs off that album, including 'You got that Right', and 'That Smell'. And I had my ticket to see them again before the crash. My friend called me the next day and said 'I don't think you're going to that concert, their plane crashed and Gaines and Van Zandt are dead'.

Steve Gaines is one of the best guitarist and entertainers I've ever seen on a stage. 

Thanks for your reply, seeing them live was memorable I also saw live in St. Louis, Missouri in 1973 and 1976 at Kiel Auditorium. They were definitely one of my favorite bands of all time. They were also a very positive factor in the Rock and Roll industry during that time, like I said above they put out a message to Americas young that using drugs was not something to do. Very few Rock Bands during this time frame did this ( In fact many glorified it ), and even thought they were heavy drug users themselves they still used their fame to turn Americas youth away from making the Mistakes they realized they had made.

I also use to have that album Street Survivors with the flames on the cover, and I may still have it I am not sure. In the United States we have a storage unit that is 40 by 40 and I think all my albums are still stored there. Yea the plane crash was absolutely tragic and totally unnecessary, that plane was in terrible condition and after the engine fire the day before the crash they really should have found other transportation. But, you know what they say, the show must go on!!:cry:  

Back to the Album, most people dont know this but many of the albums that were sold without the flames on the cover actually still had them. Since so mnay had already been printed with the flames, instead of throwing the covers away, they produced a exact copy of the new cover with an adhesive back that was place over the Original Cover. So many of these doctored covers still exist and they are easy to identify by looking at the edge for the front side of the album cover. I have seen a few them myself, however, I am uncertain if they could be removed to exposé the Original album cover.

Thanks for your post man, I appreciate the support its amazing how we can argue about politics and be so close together on other subjects!:tu:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the13bats said:

As a person whose lifetime has been in the band, music club biz if a spooky was thirsty it would just start grabbing bottles, come on, do you think Slimer waited to be asked?

But if it was my bar i would get to the bottom of who was stealing booze.

Bats, in my opinion there was no spooky as you put. However, saying there may have been would certainly be great advertising stunt if you could get local papers to print it, which they did. So in my opinion the story definitely served its true intended purpose, and I will bet that the Bar filled up after that story was ran as news!!!!:tu:

Oh and the reason I started thread, was because I love to read the replies some people make it is quite humorous to say the least!!!:lol:

Take care Bats 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks for your reply, seeing them live was memorable I also saw live in St. Louis, Missouri in 1973 and 1976 at Kiel Auditorium. They were definitely one of my favorite bands of all time. They were also a very positive factor in the Rock and Roll industry during that time, like I said above they put out a message to Americas young that using drugs was not something to do. Very few Rock Bands during this time frame did this ( In fact many glorified it ), and even thought they were heavy drug users themselves they still used their fame to turn Americas youth away from making the Mistakes they realized they had made.

I also use to have that album Street Survivors with the flames on the cover, and I may still have it I am not sure. In the United States we have a storage unit that is 40 by 40 and I think all my albums are still stored there. Yea the plane crash was absolutely tragic and totally unnecessary, that plane was in terrible condition and after the engine fire the day before the crash they really should have found other transportation. But, you know what they say, the show must go on!!:cry:  

Back to the Album, most people dont know this but many of the albums that were sold without the flames on the cover actually still had them. Since so mnay had already been printed with the flames, instead of throwing the covers away, they produced a exact copy of the new cover with an adhesive back that was place over the Original Cover. So many of these doctored covers still exist and they are easy to identify by looking at the edge for the front side of the album cover. I have seen a few them myself, however, I am uncertain if they could be removed to exposé the Original album cover.

Thanks for your post man, I appreciate the support its amazing how we can argue about politics and be so close together on other subjects!:tu:

Last time I saw them, 76?, was in Cincy. They were incredible. I still remember that they were doing T for Texas and Gaines was out there tearing it up and a friend of mine who I'd seen them with before said 'Who is that?'. I didn't know either. And a guy standing near us says 'That's Cassie Gaine's brother', and we were like 'whoaa'... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

its amazing how we can argue about politics and be so close together on other subjects!:tu:

This is not a new phenomenon for me. I have a couple of friends who I get together with typically at least once a month, who I disagree with them both on most things political. We just typically don't talk about politics because there are too many other things we want to talk about.

This entire thing of dividing people up into warring factions with no common ground is ripping this country apart. It's why I hate political parties. They sell you membership in a team and as part of your membership, you have to hate everyone on the other team, no matter what. It's twisted and dangerous. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Last time I saw them, 76?, was in Cincy. They were incredible. I still remember that they were doing T for Texas and Gaines was out there tearing it up and a friend of mine who I'd seen them with before said 'Who is that?'. I didn't know either. And a guy standing near us says 'That's Cassie Gaine's brother', and we were like 'whoaa'... 

Yea was a very good guitar player, and without ant doubt a major asset to the band However, the key person that made the success of that possible was Ronnie Van Zandt. Ronnie was a fantastic front man for the band, but without his voice, and skills a Lyricist the band to would never have Sky Rocket to fame and fortune.

The new Lynyrd Skynryd is a band I refuse to listen too. To me they are just parasites living off the bones of the dead and nothing more. While they do write some new material, it is an insult to Ronnie abilities because like I said they can not even on the lowest level reproduce what was being done before the plane crash. Please dont take any offence to my comments, they are only my opinion on the subject.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yea was a very good guitar player, and without ant doubt a major asset to the band However, the key person that made the success of that possible was Ronnie Van Zandt. Ronnie was a fantastic front man for the band, but without his voice, and skills a Lyricist the band to would never have Sky Rocket to fame and fortune.

The new Lynyrd Skynryd is a band I refuse to listen too. To me they are just parasites living off the bones of the dead and nothing more. While they do write some new material, it is an insult to Ronnie abilities because like I said they can not even on the lowest level reproduce what was being done before the plane crash. Please dont take any offence to my comments, they are only my opinion on the subject.

Yeah, Ronnie was great. So was Gary Rossington and Alan Collins. All of them really. 

But Steve Gaines was truly special, more so than all the rest. I knew it from the first few minutes I saw him on that stage. Truly as a guitarist with a great stage presence, the only person I've seen in his class is Tommy Shaw with Styx. 

I'm not sure what it is with great guitarists meeting with an untimely demise. Jimi Hendrix, Steve Gaines, Randy Rhoads, Stevie Ray Vaughn, how many more?

Sure, you shouldn't do drugs. But if you are an extra talented guitarists, never, ever, NEVER get on an airplane! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

This is not a new phenomenon for me. I have a couple of friends who I get together with typically at least once a month, who I disagree with them both on most things political. We just typically don't talk about politics because there are too many other things we want to talk about.

This entire thing of dividing people up into warring factions with no common ground is ripping this country apart. It's why I hate political parties. They sell you membership in a team and as part of your membership, you have to hate everyone on the other team, no matter what. It's twisted and dangerous. 

I agree with you that political parties do sell membership, and in the past I was a fool who followed the Republican party. However, since the last election and because of the last previous 4 years I have completely changed my mind on the subject. From this point forward political parties mean nothing to me, and my vote will be cast for the best candidate no matter their political affiliation. Like I did with Trump, I will research all political candidates running for office, and when I say research I mean all the back to their teenage years and from their I will either chose who I think is best or I will not for either. So that's my thoughts on this subject, and that is how I will vote in the future, because that is the only way to stay in control and not allow any party to control me.

Peace

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Yeah, Ronnie was great. So was Gary Rossington and Alan Collins. All of them really. 

But Steve Gaines was truly special, more so than all the rest. I knew it from the first few minutes I saw him on that stage. Truly as a guitarist with a great stage presence, the only person I've seen in his class is Tommy Shaw with Styx. 

I'm not sure what it is with great guitarists meeting with an untimely demise. Jimi Hendrix, Steve Gaines, Randy Rhoads, Stevie Ray Vaughn, how many more?

Sure, you shouldn't do drugs. But if you are an extra talented guitarists, never, ever, NEVER get on an airplane! 

Amen, my brother, but like Ronnie told Cassie Gaines right before they boarded that plane, when it is your time to go, it doesnt matter where you are, because it will still occur!!!!:yes:

Edited by Manwon Lender

I found this part very interesting:

However, JoJo claimed she foresaw the crash in a dream two nights before the incident and begged other band members not to board the aircraft.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

However, JoJo claimed she foresaw the crash in a dream two nights before the incident and begged other band members not to board the aircraft.

The flight crew should have known better. They didn't even have a functional fuel gauge on the plane. If they would have they would have known they were running out of fuel because they were running the engines extra rich with fuel to keep them from stalling out, well before they actually ran out of gas. 

12 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes it suppose to be a true story, and if it did really occur it wasn't actually designed to prevent the plane crash in my opinion. Because, I believe that time if fluid what has occurred in the past can only effect what is occurring in the present. As far as future events are concerned, Do not believe that they can be changed, I believe that when it comes time for anyone to pass it will occur not matter where are what someone is doing. I also believe that everything that occurs is preordained to happen, from the time of our birth to our ultimate death. I think this is what keeps the Universe balanced, however, even with that said I do not believe in a God figure that controls this. According to my Spiritual beliefs it is just part of the great circle and it is based upon the principle of Karma and nothing more.

Hey Papa, thanks for your response.

18 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

The flight crew should have known better. They didn't even have a functional fuel gauge on the plane. If they would have they would have known they were running out of fuel because they were running the engines extra rich with fuel to keep them from stalling out, well before they actually ran out of gas. 

Speaking about great guitar players I have a video I would like you to watch, and then give me your opinion about it. During the charity even called a tribute concert for George Harrison, Prince was asked to perform during the song My Guitar Gently Weeps. Until I saw this performance I never viewed Prince as a serious Rock Guitarist. But after his performance I have personality my opinion of him changed in a major way!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yes it suppose to be a true story, and if it did really occur it wasn't actually designed to prevent the plane crash in my opinion. Because, I believe that time if fluid what has occurred in the past can only effect what is occurring in the present. As far as future events are concerned, Do not believe that they can be changed, I believe that when it comes time for anyone to pass it will occur not matter where are what someone is doing. I also believe that everything that occurs is preordained to happen, from the time of our birth to our ultimate death. I think this is what keeps the Universe balanced, however, even with that said I do not believe in a God figure that controls this. According to my Spiritual beliefs it is just part of the great circle and it is based upon the principle of Karma and nothing more.

Its easy to make such a dream claim when your only proof is dead.

Did you see men in black um 3?

Spoiler alerts

Its a time travel idea an alien "Griffin" who supposed to be able to see all possible outcomes at every moment is vaugely helping the heros and they are working hard and failing to change the future as they desire,

Griffin explans to them where there is death their will always be death,

Not unlike what you are talking about and how HG went at it in the time machine.

No offense but i find the idea of preordained life time really crappy, it kinds means we are just along for the ride,

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Its easy to make such a dream claim when your only proof is dead.

Did you see men in black um 3?

Spoiler alerts

Its a time travel idea an alien "Griffin" who supposed to be able to see all possible outcomes at every moment is vaugely helping the heros and they are working hard and failing to change the future as they desire,

Griffin explans to them where there is death their will always be death,

Not unlike what you are talking about and how HG went at it in the time machine.

No offense but i find the idea of preordained life time really crappy, it kinds means we are just along for the ride,

I am sorry that my comments about a preordained life time to you is a crappy thought. But it is my belief and in reality I am not asking anyone to follow my lead, I was only sharing my perspective on existence. By Buddhist beliefs life is a circle each of us walk there is a beginning, a middle, and the End, and like you said we are all along for the ride according to Buddhist beliefs. But, also according to those beliefs it's not the end, it's only the beginning of your journey.

Take Care Bats

To me, that begs the question of what does this preordaining. 

My pleasure, Manwon.

• Like 1

I am sorry that my comments about a preordained life time to you is a crappy thought. But it is my belief and in reality I am not asking anyone to follow my lead, I was only sharing my perspective on existence. By Buddhist beliefs life is a circle each of us walk there is a beginning, a middle, and the End, and like you said we are all along for the ride according to Buddhist beliefs. But, also according to those beliefs it's not the end, it's only the beginning of your journey.

Take Care Bats

Its not personal, i would just like to believe my path is of my free will to chose not prewritten.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

To me, that begs the question of what does this preordaining

Iiuc Its like saying its always been written you and i would banter mandela effect when we did and i would be making this reply to you now its all a bit too controlled for my taste.

Edited by the13bats
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

To me, that begs the question of what does this preordaining. 

My pleasure, Manwon.

What I was trying to say is your death is preordained by the way you live your life.  So according to the life style we choose we also choose how and when we will die. Everything is fluid, and everything is changing around us, however, our past determines our present, and our present determines our future and our own actions lock everything in stone. 

Speaking about great guitar players I have a video I would like you to watch, and then give me your opinion about it. During the charity even called a tribute concert for George Harrison, Prince was asked to perform during the song My Guitar Gently Weeps. Until I saw this performance I never viewed Prince as a serious Rock Guitarist. But after his performance I have personality my opinion of him changed in a major way!

Every time I watch this solo it reminds of the Jimi Hendrix solo at Woodstock festival. Amazing solo by Prince.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Its not personal, i would just like to believe my path is of my free will to chose not prewritten.

I am not telling you that you can't, again I only said that was my perspective. Whatever, you choose to believe is wonderful and I am happy for you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

What I was trying to say is your death is preordained by the way you live your life.  So according to the life style we choose we also choose how and when we will die. Everything is fluid, and everything is changing around us, however, our past determines our present, and our present determines our future and our own actions lock everything in stone. 

In my way of thinking perhaps im askew to what "preordained" means but i was under the impression you were saying for example it was always written i would be born on the fay i was and die the day i will die, you are rewording it a bit now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

In my way of thinking perhaps im askew to what "preordained" means but i was under the impression you were saying for example it was always written i would be born on the fay i was and die the day i will die, you are rewording it a bit now.

That's because I wasn't clear the first time around, and when I reread my comments I realized my mistake so I corrected.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1