Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
itsnotoutthere

Home Depot to face boycott

95 posts in this topic

itsnotoutthere
Posted (edited)

Religious leaders in Georgia on Tuesday will call for a boycott of Home Depot Inc (HD.N) because of its silence on the state’s new voting curbs that activists say make it harder for Black people and other racial minorities to vote. Other Georgia-based corporations - including Delta Air Lines Inc (DAL.N) and Coca-Cola Co (KO.N) - have been meeting with the activists for weeks and issued statements opposing the voting restrictions.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/home-depot-face-boycott-over-georgia-voting-curbs-2021-04-20/

Can someone please explain to me why these new voting rules make it harder for black people to vote (i.e. more so than any other ethnicity). Serious question.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

spartan max2
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Can someone please explain to me why these new voting rules make it harder for black people to vote (i.e. more so than any other ethnicity). Serious question.

Good luck getting someone to give you a rational explanation on that :lol: lol.

Edit:

Here is an NYT rundown of the law

https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/us/politics/georgia-voting-law-annotated.amp.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16189357898943&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2021%2F04%2F02%2Fus%2Fpolitics%2Fgeorgia-voting-law-annotated.html

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

and then
48 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

It's a question they cannot answer.  Fortunately for them, the media buttresses every bit of nonsense they spew and they seem to think they can actually dictate reality.  If they ram through HR1 and codify their means of cheating by mail, this country will be irretrievably broken.

• Like 3

OverSword
51 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Can someone please explain to me why these new voting rules make it harder for black people to vote

Because it's Jim Crow 2.0.  Don't you pay attention?  Minorities don't know how to get state ID.  They're just to poor and too repressed to know how. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OverSword
9 minutes ago, and then said:

It's a question they cannot answer.  Fortunately for them, the media buttresses every bit of nonsense they spew and they seem to think they can actually dictate reality.  If they ram through HR1 and codify their means of cheating by mail, this country will be irretrievably broken.

Why do you believe that voting by mail is cheating?

Kenemet
51 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I have a friend in Georgia who is being disenfranchised by this law.  Spoiler alert:  he's disabled  and living in a nursing home and doesn't have easy access to any of the documentation they want -- nor does he have any reliable transportation to polling locations.

So he has a smaller window in which to vote, and his absentee voting depends on staff getting the mail to him (not always delivered on the same day) and mailed out (this is not within his control; it depends on the staff getting time to do mail) in a timely manner.

Voting in person would be very difficult since he's a double amputee and weighs over 300 lbs and has no powered wheelchair.

They can't ask for a mobile voting center to be set up in their neighborhood, and since this is not a wealthy area, one of their voting locations was removed.

He'll have to request an absentee ballot every time, which means being constantly aware of upcoming voting issues.

I don't think that he ever drove (and certainly hasn't within the past 20 years) so "photo ID" is a problem for him.  Getting out to get that photo ID is quite difficult and requires a lot of help from the nursing home staff.

He's Caucasian...but Blacks and other minorities face these exact same issues - transportation, etc.  They also face the problem of not being allowed time off (for lower paying jobs) to go vote.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

spartan max2
8 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I have a friend in Georgia who is being disenfranchised by this law.  Spoiler alert:  he's disabled  and living in a nursing home and doesn't have easy access to any of the documentation they want -- nor does he have any reliable transportation to polling locations.

So he has a smaller window in which to vote, and his absentee voting depends on staff getting the mail to him (not always delivered on the same day) and mailed out (this is not within his control; it depends on the staff getting time to do mail) in a timely manner.

Voting in person would be very difficult since he's a double amputee and weighs over 300 lbs and has no powered wheelchair.

They can't ask for a mobile voting center to be set up in their neighborhood, and since this is not a wealthy area, one of their voting locations was removed.

He'll have to request an absentee ballot every time, which means being constantly aware of upcoming voting issues.

I don't think that he ever drove (and certainly hasn't within the past 20 years) so "photo ID" is a problem for him.  Getting out to get that photo ID is quite difficult and requires a lot of help from the nursing home staff.

He's Caucasian...but Blacks and other minorities face these exact same issues - transportation, etc.  They also face the problem of not being allowed time off (for lower paying jobs) to go vote.

If he forgot his social security number the nursing home should have it.

There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.

Page 38: In order to confirm the identity of the voter, such form shall require the elector to provide his or her name, date of birth, address as registered, address where the elector wishes the ballot to be mailed, and the number of his or her Georgia driver’s license or identification card issued … If such elector does not have a Georgia driver’s license or identification card … the elector shall affirm this fact in the manner prescribed in the application and the elector shall provide a copy of a form of identification … The form made available by the Secretary of State shall include a space to affix a photocopy or electronic image of such identification.

Page 57: In order to verify that the absentee ballot was voted by the elector who requested the ballot, the elector shall print the number of his or her Georgia driver’s license number or identification card … in the space provided on the outer oath envelope. The elector shall also print his or her date of birth in the space provided in the outer oath envelope.

If the elector does not have a Georgia driver’s license or state identification card … the elector shall so affirm in the space provided on the outer oath envelope and print the last four digits of his or her social security number in the space provided on the outer oath envelope.

If the elector does not have a Georgia driver’s license, identification card … or a social security number, the elector shall so affirm in the space provided on the outer oath envelope and place a copy of one of the forms of identification in the outer envelope

aztek

makes you wonder how minorities get welfare card, food stamp card, and driver license, lets ban those too, they are racist lol

• Like 4

spartan max2

Just for info of the absentee ballot time change.

Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots.

Page 38: Not m̶o̶r̶e̶ earlier than 1̶8̶0̶ 78 days or less than 11 days prior to the date of the primary or election, or runoff of either, in which the elector desires to vote, any absentee elector may make, either by mail, by facsimile transmission, by electronic transmission, or in person in the registrar’s or absentee ballot clerk’s office, an application for an official ballot of the elector’s precinct to be voted at such primary, election, or runoff.

and then
1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Why do you believe that voting by mail is cheating?

Because in several of the states that began using widespread vote by mail in this election it was fraught with security breaches, lack of signatures, thousands of ballots counted without ANY verification that they were cast by eligible voters... I realize that a few states have perfected this process over time but oddly enough, it was only the battleground states that were trying it on a mass scale, last minute and untested.  They flooded the mail with ballots and no security.  PA had over 200K votes cast IN EXCESS of the number of registered voters.  Hell, I recently saw a piece citing a 6% over vote beyond registered voters even in Montana.

This conversation isn't welcome here but the truth is that the evidence of these problems WAS presented and the courts refused to take it up and evaluate it.  If the same thing happens again, our elections will be effectively gutted of trust and that is the last bond we have.  Multiple states are plodding along, workman-like, investigating and auditing and compiling evidence of what was done.  Passing HR1 is going to signal the beginning of the end.  It simply will NOT be allowed to stand.

9 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Then he needs special help and I'm pretty sure he can get it if he pursues it.  There is a major difference between such special circumstances and the demand for widespread dissemination of unsolicited ballots, ballot harvesting, drop boxes, and in HR1 - NO SIGNATURE requirement.  No serious individual can call this anything except a set up to enable fraud on a massive scale.  Once trust in our system is lost, this country is done.  You cannot have half or more Americans drop out of the process because they can see the fraud and also see that no court or legislature is doing anything about it.  People will rebel against a government they see as illegitimate.

• Thanks 1

OverSword
17 minutes ago, and then said:

Because in several of the states that began using widespread vote by mail in this election it was fraught with security breaches, lack of signatures, thousands of ballots counted without ANY verification that they were cast by eligible voters... I realize that a few states have perfected this process over time but oddly enough, it was only the battleground states that were trying it on a mass scale, last minute and untested. 

It reportedly took five years to set up our system which works fine.  As a system it's not inherently more flawed than reporting to a polling station and voting in person.  It's actually better, ballots are issued with a unique identifier to prevent counterfeits, you have from the day you receive your ballot until the day your vote is due to get it in, and more people vote.  I agree, mass mail in voting on set up on the fly was not a great idea but a one properly put in place is superior.  

Guyver

I like it when businesses stay out of politics.  I’m going to Home Depot in just a few minutes, and I plan to spend my hard-earned money there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

OverSword
37 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Absentee ballots are not being outlawed and that is how your friend should be voting.  How do these laws prevent that? How is he disenfranchised?  Pretty sure any state in the union has voting programs to assist people just like this.

Kenemet
11 minutes ago, and then said:

Because in several of the states that began using widespread vote by mail in this election it was fraught with security breaches, lack of signatures, thousands of ballots counted without ANY verification that they were cast by eligible voters...

I think you should amend this to "it was claimed that..."  and acknowledge that there were multiple recounts (by officials of both parties) and no widespread fraud was found (nor in the numbers that you're suggesting.)

PA had over 200K votes cast IN EXCESS of the number of registered voters.  Hell, I recently saw a piece citing a 6% over vote beyond registered voters even in Montana.

Both of these are wrong.  Heck, just look at the numbers for the states -- they're publicly available all over the place.  Number of eligible voters, number of registered voters, number of votes, how many people are living in the state at election time.  Don't look at "how many voted last election" because, frankly, most eligible voters in America don't bother to vote.

Here's the Pennsylvania stats, as counted and reported: https://www.dos.pa.gov/VotingElections/OtherServicesEvents/VotingElectionStatistics/Documents/2020 Primary VR Stats FINAL.pdf

This conversation isn't welcome here but the truth is that the evidence of these problems WAS presented and the courts refused to take it up and evaluate it.

Again, not true.  What happened is that the evidence was "Jim told me that" or "I wandered around and saw" and when documentation was asked for, none was provided -- and in some cases the "evidence" proved to be something else entirely.  Courts don't hear cases based on "so-and-so said."

If you doubt that elections are fair and impartial, then I invite you to do what I'm doing at the end of the month -- get training and become involved in the elections as a clerk.

If there's fraud (and I think you won't find any), you will see it reliably AS a clerk.  And you can report it and document it and your word is going to shake up the elections commission.  Don't do it as a "poll watcher" because I can tell you that poll watchers have no clue about what's going on.  

Step up and get involved in actually running elections.  THEN talk about fraud (and then you can discuss why not one of the hundreds of thousands of poll workers (judges and clerks) in the United States stepped up to howl about fraud.  Because if they yell about it, you can bet your boots that their voices and evidence will be taken VERY seriously by the courts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Gromdor
12 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I like it when businesses stay out of politics.  I’m going to Home Depot in just a few minutes, and I plan to spend my hard-earned money there.

I wish they would stay out of politics too.  But until we change our lobbying laws, theirs is the voice that politicians hear and theirs is the money that goes into politician's campaigns.  Boycotting them en masse is about the only way the little guy has to influence these giant corporations and thus the politicians.  

• Like 3

papageorge1
1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

The argument is that since blacks disproportionately will not meet the identification requirements the rules are intended to be racist. 

It doesn't seem to me the new identification requirements are unnecessarily restrictive.

The Left must have too much energy and too few strong cases of injustice to worry about if they are boycotting Home Depot for not getting involved in something that has nothing to do with Home Depot. 

The Left has their pet causes and the media loves to fan flames. 

rashore
2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Religious leaders in Georgia on Tuesday will call for a boycott of Home Depot Inc (HD.N) because of its silence on the state’s new voting curbs that activists say make it harder for Black people and other racial minorities to vote. Other Georgia-based corporations - including Delta Air Lines Inc (DAL.N) and Coca-Cola Co (KO.N) - have been meeting with the activists for weeks and issued statements opposing the voting restrictions.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/home-depot-face-boycott-over-georgia-voting-curbs-2021-04-20/

That's a new one. I could swear till just recently companies were complained about for making political statements, or boycotted.... but now we are complaining/boycotting because a company is not making political statements and just being a company?

spartan max2
2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The argument is that since blacks disproportionately will not meet the identification requirements the rules are intended to be racist. 

Is that even a proven thing though?

• Like 3

WVK

In response Lowe’s goes Woke?

• Haha 1

HandsomeGorilla

Yawn... 

Just more 'blacks can't do anything on their own' tripe from the usual suspects

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Gromdor
11 minutes ago, rashore said:

That's a new one. I could swear till just recently companies were complained about for making political statements, or boycotted.... but now we are complaining/boycotting because a company is not making political statements and just being a company?

Well one of the co-founders for Home Depot is a Republican megadonor that had a bit of buyer's remorse with Trump over the election: Billionaire Ken Langone feels 'betrayed' by Trump over riots (nypost.com)

I think all this is another push or jab to sway him and Home Depot more.

rashore
3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Well one of the co-founders for Home Depot is a Republican megadonor that had a bit of buyer's remorse with Trump over the election: Billionaire Ken Langone feels 'betrayed' by Trump over riots (nypost.com)

I think all this is another push or jab to sway him and Home Depot more.

I didn't know HD had already been political. The current complaint about them not being political makes a bit more sense then. 

• Like 1

Gromdor

You know, I read the article you linked but it never says in it that it was because it would make it harder for Black people and other racial minorities to vote.  The only time it even mentioned "black" was when it said "Black religious leaders called for a boycott...".

• Like 1

OverSword
19 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Is that even a proven thing though?

Even if it's true that more minorities don't meet the ID standards that's on them.  Anyone can get ID.  There is no law keeping them from it.  It's a complete bull **** excuse.  It's actually a racist claim to make IMO, supposing that minorities are too dumb to get ID.  Racist white leftist idiots that think everything revolves around them and that they are right about everything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

ted hughes
1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

The Tory Party in the UK is proposing similar changes to try to ensure only the people they want to vote will be able to.  It is being brought in (or proposed ) under the pretext that it will prevent voter fraud, though that is actually insignificant. The Tory Party know that the people who are likely not to support them are also unlikely to have ready access to ID, not having cars or passports basically because they can't afford them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1